Nigerians do big thangs mayne......22-Year-Old Nigerian Student Breaks GPA Record at Johns Hopkins

Options
2nd chances
2nd chances Members Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
i've always been impressed with nigerians..went to school with quite a lot of them and they always seemed fiercely competitive in the academic realm...

========

22 year-old Emmanuel Ohuabunwa has emerged as the best graduating student in the John Hopkins University, USA with a grade point of 3.98 out of 4.0 in Neurosciences.

Ohuabunwa who hails from Abia State, has been able to make the nation proud and with his efforts has won himself a scholarship to Yale University to get a degree in Medicine.

He has also become a member of Phi Beta Kappa Society, a prestigious honor group that features membership of 17 US Presidents, 37 US Supreme Court Justices, and 136 Nobel Prize winners.

The Phi Beta Kappa Society is an academic honour society. Its mission is to “celebrate and advocate excellence in the liberal arts and sciences” and induct “the most outstanding students of arts and sciences at America’s leading colleges and universities.”

Speaking about how he moved to the US, Ohuabunwa said “my parents moved the whole family when I was 13 years old. I was about to begin SS1 at Air Force, Ibadan. When I got to the US, I was enrolled with my age mates, which meant at 13, I was in middle school.

“I went to Fondren Middle School, which was in the middle of the ghetto. That was one of the darkest years for me because I encountered a lot of peer pressure. Some of the students, ignorant about Africa, bullied me and called me names such as ‘African ? scratcher’ because to them, Africans were ? and scratched their butts all the time.

“Some asked me if I lived in mud huts and ate faeces for breakfast.

“I remember one day, when I was walking to the school bus, a boy came from behind and punched me in the face, called me an African and walked away. It took everything in me not to retaliate. I knew that ? had put me in the U.S for a purpose and it did not involve fighting or selling drugs or doing the wrong things.

“My experience during that year gave me a thick skin. I learned to stand for what I thought was right even when the opposition seemed insurmountable. I also learned to look at the positive in all situations. Even though these kids were bullying me, I was still gaining an opportunity to school in America and nothing would stop me from making the best of this opportunity.

“I knew I wanted to go to the best school in the US. I had heard that Johns Hopkins Hospital had been ranked the number one hospital in the US for the past 21 years and I wanted to be in that environment.’’

Worried that his parents might not be able to sponsor him to the university, Ohuabunwa purposed to work very hard. He did and when the result of the PSAT came, he performed so well that he won the National Achievement Scholar.

By virtue of this award, he received certificates of recognition from various organisations including senators from the Congress of both Texas and the US. He also received scholarship from the University of Houston; Rice University, Texas A&M Honors College and many more.

He had also won the Principal’s Award during the annual awards ceremony at DeBakey High School.

“I studied Neuroscience, because I was fascinated with the brain, its control of our behaviours and how various diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, lead to a decline in its activity. I also minored in Psychology because I wanted to understand disorders in the psyche. What causes bipolar disorders or schizophrenia.

I did not just want to label them as crazy but to understand what causes these conditions and how we can treat them,’’ he explained.

But what does he consider to be the missing links in the education sector of Nigeria when compared with that on offer in US, Ohuabunwa said unpredictable academic calendar, corruption, examination malpractice and inadequate funding were some of the problems confronting his home country’s university sector. These, he said, were absent in the US.

Comments

• FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You want me to believe that in over a century no one has had a 4.0 at hopkins?

C'mon, my ? .
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, we like Asians...I'm a disappointment though, I ain't een gon lie...
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    EDIT: Good for him.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    lmao, haven't heard this in a while.

Not since I was in 1st grade.
    "African ? scratcher"
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “I went to Fondren Middle School, which was in the middle of the ghetto. That was one of the darkest years for me because I encountered a lot of peer pressure. Some of the students, ignorant about Africa, bullied me and called me names such as ‘African ? scratcher’ because to them, Africans were ? and scratched their butts all the time.

