Tekken Team To Develop Next Smash Bros.

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in IllGaming
June 21, 2012 9:55 PM

Tekken development team to make next Super Smash Bros.

During Nintendo’s streaming-video series, Nintendo Direct, the Japanese publisher announced that Namco Bandai will be primarily responsible for the development of the next Super Smash Bros. game which it is developing simultaneously for the Wii U and the 3DS. Nintendo’s Masahiro Sakurai, who was the lead producer on the previous Smash Bros. games, will return to take the reins on this production.

“The prototype prepared by Namco Bandai Studios’ special team looks pretty good, and it’s working great,” Sakurai wrote in a statement on Nintendo.com. He stressed that the game is only just now entering development, so fans are going to have to be patient.

Hello, I'm Masahiro Sakurai, the director of the Super Smash Bros. series.

It's my personal belief that the only time a creative product really resonates is in that first moment when it's actually in front of you.

With that said, I've realized that if we keep the new Super Smash Bros. title's development structure secret, it'll only create more and more speculation, and I won't be able to develop the game with any freedom. That's why I've decided to announce this news right now, even though it's still very early on.

Hello, everyone. I'm Masaya Kobayashi of NAMCO BANDAI Studios. I'm so honored to be able to join the Smash Bros. team--that globally popular series of which Japan is particularly proud—and to work alongside of Mr. Sakurai.

In order to make Mr. Sakurai proud, we will take on this project with NAMCO BANDAI's best staff! Yoshito Higuchi, the producer and the director of the "Tales" series, Tetsuya Akatsuka, producer and director of "Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.," the art director/sound director of the "SoulCalibur" series, as well as the main development team staff from the "TEKKEN" series…and that's just for starters. All the top creators from NAMCO BANDAI are gathered here to create a never-before-seen dream team for this project. We will fully utilize our experience and knowledge in action/fighting game development, technical capability, and organizational strength, and we hereby promise you that we will develop the best and most powerful "Super Smash Bros." title ever! Don't miss it!

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/06-21-2012/message

Comments

• KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale will be better.

Tekken Team gonna make Smash Bros too complicated for them little nintendo kids.
  • focus
    Options
    I wonder what this means for Tekken X Street Fighter. Seems like the development on that game has already been mad slow. Luckily Tekken Tag Tournament 2 drops in 2 months.

Anyway, Tekken characters, Soul Calibur characters, Dark Souls characters, Tales characters, Naruto characters, Dragonball Z Characters, Mobile Suit Gundam characters, Pac-Man confirmed for next Smash Bros.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    Tekken x SF will never be released.

They used CAPCOM to get free advertising for Tekken. Capcom took the bait and ended up promoting Namco's characters for free...... and the game flopped hard in sales.

Namco will brush their hands of the situation and move on like nothing happened.
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Was just going to make this thread. smash bros will now actually be relevant.
  • focus
    edited June 2012
    Options
    It'll be interesting to see what the highest selling fighting game franchise of all time will do next.

• imm0rt4l
    edited June 2012
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what the highest selling fighting game franchise of all time will do next.

They're bringing TTT2U to consoles and then making Tekken X SF.
  • focus
    edited June 2012
    Options
    imm0rt4l wrote: »

Oh, yea...overall. Because Tekken has 9 or 10 games to Brawls 3. But pound for pound, Smash sells more and hasn't already peaked like Tekken. And Brawl is the highest selling Fighter of all time.

• blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They used CAPCOM to get free advertising for Tekken. Capcom took the bait and ended up promoting Namco's characters for free...... and the game flopped hard in sales.

Namco will brush their hands of the situation and move on like nothing happened.

Street Fighter X Tekken has sold about 1.4 mill since it was released in March, hardly a flop when you consider UMVC 3 came out in November 2011 and is stuck at like 600k.

But I do agree Tekken X SF is never coming out, even Ono himself said he thinks it's never coming out.

• imm0rt4l
    edited June 2012
    Options

Oh, yea...overall. Because Tekken has 9 or 10 games to Brawls 3. But pound for pound, Smash sells more and hasn't already peaked like Tekken. And Brawl is the highest selling Fighter of all time.

I knew exactly what you were getting at, I just wanted to undermine that stupid statement. ? aint playing smash in the fgc, they're in their own little bubble(granted that may change with namco at the helm). Just calling smash the greatest selling fg FRANCHISE of all time is ? laughable, since it's being a fighting game is up for debate and it being the highest selling franchise is ? .
  • focus
    edited June 2012
    Options

I knew exactly what you were getting at, I just wanted to undermine that stupid statement. ? aint playing smash in the fgc, they're in their own little bubble(granted that may change with namco at the helm). Just calling smash the greatest selling fg FRANCHISE of all time is ? laughable, since it's being a fighting game is up for debate and it being the highest selling franchise is bs too.

*sighs*...why do yall always get so mad? LOL. Its like, the littlest facts just set certain people off.

Its a fighting game. It is what it is. Smash has been played competitively before, and even if it hadn't..who cares? There are a bunch of great, fun, fighting games that were never in tournaments. Tournaments are not the end all be all to fighting games and never have been. That is the only genre of gaming that has this silly mentality from a vocal minority. LOL.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems cool, just wanna kno what characters will be in it
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo is so creative that they need another dev to bring new ideas to their franchise.
  • focus
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Nintendo is so creative that they need another dev to bring new ideas to their franchise.

Nintendo has frequently farmed out their franchises to third parties since the SNES era. Capcom, Namco, SEGA, Square Enix, Team Ninja, etc. This is nothing new.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options

Street Fighter X Tekken has sold about 1.4 mill since it was released in March,

thats a huge flop. its the 2 biggest fighting franchises
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options

To be fair the game was ? so that might be another reason why the game did'nt sell well
  • imm0rt4l
    Options

Yea, it's a huge ? flop. ? deserves to flop though. Don't know how capcom couldn't capitalize off two of the biggest fighting game titans colliding. Capcom is ? wack.
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To be fair the game was ? so that might be another reason why the game did'nt sell well

Street Fighter X Tekken is a good game.

Some of the decisions made around the game was indeed ? , disc locking a big chunk of the roster,buggy ass online play,nickel and diming for costume colors and other stupid little ? , but the game itself is a good game.

It seems like ? just hate on the game cause Capcom IS on that ? with it....But all that ? they doing with SFXTK they been doing this ? since Street Fighter IV, they just took it to the extreme with SFXTK.

• vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ever since street fighter 4 dropped all the other games play similiar to me like MVC 3, UMVC3, Street Fighter X Tekken.....I ? with soul caliber 5 more I need to get back on there
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All that that Sion mentioned. If they put Sonic and a few other characters from the Sonic franchise (Knuckles, Shadow) then this game will own the industry.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    isnt sonic already in smash brothers?
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    isnt sonic already in smash brothers?

yeah in brawl (the gamecube one)
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Harada has already said Tekken X Street Fighter could be a Playstation 4 launch title , they already have the dev kits from Sony

And the Tekken Team ALWAYS has a new Tekken game with every Playstation
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the real news here is we FINALLY gettin a Smash Bros DS
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harada has already said Tekken X Street Fighter could be a Playstation 4 launch title , they already have the dev kits from Sony

I really wouldnt doubt that its a PS4 launch title, they didnt even start on the game

lol they prolly wanna wait until SF X Tekken is forgotten about until they start pushing it lol
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options