Is Rap at an All Time Low?

Options
Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
edited May 2012 in The Reason
? hit me today that this ? is so meehhhh right now. Listening to KRIT's album the other night I was severely disappointed after the homie put out 2 GREAT mixtapes and he's one of the "hopeful" up and comers to most of us. Solid album no doubt, but bar is set high after u put out so much great material for free.

When I first signed up to this site in '03 I used to live in The Reason due to all the great knowledge being passed around to go along with alot of quality music being released. Now day's I find myself ? IC ? and hanging out in the circus that is Donkey. ? is crazy

Lets see we're almost halfway thru the year and we have 2 maybe 3 solid to good albums out?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz2FN710zmd4z1Y__rcwX-udM1SjTRpjwgS9xTzRV0q0stK1zBhqjsvuDunQ

Comments

• In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol. dude is cocky as ? for ? beezy.

But, i mean, no. There is good music out there. If you don't mess with the ? out today, go listen to the older ? . I'm never the one to say hip hop is dead or dying. Or it's falling off. It's just changing.

Rap/hip-hop is beautiful and is here to stay.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CS...When I first joined I was exclusive to the Reason...Not I'm hardly ever here..

I think that snap music craze was worse than what we're goin' through now...Its just worse these days because of all the different mediums ? ? can get their ? heard
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But, i mean, no. There is good music out there. If you don't mess with the ? out today, go listen to the older ? . I'm never the one to say hip hop is dead or dying. Or it's falling off. It's just changing.

hold up so this thread is really bout him telling the reason he smashed off beezy.

• DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    2006 was worse imo. Only good albums imo was Hell Hath No Fury by The Clipse and F&L by Lupe.

Not to mention that 06-07 was the height of the ringtone-rap era.

...and damn, I ain't hear KRIT's album yet.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    have to agree with in your moms room on this one. All anybody has to do is listen to what they like regardless when it came out. If somebody cant find no rap they like maybe rap aint your thing. that dont mean its no good rap music out there already or coming out. If somebody prefers count basie its a free country enjoy count basie because its plenty people out here who enjoy today's rap.

• Stew
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

hold up so this thread is really bout him telling the reason he smashed off beezy.

lol no ? . Its a point that I got more time on my hands to hang out in them parts rather then The Reason like it was before.
  • Stew
    Options

I always listen to old ? and Im not claiming that rap is dying just seems like ? is really wack at this moment.
  • In Your Moms Room
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I mean, i guess it's what you like. Meek, Jadakiss, and 50s mixtapes are all in rotation, and all piff imo.

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Curren$y givin me consistent music
    Young Roddy mixtape just dropped
    Dreamchasers 2 a lil wack but Meek got songs out
    Tyalor Alderdice givin me that summertime motivation
    Ross' beats continue to fuel my summer, next album will be sick

Idk im good lol Now mainstream rap? Diff question. But if you're a actual hip hop fan, there's plenty dudes out there to follow

edit: Com's ? still gets burn, NEW NAS COMIN....plenty out there
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

lol no ? . Its a point that I got more time on my hands to hang out in them parts rather then The Reason like it was before.

props on the smash off my brother

and yeah i do agree ? i never posted outside the reason for like 2 years when i 1st signed up but this is now the wackest section
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean, i guess it's what you like. Meek, Jadakiss, and 50s mixtapes are all in rotation, and all piff imo.

Come on b.They aint piff.Let´s keep it real.Music quality fell the ? off.It´s not organic anymore.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oh yea, 50 Lost Tapes..heard Cam dropped a new song every day this month...everybody eats, b
  • In Your Moms Room
    edited May 2012
    Options
    They all piff! Especially Meek's. Idc what nobody says. That ? is far from average.

Like i said, it comes down to what you like.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2006 was worse imo. Only good albums imo was Hell Hath No Fury by The Clipse and F&L by Lupe.

Oh so 2006 was worse? See this is what i mean by you ? focusing on the bad music more than the good music. I know it's your opinion and i respect it but really?

You might've not liked ALL but i doubt you listened to most of these. They all are dope to me and some of them made a big noise that year so everything wasn't all snap music at all.

