Nintendo Reveals 3DS XL

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in IllGaming

New 3DS Model has larger screens, longer battery life.

During its Nintendo Direct broadcast tonight, Nintendo revealed a new version of the 3DS featuring larger screens.

603179485.jpg

The system will be called 3DS XL in the West and will retail for $199.99. It will be released on August 19th in America, the same day as New Super Mario Bros. 2. It's due to hit European shelves slightly earlier on July 28th, the same day as Japan, though a price has yet to be confirmed. It's being reported that Nintendo will allow UK retailers to decide how much to sell it for, much like the company did with the original 3DS.

The system's top screen is now 4.88 inches, while the lower screen is now 4.18 inches. Both screens will be 90% larger than on the original 3DS. The actual resolution on the screens is the same as the original 3DS.

603181183.jpg

The new 3DS will have longer battery life than the original model of the 3DS. Nintendo notes that 3DS XL will have a battery life between 3.5 and 6.5 hours while playing 3DS games (compared to 3-5 hours for 3DS) and between 6 and 10 hours while playing DS games (compared to 5-8 hours for 3DS). The 3DS XL's battery will take approximately three hours and 30 minutes to charge.

While reports earlier tonight indicated that the Japanese and European versions of the system will not include an AC adapter, Nintendo of America has confirmed that the North American version of the 3DS XL will include an AC adapter in the package. A 4GB SD card will also be included with the system.

The system will be released in red and blue. Europe will also receive a silver option.

Comments

• blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Want, but I'm pretty sure my Circle Pad Pro ain't going to fit on that big ass ? .

That ? look like a damn Chromebook sitting next to the regular 3DS.

• KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pretty cool... it looks like a mini laptop now.

• Meela Dymme
    Meela Dymme Members Posts: 168
    Options
    All this does is take the "new" appeal the Vita has as the new handheld on the block. So Vita has nothing to flash about since Nintendo will have the latest new hanheld out...Other than that people will get this for the bigger screen over the ps vita's
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Options
    lol just last week Miyamoto said that they weren't looking into revisions, but the successor to the 3ds.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    Options
    lol, why I didn't buy a 3DS.

Wont be buying this one either.

Maybe the third version if there is a game I really want.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    imm0rt4l wrote: »
    lol just last week Miyamoto said that they weren't looking into revisions, but the successor to the 3ds.

And he was telling the truth. They weren't "looking into" or developing a 3DS revision. It was already done.

Anyway, its not like this is anything new? The DS had a XL version that performed very well.
  • imm0rt4l
    Options
    focus wrote: »

And he was telling the truth. They weren't "looking into" or developing a 3DS revision. It was already done.

Anyway, its not like this is anything new? The DS had a XL version that performed very well.

No he wasn't, ? was a blatant lie. No need to come to his defense, theres nothing inherintly wrong with making a revision so no need to take offense for a Nintendo executive. Of course he's not going to say that there is a revisions coming, it's his job to sell the 3ds as is until a formal announcement is made.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...eld-generation

"I really feel like I'm satisfied with the 3DS hardware as it is. I feel like it's the best for this generation," Miyamoto told me, when I asked about the Nikkei's recent report about a 3DS XL, and whether his company did have plans for something similar. The Nintendo executive noted that his company is always thinking about what's next. "What we're thinking about right now is probably going to be for a future generation of handheld."

He's misdirecting, he's an executive, it's what they do in these situations.
  • focus
    Options

• grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    should of added the second analog stick. FOH with a circle pad pro xl.
  • imm0rt4l
    edited June 2012
    Options

Stop dwelling on "looking into". They were asked if the rumors of a 3ds revisions were true, he said what we're thinking about right now is a future generation handheld. He's misdirecting like a ? , I don't know why you're getting defensive on his behalf. There isn't even anything wrong with what he did.

