Am I the only one who finds it unfair to expect Kids to fend for themselves after 18?

Options
MAKAVELI25
MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
This ? is confounding to me. How do you as a parent choose to have kids and then expect them to fend for themselves just because they are LEGALLY adults? I find it mind boggling when I see so many of my friends that have to pay their own ways through college/are kicked out of the house after high school. If you cannot afford to send your kid to college that's one thing, but if you choose not to do it because of some principle you are being unfair. Kids don't choose to be born, if you are just going to toss them out at so young an age then don't have them in the first place.

:Thanks ? for having parents who would be willing to take me back in the house at age 40 if needed:

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    So, its cool to be a ? ass ? ?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with kicking legal adults the ? out.

As a courtesy, they can finish high school if their birthday is in the first half of the year.
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes you are. You are 18. If you can't get your own money, just Joe Sun yourself.
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. 18 is not a mature age generally speaking. The way I think now is so different than when I was 18. Even mentally when I was in my early 20s was so different than when I was 18.
  • Louis Cipher
    Louis Cipher Members Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think it all depends on the kid. i guarantee you all those kids that get kicked out at 18 were some disrespectful little ? ...i bet if they acted better/treated their parents better there would have been no problem...you cant act like an ass for years when you parents have to help you...then when you legally grown be shocked when they cut you off...

i speak from experience...as a parent
  • MAKAVELI25
    Options
    So, its cool to be a ? ass ? ?

Read the Original Post. ? are trying to go to college and their parents are telling e'm to handle it solo. If you're broke I understand, but to do it out of principle?
  • MAKAVELI25
    Options
    Yes you are. You are 18. If you can't get your own money, just Joe Sun yourself.

So asking for some help with college tuition means you should commit dat?
  • Louis Cipher
    Options
    op...youre young...its easy to speak on things when you have experience. live a little.

ofcourse you think its harsh...you are probably in that age bracket yourself and have just watched it happen to one of your friends...theres a reason the parents did what they did
  • #lilflexlikezeno
    #lilflexlikezeno Members Posts: 412
    Options
    it depends on the kid and the situation

some ppl go off to college some kids move out on their own

all i know is when i was 18 i was working and going to community college

if i wasnt in school id have been kicked out
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cant do much with a highshool education and a minimum wage job...yet I know some parents who kick thier kids out at 18
  • #lilflexlikezeno
    Options
    if ur 18 and dont have a job or in college your not doing ? in this day and age

ur either headed to prison or the homeless shelter in 5 years

join the military
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @lilflex that's a good point. I probably would've been kicked out too if I hadn't been in school.
  • Leah_Bonita
    Leah_Bonita Members Posts: 839 ✭✭✭
    Options
    well im 18&doing just fine without my moms or pops on the other hand i have a cousin whose 21&deadass spoiled by his mom&dad never had to work for ? ? is super smart but decided to stay at a college only two towns over from his parents house cause he didnt wanna be to far away smh the worlds going to rip that boy a new ? when his finally on his own
  • Louis Cipher
    Options
    what yall expect? your parents just gonna let you lay around and do nothing? if you not going to school or working....what exactly are you doing? going to the club...smoking weed...smashing broads?

im not supporting a grown as person who just laying around...eating my food and doing nothing....
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My problem isn't necessarily expecting kids to fend for themselves after 18, it's when parents don't put their children up on game and then expect them to just get it together when they kick them out. It's the equivalent of a Lioness not teaching her cubs to hunt before sending them on their own.
  • #lilflexlikezeno
    edited May 2012
    Options
    u also gotta look at what the parents gave the kid too

if your parents gave you the toolst to succed and u still suck its ur fault

my mom raised me to work and go to school therefore by age 18 i was doing both
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    as long as i was in school or working my mother was ok with me staying home, once i felt i was good to be on my own i left yet im always welcomed back if need be.

and i'll be the same as long as my kids are either in school or working they'll can stay
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote:
    This ? is confounding to me. How do you as a parent choose to have kids and then expect them to fend for themselves just because they are LEGALLY adults? I find it mind boggling when I see so many of my friends that have to pay their own ways through college/are kicked out of the house after high school. If you cannot afford to send your kid to college that's one thing, but if you choose not to do it because of some principle you are being unfair. Kids don't choose to be born, if you are just going to toss them out at so young an age then don't have them in the first place.

:Thanks ? for having parents who would be willing to take me back in the house at age 40 if needed:

Nah, I completely agree. In this current society a HS diploma means nothing. Parents need to take on the responsibility and make sure they give their kids a chance to succeed in the world, by preparing them to go to college or by teaching them how to start their own business etc.

It doesn't make sense when parents kick their kids out at 18, because all they're doing is forcing the kid to struggle for the next sum-odd years just to get to a place in life where they can live comfortably. Instead of kicking them out, they should make it a requirement that the kid help out on some bills or if they don't have any money, they can do some work around the house. If they're stuck on kicking him out at 18, they should at the very least give the kid a heads up that he has to leave at 18, and raise him in such a way so he's fully capable of living by himself when the time comes.
  • L.I.P.
    L.I.P. Members Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Totally depends on the child and the relationship with the parents imo. You gotta be doing something productive whether it be at least working or going to school cuz laziness don't get anyone anywhere. You can't sit on your ass all day, I think the parent should help the child stand on their own. With that said, I don't even know if I could do that to my own child. Haven't been there yet and I'm not even close.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    For the most part though, I think it's a myth. I've never personally known someone who got kicked out of the house at 18. Everyone I know was allowed to stay at the house until they finished their Bachelors/Masters, or until they felt like moving out on their own.
  • In Your Moms Room
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »

So asking for some help with college tuition means you should commit dat?

Yea bro. Get a job, get finiacial aid and do that ? by yourself.
  • #lilflexlikezeno
    Options
    For the most part though, I think it's a myth. I've never personally known someone who got kicked out of the house at 18. Everyone I knew was allowed to stay at the house until they finished their Bachelors/Masters, or until they felt like moving out on their own.

idk where u livin at talkin bout stayin with ur parents til your 24-25 years old

my kids out by 21 no exceptions
  • In Your Moms Room
    Options
    Kicked out at 18 post.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My wife and I have awesome parents, they both back us 100% whenever we need, ? , both our families do.

I'll never boot my kids for any reason (besides criminal ? ).

That whole 18 ? is wack, most kids ain't mature until 25+ and even then they still might not be mature enough. Parents are just usually lazy and have had enough, so they use the ? excuse of "you're 18, peace out".

• #lilflexlikezeno
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    My wife and I have awesome parents, they both back us 100% whenever we need, ? , both our families do.

I'll never boot my kids for any reason (besides criminal ? ).

That whole 18 ? is wack, most kids ain't mature until 25+ and even then they still might not be mature enough. Parents are just usually lazy and have had enough, so they use the ? excuse of "you're 18, peace out".

smh @ not knowing how the world works til your 25 years old