Spider-man in the avengers is a real possibility

Options
eyes low
eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Most film fans know that before Marvel Studios began producing their own movies, they sold the rights to several major characters to other studios. For example, 20th Century Fox got the rights to the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Daredevil while Sony got Ghost Rider and the crown jewel, Spider-Man. At the time, it made perfect sense and begat several great movies. Now that Marvel movies are the biggest thing ever, though, the studio regrets letting those characters go because it completely kills an opportunity for more cross overs. Rival corporations would never help out one another, would they?

In the comics, Spider-Man has at times been a major member of The Avengers and though there was talk of Andrew Garfield, the star of the new Amazing Spider-Man, appearing in Joss Whedon’s The Avengers, it was nothing more than a rumor. However, it turns out the studios did agree on one crossover between the films, the timing just didn’t work out. After the jump, read about how the world of the new Amazing Spider-Man almost crossed over with The Avengers.

The fine folks at Latino Review spoke with Amazing Spider-Man producers Avi Arad and Matthew Tolmach who revealed that the Oscorp Building in The Amazing Spider-Man was going to be placed in the Manhattan skyline of The Avengers.

Recently deceased production designer J Michael Riva designed the Oscorp building as well as the buildings in the first two Iron Man films. So, because the buildings shared a similar look, Disney and Sony discussed the possibility of the cross over and, reportedly, agreed on it.

Unfortunately, The Avengers came out two months before The Amazing Spider-Man, so by the time the Oscorp building was ready to go, The Avengers skyline shots were already completed. The window was gone.

Still, the impossible cross studio promotion almost happened. The lines of communication opened. Our fanboy fantasies of Spider-Man in The Avengers 2 might be a little far fetched but if this is possible, who is to say?

My question becomes this: if this had worked out, wouldn’t it have been distracting? Wouldn’t we all have thought, “If Oscorp exists, why isn’t Spider-Man helping out here?” And if Spidey’s origin was post Avengers, wouldn’t Spider-Man’s New York looked awkward without a destroyed Stark building? Maybe it’s for the best this didn’t happen. Do you agree?

slashfilm.com/trivia-the-amazing-spiderman-crossed-slightly-the-avengers/

Comments

• eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gives us some hope that spider-man might be in the sequel
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Since Avengers was announced I always felt Sony would be dumb as ? NOT to do this...Marvel (obviously) would gain nothing from this at this point seeing as how Avengers is already this biggest Comic Book movie of all time (without Spidey) BUT..Marvel fans and Im sure their execs would be thrilled to have him in there just for the sake of having an even bigger foot on the neck of DC in the "race to the moon" as I call it..(i.e. Russia vs the USA in the 60's)...Sony would've benefited even bigger had Spidey or AT LEAST Peter Parker been in the Avengers especially right before Spider-man drops...but if they add him to the sequel I don't see how Sony possibly turns down that offer or even why they would...it's nothing but money in the bank for their solo outing..the only question would be: Does Marvel ask for any of the solo spidey profits and how do they split the Avenger profits (if Spidey is involved)...
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah it'd be nice seeing Spider-man as part of the Avengers...especially if they wanted to replace him with another Avenger
  • young_belvi
    young_belvi Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eyes low wrote:
    “If Oscorp exists, why isn’t Spider-Man helping out here?”

slashfilm.com/trivia-the-amazing-spiderman-crossed-slightly-the-avengers/

I think it could have worked because Oscorp existed long before Mr. Parker became Spider Man.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    If Spiderman becomes a great movie that pleases both comicbook fans and movie goers only can I see these two merging. Otherwise, I just can't agree. Those X-men movies were a ? and far fetched from the comics so this ? all depends on if you got directors that are actual comic book readers and aren't just throwing ? out there like 6'2 wolverine, quick silver being a chick or phoenix being a 50 year old ugly ? that kills all the X-men when her eyes turn black.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should been in the first one... Like a cameo or somethin...
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it still could happen
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whenever i watch superhero movies, i always ask where the ? are all the other mutants/heroes? New York has mad superheroes yet they never seem to cross paths
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is one thing that sucks about the availability of info in this era.

Think about how cool it would be to watch the Avengers 2 and have Spider-man appear out of nowhere to lend a hand or save the day. That happening unexpectedly would be one of the most epic events in recent movie history. The problem is it could never happen. If a deal was made and Spider-man was put in Avengers 2, we'd know about it 6 months before the movie was even released.
  • BK Product
    BK Product Members Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is one thing that sucks about the availability of info in this era.

Think about how cool it would be to watch the Avengers 2 and have Spider-man appear out of nowhere to lend a hand or save the day. That happening unexpectedly would be one of the most epic events in recent movie history. The problem is it could never happen. If a deal was made and Spider-man was put in Avengers 2, we'd know about it 6 months before the movie was even released.

Couldn't agree more!!!