dark knight rises original villian revealed

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
As buzz for "The Dark Knight Rises" continues to build, we are learning that Catwoman and Bane were not necessarily Warner Brothers' first choice to represent the villainous vibes of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy finale.

Instead, the studio had envisioned Leonardo DiCaprio in the role of the Riddler (made famous by Jim Carrey in "Batman Forever" and also by Frank Gorshin and John Astin in the '60s television series).

"Rises" screenwriter David Goyer recently revealed to Empire magazine (print edition, via What Culture) that the studio essentially thrust the idea of DiCaprio as the Riddler upon he and Nolan after the release of 2008's "The Dark Knight"... around the same time Nolan was pitching "Inception" to them, in which DiCaprio starred.

WB's top execs said, according to Goyer: "Obviously it's gonna be The Riddler, and we want it to be Leonardo DiCaprio."

In an interesting twist, the DiCaprio proposal -- while ultimately unsuccessful for unknown reasons -- may have spawned other casting choices. You see, much of the "Inception" cast carries over into "Rises": Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Michael Caine, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt -- who was originally thought to be cast as the Riddler.

Goyer also revealed in his Empire interview that the ending of "Rises" was conceived at the outset of his partnership with Nolan in the film franchise (via Screen Rant):

"The final scene of 'The Dark Knight Rises' is exactly [the] scene we talked about [when Christopher Nolan and I started the trilogy with 'Batman Begins']. It remained completely unchanged. We both knew in our hearts that we were onto something special. I have to tell you, having finally seen everything strung together a little while ago and seeing that scene, I got a complete lump in my throat."

The proverbial lump in the throat -- along with other widespread speculation -- has had film geeks pondering for months whether Batman lives or dies in "Rises." No one, so far, has a definitive answer. (Thank ? ! -- That would be too much of a spoiler in my opinion.)

While this is Nolan's final bow with Batman, the franchise could continue -- as it has for the past 20 plus years. Don't rule DiCaprio out for future Riddler roles.

Read more: http://newwrestlecrap.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=entertainment&action=display&thread=9174#ixzz1xQ5maI1U

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    wonder how that wouldve turned out
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're going to end the series, the best choice is bane
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bane done right is more of an epic antagonist....riddler isnt even taken seriously in the comics
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im glad they went in the opposite direction.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How did people not know riddler was the original villain...could of sworn tons of movie sites said this before they went with bane.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe the real reason y he wasnt cast

Actor Christian Bale's former publicist had to be treated for post-traumatic stress disorder due to actor's explosive anger, a new book has claimed.

According to the sensational biography, the 'Batman' star has distanced himself from family and friends, and hasn't spoken to his mom in more than four years.

The book written by Harrison Cheung, his ex-publicist, also accuses the 38-year-old actor of being so mean that he would reduce little girls who asked for his autograph to tears.

The book also talks about how the Oscar-winner saw Leonardo DiCaprio as his nemesis after the 'Titanic' star kept beating him to roles, and how he rejected becoming James Bond.

Cheung was by Bale's side for a decade.

"Pity the fan who recognized Christian at a restaurant," the Sun quoted Cheung as saying.

"He refused to sign autographs while he was seated. He would lecture little girls about being rude and intrusive until tears streamed down their faces and their parents tugged them away from our table."

Bale, who will be returning as 'Batman' in 'The Dark Knight Rises' next month, had risen to fame when he was just 14-year-old by starring in Steven Spielberg's 'Empire Of The Sun'.

According to the book, 'Christian Bale - The Inside Story Of The Darkest Batman', the actor blamed one person for thwarting his career plans - DiCaprio. It says that the 'Titanic' star seemed to beat him to prized roles each time.

"DiCaprio. The name burned Christian like a branding iron. Over the years, Christian had lost This Boy's Life and What's Eating Gilbert Grape to DiCaprio," Cheung wrote.

"Christian had read for the part of Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet but was told that they had decided to cast an African American in the part instead.

"Christian too had gone up for the part of Jack Dawson in Titanic but was told that James Cameron didn't want two British lead actors playing the two leads who were both supposed to be American," he said.

In 1999 the two went to war again over the lead in 'American ? ,' the adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis's dark novel about Wall Street serial killer and sexual ? Patrick Bateman.

Bale became obsessed with being cast in the movie and began furiously lobbying director Mary Harron for the role, yet DiCaprio showed up for the film and became the favourite.

Second favourite for the role was fellow British actor Ewan McGregor. In desperation Bale called McGregor up and begged him not to take the part.

McGregor passed and eventually Bale was cast. In what was to become his typical behaviour, he showed extraordinary commitment to playing Bateman, sculpting his body at the gym and perfecting his American, yuppie accent 24/7.

He would even call up pals and family and leave chilling messages in the voice of the disturbed character.

"It was really creepy. He would call up and go, 'It'sssssssss Patrick' as soon as you answered the phone in that perfect American accent," one friend told the author,

Not long after 'American ? ', he sat down for a meeting with Barbara Broccoli, the legendary James Bond producer, who was looking for a new Bond to replace Pierce Brosnan when his contract came to an end.

According to Cheung, she hinted that the role was Bale's for the taking but he turned her down, telling her, I've already played a serial killer."

The book, which is just out in America and is released in the UK later this year, says his success grew, his moods darkened even more.

Cheung wrote that in March 2002, Bale's mother Jenny - who had divorced his dad - brought his grandmother over to Los Angeles for her first trip abroad and he would not see them.

Canadian PR man Cheung had to deal with the fallout when he went to Bale's sister Louise's house in the same city.

"I arrived at Louis's house when Jenny was crying on the phone, asking Christian to see them - if not for her sake then for his grandmother's first visit to the US. He refused," Cheung said.

Even marriage to the model Sibi Blazic and the birth of his daughter Emmeline in 2005 did not lift his moods.

According to the book, he would sit at home staring at the four walls all day. The publicist eventually decided to quit.

"It only took me five years of therapy to get past my Bale years," Cheung said.

"My therapist would describe my condition as post traumatic stress disorder," he said.

As it turned out, Cheung had left before Bale's temper reached its fever pitch in the wake of the 2007 role that finally took him into the A-list, as Batman in 'The Dark Knight'.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    would have liked to see Leo as the Riddler. but to work, it would have to be SUPER DARK.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the original villian was the joker had leger lived to continue their story
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope i read i think ign it was supposed to the riddler and the madd hater as johnny depp