Diddy's son gets $54,000 College Scholarship

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
edited May 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
And some fools want him to give it back?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/29/justin-combs-p-diddy-son_n_1554140.html#s76693&title=Lorraine_Nicholson
[Updated at the bottom with UCLA noting that its athletic scholarships come from non-taxpayer funds.]

Should a multimillionaire's son be able to get a free-ride scholarship to a state school that has been struggling with budget cuts and raging student protests?

If that son plays football well, guess so.

Sean "P. Diddy" Combs' teenage boy Justin Combs is getting a full scholarship, worth a reported $54,000, to UCLA:

The U.K.'s Daily Mail reported the news over the holiday weekend and, of course, immediately noted that the son of a guy worth nearly half a billion dollars was getting a free ride.

And we'll note that UCLA is a school where student tuition and fees have nearly tripled in the last 10 years.

He earned this scholarship...no way in hell he should give this back...

Comments

• KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he earned it he earned it

• DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he better hope Suge dont run up on his son out in LA
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good for him yo.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he's gettin' it coz he deserves it...He shouldn't have to decline it...But if Diddy had any morals, he'd give it back

If he is any good. You want to lock him into a scholarship. Without it. Dude can leave the team and play with someone else without penalty!
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? just mad they dont have the talent to receive a scholarship
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he's gettin' it coz he deserves it...He shouldn't have to decline it...But if Diddy had any morals, he'd give it back

This.

On another note, a full ride at UCLA is only 54,000? That seems kinda low.

• blackrain
    Options

This.

It's not covering his full 4 years there...and why should Diddy give it back? It's a merit based scholarship not financial based...for all that then all these 2nd generation athletes at schools who got scholarships while their former athlete parents still have money need to give their scholarships back too...you think if Peyton Manning has a son and he plays football somebody will say "AHh man Peyton's son should give that scholarship back, he don't need it"...you think anybody said that to Chris Simms or any other rich person's kid who went to school on an athletic scholarship?
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plus Diddy will probably end up putting more money back into the school than this scholarship is worth.
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you dont earn scholarships....jus sayin
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

This.

It's not covering his full 4 years there...and why should Diddy give it back? It's a merit based scholarship not financial based...for all that then all these 2nd generation athletes at schools who got scholarships while their former athlete parents still have money need to give their scholarships back too...you think if Peyton Manning has a son and he plays football somebody will say "AHh man Peyton's son should give that scholarship back, he don't need it"...you think anybody said that to Chris Simms or any other rich person's kid who went to school on an athletic scholarship?

He doesn't have to give it back, but it would be the classy thing to do. 54,000 ain't ? to Diddy. The car he bought his son for his B-day probably costed 3 times that much. That scholarship could go to a kid that might not have a way into school outside of financial aid. Diddy wouldn't have to even give it directly back to the school. Find some deserving kid that wants to go to UCLA and put 54,000 towards his/her tuition.

And why do silly people always bring up other people when having a discussion about what someone should or shouldn't do? Regardless of what Peyton or Chris Simms do, that shouldn't matter when discussing what Diddy should do. Do you live your life by your own principles or do you live sitting around waiting to see what others are going to do? That said, I'm pretty sure if Peyton had a son in that position, there would be people saying that he should give it back. Everything isn't a race issue. There are plenty of people who would and do say that no financial aid should be made available to people from families that could easily afford the cost.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    -Vincenzo- wrote: »
    you dont earn scholarships....jus sayin

So what wisdom are you holding back, good sir?
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We'll see how he does on the football field.
  • blackrain
    edited May 2012
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    he shouldn't turn it down or have to give it back

it would be a show of good nature if diddy gave some money to like a charity that helps kids with paying for school

Diddy does that ? all the time...hell he damn near on his own saved the Boys Choir of Harlem...that ? just never gets press...but let Diddy buy a car and it's news
  • emdiggy
    emdiggy Members Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    Options
    He earned it, he should keep it.... Jerry Rice's son played for UCLA as a walk-on which means he wasn't on scholarship.
  • blackrain
    Options

This.

