"Wii U is a Powerful, Powerful Machine...More Modern Tech Than 360/PS3"

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in IllGaming
Wii U Is A “Powerful, Powerful Machine”
Posted on May 25, 2012 by sickr

Gearbox senior producer Brian Burleson has openly described the Wii U as a “powerful, powerful machine”. Burleson explained that although he’s unable to talk about the specifications of Nintendo’s forthcoming console, he personally believes that Aliens Colonial Marines Wii U will ultimately be the best version of the game.

“[Creating the Wii U version] has been pretty easy. The Wii U is a powerful, powerful machine and it can do a lot of cool new things. And so the game itself, moving it over to work on the Wii U was not much of a chore.”

“Now the interesting thing is finding out all the cool ways you can use the controller to do new stuff with it. You can imagine all the cool things we can do, with this franchise and having a thing with you, right?”

“You can imagine some cool features, for sure,” Burleson said. “It’s not hard to imagine some cool features.”

The Wii U’s power, though, is “one thing I can’t talk about”, he said. “Actually nailing the specs, they haven’t come out with them yet.”

But, the Wii U version of Aliens will “be better” than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version in terms of visuals, he confirmed. Why? Because of “more modern tech”.

How, exactly, will it be better? “You’ll have to wait and see,” Burleson teased. “Just trust me on that one.”

Comments

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wii U Darksiders 2 graphics "at least as good" as PS3, Xbox 360 versions'
    By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 23 May, 2012
    Having inventory, map on the controller "will change people's perceptions".

The graphics of the Wii U version of Darksiders 2 are "at least as good" as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions', developer Vigil has said.

Game companies and developers are under strict orders not to discuss the Wii U in detail publicly, a directive that has led to speculation about the horsepower of Nintendo's Wi successor. Indeed one report from earlier this year claimed the Wii U was "not as capable" as the PS3 and Xbox 360.

But with final developer kits now with engineers, and Nintendo just two weeks away from unveiling the final version of the hardware at E3, Vigil has insisted Wii U owners will see visual parity when it comes to multiplatform games.

"The visuals will be the same," associate producer Jay Fitzloff told Eurogamer. "It's still a work in progress. But I know, at least as good is the way to say it."

In July last Vigil told Eurogamer it spent just five weeks in the run up to E3 2011 creating a working version of the action adventure game on Wii U. Then, Vigil said the Wii U had "plenty of horsepower", "so we're not going to have to make any visual concessions at all".

At that time developers were working off of second generation Wii U dev kits - early versions of the console - and its horsepower was in flux. Then, game director Marvin Donald said, "If the Wii U turns out to be this ridiculously powerful machine, we will probably make changes to our budget and scope to take advantage of that." This hasn't happened.

"[Getting Darksiders 2 working on Wii U] is not as challenging as you might think," Fitzloff said. "Getting it working was not any issue on the Wii U. It's just the control scheme. It's new territory. It's a new frontier. The Wii, after a while, there's a lot you could have done with the Wii controls, but everybody kind of got into a groove, and it became, here's how you handle this or here's how you handle this. Now it's the wild frontier. There's no set system. You've got to think outside the box because there's no precedence.

"It's not getting the game working on the system. It's getting a cool control system that feels correct. And that's where we're at now."

Vigil was even able to quickly get Darksiders 2 running with the Wii U controller, which can stream gameplay from the console.

"When we first got it up and running, you can have the game download to and run on the pad, and everybody was like, that could take a while, little worried," Fitzloff explained. "It took a programmer two lines of code and five minutes. Working with it is not difficult."

Darksiders 2 will use the Wii U controller in obvious ways - for inventory and map use - but the impact of these "no brainers" on gameplay is, according to Fitzloff, huge.

"Any game would have their inventory on the controller screen," he said. "But even that little simple thing is a big difference because you never have to stop the game on the main screen. That will change people's perceptions because you've never had a game where you didn't have to.

"They take you out [of the experience], whereas this just goes."

He added: "And you're talking about the low hanging fruit. You're talking about the easy stuff. The rest of it is where the challenge comes in. What do we do beyond that that makes it feel natural and integral?"

One developer working on Wii U, who wished to remain anonymous, told Eurogamer Wii U ports will at best look as good as PS3 and Xbox 360 games. However, he indicated gamers will only see its true graphics capabilities with games built from the ground up for Wii U later in its life cycle.

For its part, Nintendo has said its focus with the Wii U is gameplay, not graphics. "We do not focus on technology specs," Nintendo said in March of this year. "We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ocelot
    Options
    What's good about these articles is that we'll all see in two weeks...
  • CitySojourner
    CitySojourner Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hearing about a brand new console being touted as "at least as good" as consoles that have been out for several years isn't the best endorsement. But i'll reserve judgement until I see some videos around e3.

Does anyone know why 'judgement' comes up as incorrectly spelled here?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    nintendo wont dissapoint i think
  • ocelot
    Options
    I expect a Mario game, Zelda, WiiU Fit/ Play, and Smash Brothers with promises of having 3 party support and Better Online... Just like E3 06...

I would like to see ZOE3 on it tho... But don't just a tacked on port
  • focus
    Options
    Hearing about a brand new console being touted as "at least as good" as consoles that have been out for several years isn't the best endorsement. But i'll reserve judgement until I see some videos around e3.

*sighs*

"At least as good"...is a postive thing. If they said "its at most as powerful as current gen consoles", that would be the bad thing.
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too bad it wont be as powerful as the next gen Xbox and Playstation
  • CitySojourner
    CitySojourner Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »

*sighs*

"At least as good"...is a postive thing. If they said "its at most as powerful as current gen consoles", that would be the bad thing.

