Crytek: "We're already 'way beyond' next-gen consoles. Wii U 'Minimum' as powerful as current gen".

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in IllGaming
Crytek: We're already 'way beyond' next-gen consoles
Next iteration of CryEngine "pushing the boundaries"

By CVG Staff for CVG UK

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has told CVG that the Crysis studio's CryEngine tech is "way beyond next-gen consoles already".

Speaking to us at E3, the exec teased boundary-pushing new features for the next iteration of Crytek's game engine.
"There are two CryEngine teams working in parallel," he said. "One is refreshing the current version and the second team is working on the major version.

"We've been touting CryEngine as a next-gen technology for about two years now. Since 2010 CryEngine has been next-gen ready. You look at today's next-gen offerings with supposedly next-gen graphics... That's exactly what we were talking about two years ago.

"People have by now caught up but we haven't been sitting around - we've been pushing the boundaries as well," he added. "A lot of these features will be visible in the next iteration for the engine.

"We are one of the first studios in the world to get access to all of the next-generation consoles. Obviously we can't talk about what they are but we know what next-gen entails. I think people... I'm not going to judge it because it'll get me in trouble, but next-gen is actually not a clear picture right now."

In a recently published interview, Rasmus Hojengaard, director of creative development at Crytek, told us about some of the CryEngine 3 enhancements Crytek has made since Crysis 2, and how they'll impact the upcoming sequel's visuals and gameplay.

"We have a number of new rendering capabilities that we haven't yet used in a game that we'll certainly want to push, like all kinds of tessellation systems, a new vegetation system which reacts to physics and to winds and stuff like that," he said.

"Another new feature which is a little less render specific but is actually a big deal for CryEngine is that we have quadropedes, so the [Ceph] Scorcher is a quadropede. Even though that doesn't sound like a big deal it's actually really complicated to make work, especially when you need to have all the feet align with the ground at any one point. It's not an easy feature which is why you don't see many four-legged creatures in games. It's very rare, and when it has been done often it feels a little stiff and weird, but it's turning out really well for us."

Cevat Yerli also revealed in the same interview that a "respected developer" is working on a CryEngine 3 title for the Nintendo platform.

"My opinion of the Wii U is very high," he said. "It's just that we didn't have a business case unfortunately that justifies us making a game for it.

"It doesn't mean that CryEngine 3 doesn't run on Wii U - it actually runs beautifully. In fact, there actually is a game in development from a respected developer that we will be announcing. I've seen the game running and it looks really great."

"From my perspective I do not understand the public's concerns that the Wii U is weaker than PS3 and 360," he said. "That I cannot see. From my perspective the Wii U is at minimum as powerful as current consoles."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/352932/crytek-were-already-way-beyond-next-gen-consoles/

Somehow Crysis 3 is being slept on, but the game looks amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDbxCK9xLU

Comments

• KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PS3 came out in 2006 and we're comparing the Wii U to that?

6 years behind the tech curve Ninty
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • focus
    edited June 2012
    Options
    PS3 came out in 2006 and we're comparing the Wii U to that?

6 years behind the tech curve Ninty

LOL @ any console being the "tech curve".

Anyway, the article isn't so much comparing Wii U to 360 and PS3 as it is making the point that maxing out those systems is the starting point for Wii U. It will be less powerful then the next consoles from M$ and PS3, but nothing like the distance between Wii and the other current gen consoles. One, because the Wii U is an actual leap over the current gen power wise, which wasn't really the case with the Wii. A much, much smaller leap anyway. And second, because in terms of "giant leaps" forward, the next consoles from M$ and Sony won't be as big as we've seen in previous gens due to cost and limitations of the human eye. Pretty much every analyst has said that and this Crytek CEO alludes to it as well based on the dev kits they have.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    My $ 0.02: in terms of graphics, how much better can the Wii U really look than PS360 games when TV's are limited to 1080p?
  • focus
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    My $ 0.02: in terms of graphics, how much better can the Wii U really look than PS360 games when TV's are limited to 1080p?

And by extension, how much better can the Next XBOX and PS4 really look, and how much does it really matter? Console owners want to tout their system (or future system) as the apex of graphical prowess, when really, it isn't. It's fine to be wowed by masterfully done console graphics, but if graphics alone are so important to some, why not just get a PC? They clearly think they are better than other gamers because their console is more powerful, but are they good enough to build their own graphical powerhouse instead of just buying a console, flying a banner, and perpetually patting themselves on the back? LOL.

M$ and Sony would be stupid to invest so much in graphics after seeing the sales of the Wii. The Wii U will be "less powerful" in the same way the PS2 was "less powerful" than the Cube and XBOX.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • focus
    Options
    I agree that Crytek games look better than they are actually fun to play. Which is why, again...why so much emphasis on graphics?
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    I agree that Crytek games look better than they are actually fun to play. Which is why, again...why so much emphasis on graphics?

Because there are companies that have given us both. Gameplay as well as top graphics. Nintendo has always had fun good with good gameplay. Now they have a system that can give us that with HD graphics.

Which all comes back to my earlier point which was directed at people who are saying Wii U's graphics are just as good as PS360's and are disappointed as if they expected more. How can it be better when our TV's are limited?

Which also leads me to wonder if the gaming companies also know something we don't? Are TV's looking to get an upgrade within the next year? Are they waiting for higher definition TV's to be announced before bringing out their new systems?

• focus
    edited June 2012
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    focus wrote: »

Because there are companies that have given us both. Gameplay as well as top graphics. Nintendo has always had fun good with good gameplay. Now they have a system that can give us that with HD graphics.

Which all comes back to my earlier point which was directed at people who are saying Wii U's graphics are just as good as PS360's and are disappointed as if they expected more. How can it be better when our TV's are limited?

Which also leads me to wonder if the gaming companies also know something we don't? Are TV's looking to get an upgrade within the next year? Are they waiting for higher definition TV's to be announced before bringing out their new systems?

I agree that having both stunning graphics and fun gameplay is great. But the fact is, gameplay can exist on its own, graphics cannot. So the emphasis should always be on gameplay first.

As for TV definitions, I could be wrong, but I believe there is only one more level up from 1080 that the human eye can even distinguish...and the screen has to be really big. So like, a movie screen. Or something like that.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crytek talking about "every blade of grass will blow with the wind".

Blades of grass don't make a good game ? !
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is he comparing computers to consoles?