Clipse - "Hell Hath No Fury"
    Ice Cube - "Laugh Now, Cry Later"
    Jay-Z - "Kingdom Come"
    Roots - "Game Theory"
    Lupe - "Food & Liqour"
    Luda - "Release Therapy"
    AZ - "The Format"
    Hi-Tek - "Hi Teknology 2: The Chip"
    Busta Rhymes - "Big Bang"
    Method Man - "4:21.. The Day After"
    E-40 - "Ghetto Report Card"
    Mobb Deep - "Blood Money"
    J. Dilla - "Donuts"
    J. Dilla - "The Shining"
    Juvenile - "Reality Check"
    Dogg Pound - "Cali Iz Active"
    The Game - "Doctor's Advocate"
    Nas - "Hip Hop Is Dead"
    Snoop - "Blue Carpet Treatment"
    Jeezy - "Inspiration: TM 102"
    T.I. - "King"
    Ghostface - "Fishscale"
    Ghostface - "More Fish"
    Styles P - "Time Is Money"
    Lloyd Banks - "Rotten Apple"
    Birdman & Wayne - "Like Father, Like Son"
  • NoCompetition
    Options
    That "ringtone" era really seemed to upset some. The fact that it was 6 years ago and some still down it is a clue. They laughed all the way to the bank and some people still mad about it all this time later. Aint no songs that im still mad about years after they came out.
  • In Your Moms Room
    Options
    that Release Therapy is underrated. ? was on point.

This was and still is my ? .

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you seen what rap was from 05-09, then you can survive this era.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

CirocObama wrote: »

Oh so 2006 was worse? See this is what i mean by you ? focusing on the bad music more than the good music. I know it's your opinion and i respect it but really?

You might've not liked ALL but i doubt you listened to most of these. They all are dope to me and some of them made a big noise that year so everything wasn't all snap music at all.

Jay-Z - "Kingdom Come"
    Roots - "Game Theory"
    Lupe - "Food & Liqour"

Luda - "Release Therapy"
    AZ - "The Format"
    J. Dilla - "Donuts"
    J. Dilla - "The Shining"
    Nas - "Hip Hop Is Dead"
    T.I. - "King"
    Ghostface - "Fishscale"
    Ghostface - "More Fish"

The bolded alone ? on this year entirely. Donuts saved my life in 06.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    If you seen what rap was from 05-09, then you can survive this era.

Was it the crunk era or the snap era.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rap is a young mans game and these days the youth just arent in touch with anything... Thats why, no substance no good music. Thats the only set back to rap, all image no instrument.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Nowadays, mixtapes > albums. Artists can do what they wanna do instead of chasing a hit b/c the label needs to cash in. It ain't as bad as its been, yall act like yall don't remember when Laffy Taffy and Oh I Think They Like Me came out at the same time.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    CirocObama wrote: »

Jay-Z - "Kingdom Come"
    Roots - "Game Theory"
    Lupe - "Food & Liqour"
    Luda - "Release Therapy"
    AZ - "The Format"

J. Dilla - "Donuts"
    J. Dilla - "The Shining"
    Nas - "Hip Hop Is Dead"
    T.I. - "King"
    Ghostface - "Fishscale"

Ghostface - "More Fish"

You right, I undersold 2006. There were a bunch of solid albums. But I did hear songs from all the albums in the bolded.

Music For Life, Hi-Tek, New York ? -Busta, I'm Black-Styles, Let There Be Light-Nas, Help-Lloyd Banks, Where's Your Money?-Busta, Why You Hate The Game-The Game, I Got Money-Jeezy, Still Dreaming-Nas, J.E.E.Z.Y.-Jeezy, That's That-Snoop, What You Know-T.I. and The Format-AZ are my favorite songs from the albums that are underlined that I didn't mention.

And Year of the Dog...Again by DMX dropped that year, my favorite song from that album is Dog Love.

Pain in my Life by Saigon and State of Grace by Raekwon dropped that year too. I ? with those songs.

...and I give you Fishscale, I had the bootleg. That ? was dope.
  • NoCompetition
    Options
    The older you get the less it matters. You got real life to think about so your just happy to hear songs you like. Nobody is wrong for liking particular music, that aint a crime. Kinda gotta let go or youll get bitter cause the world is advancin and you aint. I didnt always think about it like this but its way more important things that matter more than "the current state of rap". Its plenty songs I like past and present and thats all that matters.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's really rappers disappointing with albums thats hurting rap right now because besides that rap has been on the rise. Theres is A LOT of quality music out, it's just as soon as we hype dudes up and anticipate their albums the ? sounds subpar compared to their mixtapes.
  • Stew
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Good point @NoCompetition. Hard to think I wouldnt be involved in it the same If the music today was the same or close to what it was in the 90's early 00's tho