It's his job to argue semantics, not yours.
  • focus
    edited June 2012
    Options

Stop dwelling on "looking into". They were asked if the rumors of a 3ds revisions were true, he said what we're thinking about right now is a future generation handheld. He's misdirecting like a ? , I don't know why you're getting defensive on his behalf. There isn't even anything wrong with what he did.

It's his job to argue semantics, not yours.

LOL. I'm really not trying to get defensive. You posted a comment. I responded with what I thought was an interesting perspective. This is a forum. That's how this works bruh. I'm "dwelling" on the "looking into"/"developing a revision" part because that is what he was asked. Sure he could've mentioned the XL, but the fact of the matter is he answered the question at hand truthfully and ITS FINE. It will all be okay. I promise yall. LOL. There is no reason to get mad or address me personally unless I've personally upset you, which nothing I've said should've done, but I guess somehow did based on your reaction. Even though you yourself said you would've expected an executive to do what I said he did? LOL. Again, is it just because Focus/Obama said it? Get out them feelings!! LOL.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited June 2012
    Options
    these ? just straight sell u the same hand held multiple time
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    these ? just straight sell u the same handle multiple time
    Exactly,they are a hack ass company ripping people off.Still no second analog.Only thing that might make me buy one is that devil summoner game.Opefully Atlus brins it to the superior Vita so I dont have to.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Gameboy advance || Gameboy advance SP (front lit) || Gameboy advance SP (back lit) || Gameboy advance micro

Nintendo DS || Gameboy DS lite || Gameboy DSi || Gameboy DSi XL

Nintendo 3DS || Nintendo 3DS XL || ???????

PSP 1000 || PSP 2000 (slim) || PSP 3000 || PSP go

Vita || ??????
  • blackkevblazini
    Options

And they do the ? cause people keep buying it over.

• blackkevblazini
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Exactly,they are a hack ass company ripping people off.Still no second analog.Only thing that might make me buy one is that devil summoner game.Opefully Atlus brins it to the superior Vita so I dont have to.

Sony's been doing the same ? since the PSone.

There's 2 Versions of the Playstation, 3 Versions of the PS2, 1000 different configurations of the PS3 and 4 versions of the PSP. Are they ripping people off too?

• focus
    Options
    Just realized this releases the same day as New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Brian Age 3. Its bout to be a wrap.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    glowy wrote: »
    Gameboy advance || Gameboy advance SP (front lit) || Gameboy advance SP (back lit) || Gameboy advance micro

Nintendo DS || Gameboy DS lite || Gameboy DSi || Gameboy DSi XL

Nintendo 3DS || Nintendo 3DS XL || ???????

PSP 1000 || PSP 2000 (slim) || PSP 3000 || PSP go

Vita || ??????

Sony's been doing the same ? since the PSone.

There's 2 Versions of the Playstation, 3 Versions of the PS2, 1000 different configurations of the PS3 and 4 versions of the PSP. Are they ripping people off too?

MS does the same thing with Xbox.

360 has original RROD model, Falcon RROD model, E74 model, Slim working model.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Everybody's been doing the same ? since the SNES (Maybe even before that).

Fixed.

There were at least 2 SNES, 3 Genesis', and multiple new colorways for about every system if you wanna count that as a "different version". This ? isn't new for anybody.
  • focus
    edited June 2012
    Options
    So then we can all agree that every video game company redesigns and releases the same hardware over and over since...what? At least the last 15...20 years? Ok. Groundbreaking info.

This is why you just ignore Mad Jack. LOL
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gotdamn I was gonna buy the a 3DS but ? I might cop this one
  • imm0rt4l
    edited June 2012
    Options

Planned obsolescence.

people stay buying the stuff so it's understandable.
  • blackkevblazini
    Options

Everybody's been doing the same ? since the SNES (Maybe even before that).

Fixed.

There were at least 2 SNES, 3 Genesis', and multiple new colorways for about every system if you wanna count that as a "different version". This ? isn't new for anybody.

Man they been doing that ? since the Atari 2600 really.

• infamous118
    infamous118 Members Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? fat as ?