T.O. Released from the Allen Wranglers......

Options
twizza 77
twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19195399/terrell-owens-released-by-allen-wranglers

Never mind Terrell Owens' NFL comeback. Now the former Pro Bowler has more immediate concerns: finding his way back into the Indoor Football League. Because according to the Allen Wranglers, Owens' professional home since February, he has been released. The reason for T.O.'s dismissal?

”The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for Mr. Owens was his no–show to a scheduled appearance at a local children's hospital with other Wrangler players and coaches," team president and co-owner Tommy Benizio said in the statement. "It is not the desire of the Allen Wranglers' organization to disappoint fans by having our most notable player miss a scheduled appearance.”

There's more (of course there is): Team owner Jon Frankel said “Our fans are amongst the best in the league and it is impossible to maintain a player when even our fans notice and comment on a player's lack of effort both on and off the field. We need to do what is best for this team, our fans and this community.”

T.O., via the release, also "recently made it clear that he had no intentions of playing in the team's upcoming crucial away games in Nebraska and Everett."

Owens, who joined the Wranglers with a six-figure salary and an ownership stake in the franchise "will no longer participate as team owner," the statement reads.

For T.O., this becomes the latest incident in a professional life full of them. He has been outspoken at every stop in his NFL journey and has managed to set bridges ablaze on his way out of town. Now he's been kicked off an IFL team where he was also part owner.

Meanwhile, reality flies in the face of what Owens would have us believe. In February, he called the idea that he was a locker-room distraction "all hearsay," adding "If you ask a bunch of my teammates, a lot of it is basically blown out of proportion, the media making me into a fall guy. Overall, will I ever admit that I was a bad teammate? Never. I wasn't a bad teammate. Was I disruptive. No I wasn't disruptive."

Uh-huh.

He also spoke of nearly going broke (but not wanting your pity), before announcing that he would appear on Dr. Phil to be confronted by his three baby mamas.

While his master plan includes a return to the NFL, perhaps Owens should try holding onto a job. Any job.

Comments