He doesn't have to give it back, but it would be the classy thing to do. 54,000 ain't ? to Diddy. The car he bought his son for his B-day probably costed 3 times that much. That scholarship could go to a kid that might not have a way into school outside of financial aid. Diddy wouldn't have to even give it directly back to the school. Find some deserving kid that wants to go to UCLA and put 54,000 towards his/her tuition.

And why do silly people always bring up other people when having a discussion about what someone should or shouldn't do? Regardless of what Peyton or Chris Simms do, that shouldn't matter when discussing what Diddy should do. Do you live your life by your own principles or do you live sitting around waiting to see what others are going to do? That said, I'm pretty sure if Peyton had a son in that position, there would be people saying that he should give it back. Everything isn't a race issue. There are plenty of people who would and do say that no financial aid should be made available to people from families that could easily afford the cost.

I'm not making it a race issue hence why I didn't mention race...I was talking finances and finances only...the scholarship isn't one for college kids who need the financial help...so you're pretty much saying his son should not accept his athletic scholarship and merit based scholarship because he's rich? If he got the grades to earn the scholarship what his parents make per year should have no bearing on rewarding him for working hard in high school...
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I don't know how UCLA usually does their scholarships, but it will be hilarious if it turns out there are superior players on the team only getting halfs, or quarters.

? gon be mad.
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like someone said before, if he's really that good u want him in scholarship to lock him in to ur team. If not he can leave w/o penalty (I.e. sitting out a year if he transfers or leaves the school). As long as it's not a Lil Romeo type situation I see no issue.
  • blackrain
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »
    I don't know how UCLA usually does their scholarships, but it will be hilarious if it turns out there are superior players on the team only getting halfs, or quarters.

? gon be mad.

Lol same ? that happened to Romeo when he got his USC scholarship..ended up quitting the team after 2 years and avg 1 min per game
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAMITT wrote: »
    white people just mad they dont have the talent to receive a scholarship

fixed. Thats why white people hate on athletes so much. Anyways I can see both sides, it would be the classy/right thing to do giving it back but dude did earn it so I'm not mad at all. Did Austin Rivers give his scholarship back? How about Matt Stafford? I doubt it....
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know basketball scholarships are renewed on a year to year basis b/c u can leave after ur 1st year. Football ismay prolly a lil different b/c ur required to stay for 3 years.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Thats what wrong with America today... Everybody think somebody owes them something.. That lil dude had every reason to just sit on his ass and live off his pops name and fortune.. Instead he took his ass to school and played football and earned a scholarship.. But people want him to give it back?. Please...

Nobody said anything when Lil Romeo was up in USC on a Basketball Scholarship... This isnt even worth speaking about..

Co-sign. If ? like paris hilton and kim kardashian are out here making hella money because of nothing else besides them sitting on their ass and ballin off their parents bread this ? can get a 54k scholarship to UCLA...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

This.

I'm not making it a race issue hence why I didn't mention race...I was talking finances and finances only...the scholarship isn't one for college kids who need the financial help...so you're pretty much saying his son should not accept his athletic scholarship and merit based scholarship because he's rich? If he got the grades to earn the scholarship what his parents make per year should have no bearing on rewarding him for working hard in high school...

You didn't say the word "race," but you did suggest that there would be a different reaction if this was done with the children of two rich white guys. If you intention wasn't to make it a race issue in any way then why even bring up Peyton and Chris Simms? If not for the fact that they are white, what quality is it that they have the makes you think they would be treated differently?

And I'm not saying that the kids should take any action in particular. I'm saying it would be a classy move for Puffy to give the money back to the school or to a kid that needs it. Financial aid is exactly what the name states merit or otherwise. If a person doesn't need the aid, it really should be reserved for someone who does. If Puff chooses not to do that, then fine, that's on him. I'm just saying it would be a good move on his part.

• Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This could go either way son.Diddy could be pulling some strings in that ? .
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he earned it, I see no issue w/ it.