You ain't dropping knowledge so what the ? you sighing for?! It's a subjective statement and I interpret "At least as good" as more of a positive spin. Considering this is the newest console it should graphically be beyond whatever standards older consoles had already set. So far all we've heard from game developers is that it's graphically not that impressive, "at least as good" is the best thing i've heard but that doesn't mean much. If he really thought it looked better he would have stated so, equating it to being on par with two consoles that are years old isn't really a good thing and doesn't necessarily mean it has the potential to be better.

What if Sony came out with the PS4 and said it's at least as good as the PS3???

Thanks for that @Sion., oddly enough i'm from the states but living overseas and somehow began spelling it the UK way.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does anyone know why 'judgement' comes up as incorrectly spelled here?

Depends on your Language settings. UK English and US English differ. Some words are spelt differently.

Same with me. Like "spelt" above ............. lol
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's fine and all, but how much 3rd party support will the wii u get? That's the question
  • focus
    Options

You ain't dropping knowledge so what the ? you sighing for?! It's a subjective statement and I interpret "At least as good" as more of a positive spin. Considering this is the newest console it should graphically be beyond whatever standards older consoles had already set. So far all we've heard from game developers is that it's graphically not that impressive, "at least as good" is the best thing i've heard...

Thread title.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »

I would like to see ZOE3 on it tho... But don't just a tacked on port

this would be kinda goat
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    seems to me they are still competing with 2006 lol
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Options
    UE4 not targeted at Wii U, is more suited to UE3.

ue4nowiiucmur3.png
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah... Wii U looks very powerful... much more modern tech than PS3 (6 year old system)

NINTENDO_LAND_thumb.jpg

project_p-100_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

No wonder ? ass ford focus has disappeared.
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo can't compete on a technical level, they have the capital no doubt, but being on an even field with sony and ms means they lose. It's no wonder they forgo power nowadays. Gamecube was up to par, even more powerful than the ps2 and look how that ? turned out. N64 was more powerful than the ps2 and that was beaten out by the new kid. Mix in the palpable resent from 3rd parties with an expensive price tag and you've got a giant L on your hands.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    imm0rt4l wrote: »
    Nintendo can't compete on a technical level, they have the capital no doubt, but being on an even field with sony and ms means they lose. It's no wonder they forgo power nowadays. Gamecube was up to par, even more powerful than the ps2 and look how that ? turned out. N64 was more powerful than the ps2 and that was beaten out by the new kid. Mix in the palpable resent from 3rd parties with an expensive price tag and you've got a giant L on your hands.

This is what I have been saying for years and their game engines are very poor.Even on the GC nothing from Nintendo was technically on the level of Gran Turismo, GOW or Shadow of the Colossus. Wind Waker felt so clunky and flat.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I don't care so much about the graphics. You really have to look hard to see the difference between the PS3 and the 360. Most likely, the new Sony and Microsoft consoles graphics will be more power then the Wii U. I do care about how innovative the Wii U is. Sony and Microsoft will most likely copy Nintendo again but Nintendo has a head start on them.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem is that the consoles reached a point where graphics don't matter as much anymore. We damn near reached virtual reality and the budget in games are the same as movies. I ain't gonna spend $4-600 on a gaming console again
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    Yeah... Wii U looks very powerful... much more modern tech than PS3 (6 year old system)

NINTENDO_LAND_thumb.jpg

That's not a bad thing tho....

None of Nintendo's games are graphical masterpieces. Nintendo is more concerned with gameplay something a lot of companies these days have forgotten. Nowadays ? is just watching a 10 hour movie, they do everything for you and instruct you on where to go (i.e. FF13, Infamous, etc.). I'm all for nice graphics every now and then depending on the game but honestly how good do graphics have to be ? ? if my mascot is cartoon character why would I try to make him and his cohorts as human-looking as possible ? If you tryna make games that are memorable you have to make them fun. Graphics will take u only so far until someone else tops it.

What do you remember more ? the fact that Super Mario Bros 3 was the pinnacle of great graphics for it's time or how fun it was to play that joint when you were growin up ? Nintendo doesnt have to rely on good graphics to sell like Sony does & we all seen what happened to Sony and need I remind you Sega.....

Just my 2 cents......

co ? sign.

and that's why next go round i'm getting a nintendo...

xbox>>>> xbox 360
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "more modern tech than 360/ps3"
    lolwut?
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So sion would prefer to play an updated contra type game over mgs4?
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just read the thread title again .......................

ShaqLaugh.gif

mj-laughing2.gif

1836179_o.gif

1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif&size=400x1000

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »

NINTENDO_LAND_thumb.jpg

That's not a bad thing tho....

None of Nintendo's games are graphical masterpieces. Nintendo is more concerned with gameplay something a lot of companies these days have forgotten. Nowadays ? is just watching a 10 hour movie, they do everything for you and instruct you on where to go (i.e. FF13, Infamous, etc.). I'm all for nice graphics every now and then depending on the game but honestly how good do graphics have to be ? ? if my mascot is cartoon character why would I try to make him and his cohorts as human-looking as possible ? If you tryna make games that are memorable you have to make them fun. Graphics will take u only so far until someone else tops it.

What do you remember more ? the fact that Super Mario Bros 3 was the pinnacle of great graphics for it's time or how fun it was to play that joint when you were growin up ? Nintendo doesnt have to rely on good graphics to sell like Sony does & we all seen what happened to Sony and need I remind you Sega.....

Just my 2 cents......

i had to c/s and quote this for trillness. been down wit nintendo since NES. my only gripe with nintendo is that they do need to improve greatly on the graphics, and have better 3rd party support. the mario, zelda, and metroid games care cool, but damn. my opinion, they dropped the ball with the wii. yes it sold like crazy. but what good is a console if you don't have any good games to go with it?