"They take the greats from the past and compare us... I wonder if they'd ever survive in this era"

Options
ocelot
ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Reason
First person I thought of when I heard that line was Eminem... Not saying he didnt make good music or he wasnt lyrical... but now that ? people run Hollywood and Hip Hop do you think he could get away with the things he was saying about them? Look at Kanye... He said what he said about Bush and he was cool... Did what he did to Taylor and he was stripped of his man hood and the revolutionist we once had is on Good Morning America apologizing ( thats the day I knew we lost Kanye)... Do you think Em would still sell today like he did 12 years ago? Or would he be the new spoke person for GLADD and not have an opinion on how he feels about people... Seems like today we have to watch what we say or we lose everything... On that note

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY2p7oE7Bpw

Comments

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Em actually had his biggest selling album since MMLP with Recovery, but that was a country album, so...

No, these cats now would not survive in the 90s/early 2000s. Drake is asinine for even thinking of that line. He'd be a 2nd rate mc at best in the 90s. Back then you needed a certain lyrical ferocity, or even if you were on some peaceful ? (ATCQ, De La Soul), have some meaning behind it. These cats don't have the backbone to hold their own with the greats.
  • ocelot
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Em actually had his biggest selling album since MMLP with Recovery, but that was a country album, so...

No, these cats now would not survive in the 90s/early 2000s. Drake is asinine for even thinking of that line. He'd be a 2nd rate mc at best in the 90s. Back then you needed a certain lyrical ferocity, or even if you were on some peaceful ? (ATCQ, De La Soul), have some meaning behind it. These cats don't have the backbone to hold their own with the greats.

Em had the biggest selling album but that was for its time... If MMLP came out now I still think it would be a success but I dont think Em would have a career after that because the ? people that runs Hip Hop wouldnt allow it... Look at Mel Gibson or Charlie Sheen... They said what they really felt and we havent heard from them since... Jews and ? people run mainstream Hip Hop now so Hip Hop isnt above the rule. And if they did stop his music which is his source of income... would he pull a Kanye and say he was sorry and be a spoke person for GLADD.. or would he still have that IDGAF additude and go back to the trailer park in 8 mile...

• ocelot
    edited May 2012
    Options
    My whole thing is we talk about these artist but we forget that the game has changed... Like Patrice Oneal said to be big in life you have to be part of a cartel... The ? Cartel is the biggest right now and people have to adapt to make money... and like Jigga said you cant knock the hustle... So could the 80s and 90s artist survive in this era knowing that in order to survive you got to be cool with a cartel and not say what you feel... Kanye had the biggest mouth but once them dogs were after him he humbled up real quick and now I dont even hear from the ? ...

Because like Andre 3000 said "But keep in mind, at the time “keep it real was the phrase
    Silly once said now, but those were the days"
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    Oh, I see what you're getting at. Well, on the inverse end, Em did sell with Relapse, which was pretty much MMLP on steroids when it came to shock rap and offensive lyrics, Sure it didn't sell as much, but what is nowadays? Really it's all about input... if you work hard enough and put out quality material, you can pretty much get away with anything. Mel Gibson and Charlie Sheen haven't put out anything viable in years, they're just two old ass white dudes that talk ? ... they have no work as of recent to back themselves up with. Chris Brown beat up a girl, ? off an entire female fanbase... but he bounced back by staying consistent. Just do your job, stay off Twitter, and you'll be alright.
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    Oh, I see what you're getting at. Well, on the inverse end, Em did sell with Relapse, which was pretty much MMLP on steroids when it came to shock rap and offensive lyrics, Sure it didn't sell as much, but what is nowadays? Really it's all about input... if you work hard enough and put out quality material, you can pretty much get away with anything. Mel Gibson and Charlie Sheen haven't put out anything viable in years, they're just two old ass white dudes that talk ? ... they have no work as of recent to back themselves up with. Chris Brown beat up a girl, ? off an entire female fanbase... but he bounced back by staying consistent. Just do your job, stay off Twitter, and you'll be alright.
  • ocelot
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »

Doing his job was part of it but lets not forget this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGHm8AA8Wpw

There was a time when Ike Turner didnt have to speak to anyone about his business
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Drake would have a little more credibility if he didn't run from the challenge of a 'great'.
  • Washington_Red
    Washington_Red Members Posts: 255
    Options
    I'm pretty sure ? , Jews, and White people have always run Hollywood and Hip Hop.

We're talking about Acting and Music right?

The thing is, its a business for the people that run it. Meaning that the only goal is making money. If an artist comes out today with a supposedly controversial message and it makes money, its a win for everybody involved.

Mel Gibson didnt lose his spot because he said negative things about Jews and Blacks. He lost his spot because he shrank his market. If he had another Passion of the Christ type movie in him Hollywood would welcome him and all that money back in a second.

Eminem made a bunch of ? and Jews a bunch of money by being "controversial." After they scooped all the money up off the floor like strippers, Eminem did that show with Elton John and went to Hollywood to make a movie and make them even more money.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? what yall talkin bout
    all this "you used to could say what you wanted" "? and jews and other racist homophobic ? "
    them old ass ? wouldn't survive in this era cuz times and tastes change
    simple as that
    ain't nobody tryna hear no boom bap beat with some abstract q-tip ? on top of them in 2012
  • ocelot
    Options
    I'm pretty sure ? , Jews, and White people have always run Hollywood and Hip Hop.

We're talking about Acting and Music right?

The thing is, its a business for the people that run it. Meaning that the only goal is making money. If an artist comes out today with a supposedly controversial message and it makes money, its a win for everybody involved.

Mel Gibson didnt lose his spot because he said negative things about Jews and Blacks. He lost his spot because he shrank his market. If he had another Passion of the Christ type movie in him Hollywood would welcome him and all that money back in a second.

Eminem made a bunch of ? and Jews a bunch of money by being "controversial." After they scooped all the money up off the floor like strippers, Eminem did that show with Elton John and went to Hollywood to make a movie and make them even more money.

You make good points but let's not act like people get the same support if they didn't have the cartel behind them... I remember Pac said Quincy Jones tried to recruit him and that was when being ? wasn't as acceptable...Let's take Prodigy or Joe Budden... They still make great music but they got blackballed... Do you think if Kanye didn't aponlogize to the world he would still get the marketing dollars?... And what about all the bad TV shows that are bad but they stay on the air until they become popular... Tracy Morgan being a hood guy said all those f@ggot jokes and the ? unit was after him and Tina Fye/ Chris Rock didn't support him... The #1 rule of being a comedian is you can say anything and his peers abandoned him... Could Pac be the Pac of the 90s without the machine behind him? Talent can only get you so far...

• ocelot
    Options
    And Mel didn't lose his spot for saying what he said but he lost that chance to make another Passions or Apocalyptico... Dude was banned from The Hangover 2... and Trannies are in that movie...