LMFAO
  • 2nd chances
    Options
    maybe they're saying he broke the record based onthe major that he took..neuroscience

lol..i doubt no one htere has had a 4.0 while studying communications..lol
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3.8 in nuerosciences @ John Hopkins?
    That's ? amazing

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thats all good, but I havent once been asked about my GPA by an employer. Hopefully dude will get some type of scholarship/something for this.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ 2nd chance... If someone majors in communication they better have a 4.0
  • glowy
    Options
    Lol @ 2nd chance... If someone majors in communication they better have a 4.0

A lot of comm classes are easy, but some of them can be a ? depending on what professor you have. Those prof know comm has the reputation of being an easy major, so some of them go extra hard.

Overall, my comm curriculum was more challenging (to me) than my MIS curriculum, aside from a couple programming classes.

• Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But usually comm classes are easier than most.
  • BabyBugatti
    BabyBugatti Members Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh at people hating and saying one class is easier than the other.Ya don´t know ? about multiple intelligence.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh at people hating and saying one class is easier than the other.Ya don´t know ? about multiple intelligence.

Shots fired

• 2nd chances
    Options
    i dont care what you say anyone who can get 3.5 in neuroscience can get 3.5 in comm

but someone who can get 4.0 in comm cant necessarilybe assumed to get a high gpa in neuro..just fact

• glowy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    But usually comm classes are easier than most.

I know the 1000-2000 courses are pretty simple because they are generally lecture courses where you simply have to read the book, take notes, and the ace the multiple choice essay.

The upper division courses had smaller classes though, and I've had plenty of them where over half the class dropped before the end of the semester. These classes usually have you doing analysis, critical thinking, and problem solving based on what ever concepts you are currently studying.

The test are usually short answer/ true false, and some multiple choice.

You usually have to present your findings in a paper, and it's all packaged in a nice 10min presentation(on avg) at the end of the semester

^ yeah, I would rather be asked to complete X task in microsoft server 2003, or what course of action would I take if two computers have matching IPs than do that ? .

Edit: Then again, if you constantly drop classes, I suppose you can eventually get all east professors, I never dropped a class though.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont care what you say anyone who can get 3.5 in neuroscience can get 3.5 in comm

but someone who can get 4.0 in comm cant necessarilybe assumed to get a high gpa in neuro..just fact

You are wrong.
  • blackdemo
    blackdemo Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Me being Congolese i was goin thru the same thing for awhile only when i was like 12 years old-14 african american kids (even tho im born in NYC) didnt like me becuase of my last name. they said africa wasnt ? , the people are ugly, ? , black, we all have aids, all types of ? . it'd be like "where u from?" me: "Queens, why?" n they reply "man u from africa, n if u aint then u might as well be with a last name like that" I mean i remember i was cool with alot of girls until i told them im african and they started treatin me different, for awhile i thought african americans were dumb as hell but then i realized i dont blame them with all the TV n ? they put on TV to make us hate ourselves.

But fastfoward, ? of african descent are gettin it education wise (70% of black people who go to university are of African or carribean descent). Entertainment wise, sports wise, buisness wise. Almost all africans that are 2nd generation are successful, same with carribeans.
    ? on our ? cause we flexin, n Barack Obama is african hence the name Barack Obama. So its all gravy, by the way all my homies in the USA is african americans so i aint hatin, i just hated bein bullied for that lil while, but as i got older it was all good, n ? smartened up n stopped being ignorant.

Some of my ? who african was bringin bats to schools bustin ? heads open, bringin guns n ? . Thats why even in miami haitians used to not ? with african americans because they were hated all up until haitian ? started buckin ? , n they came out with the gang Top 6 n ZOE poung, its crazy.
  • glowy
    Options

Before I say this, I 'll say that I agree, neuroscience far far far more challenging than any ? in communications.

But if you're bad at public speaking, you will probably have to ace all your test to maintain a 3.5 major gpa, as that's usually a large part of your grade, but I guess it depends on what kind of department your school has.

but yeh, if they can handle a lot of public speaking, than a 3.5 would be easy as ? .

But they are trying to work some math into the major to weed a lot of people out, lol. Too many peeps declaring.

They came close with organizational comm, ? was dropping that ? left and right.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options
    I only knew 1 sexy African.
    *shrug*
  • blackdemo
    blackdemo Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I only knew 1 sexy African.
    *shrug*
    U havent seen me then yet, cuz i stay baggin black jawns when i go down south, peep the avi ;)
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

dead at this dude struggling maintain a 2.0 in communications

"how do u do that?" ass ?
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options
    You look very...uh...Americanized :- ?