Health Care Mandate upheld by Supreme Court

Options
deadeye
deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/28/12457822-supreme-court-upholds-health-care-law?lite

In a dramatic victory for President Barack Obama, the Supreme Court upheld the 2010 health care law Thursday, preserving Obama’s landmark legislative achievement.

The majority opinion was written by Chief Justice John Roberts, who held that the law was a valid exercise of Congress’s power to tax.

The decision came as a sharp rebuff and disappointment to congressional Republicans, many of whom had expected the court to strike down at least some parts of the law.

Passage of the law in 2010 had come at a high political cost, with 14 House Democrats in competitive districts losing their seats in the 2010 elections in part due to their votes for the bill and six Democratic Senate candidates who’d voted for the bill also lost their elections in 2010.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think it might backfire on the President because this is only going to rally the tea party and people sitting on the fence.

Basically, if they don't want "Obamacare," the only way to get rid of it is to repeal it...and that can only happen if the Republicans can get a significant majority in the House and Senate.

This is probably going to be the main theme of Romney's campaign now.

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am tripping cause John Roberts wrote the majority opinion.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ole Rush,Sean and Glenn gon to lose their minds!!!

hahaha

• deadeye
    Options
    Gotta give Obama credit for nominating judges who he felt would see things his way, but I think this will ultimately cost him the election.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ironically this "Obamacare"is heavily based on mitt Romney's health care he passed in Massachusetts as governor he wanted a individual mandate as well.Now Mitt running for the presidency saying he will repeal something he passed on the state level but doesn't want on a national level.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • deadeye
    Options
    ? this is gonna cost the country a fortune...

how about they just make medicine affordable liek they do everywhere else?

? a status quo, you can still charge an arm and a leg for the surgeries and all that, but the meds?!?!
    come on...

unless that ? made out of bald eagle talons and the eye of a do-do bird then i see no reason for meds to be that damn expensive...

I thought your ? was covered by the government since you're a vet.

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    I am tripping cause John Roberts wrote the majority opinion.
    The funny thing is Obama as a senator voted against john Roberts being elected into the supreme court the man you voted against saved your biggest piece of legislature isn't that ironic.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • deadeye
    edited June 2012
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

? a status quo, you can still charge an arm and a leg for the surgeries and all that, but the meds?!?!
    come on...

unless that ? made out of bald eagle talons and the eye of a do-do bird then i see no reason for meds to be that damn expensive...

I thought your ? was covered by the government since you're a vet.

so that means im not permitted to give a damn?
    come on dawg...
    plus my kids aint vets...

Good point.

I just thought you were upset because your own meds were too high.

• The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good job supreme court.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • a.mann
    Options
    Gotta give Obama credit for nominating judges who he felt would see things his way, but I think this will ultimately cost him the election.

there was just as high a chance of them ruling against it

and if they had OH LEWD HAVE MERCY

the Conservative/Right Wing and others that relentlessly oppose Obama on all issues
    will be calling for his IMMEDIATELY impeach

I put that on my unborn
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only facto in this was the mandate. And seeing that there was not penalty if you don't adhere to it there was no reason to strike it down. Forcing people to own car insurance if they have a car over reach more than this. Though I think anyone who owns a car should have insurance.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    STEPHANOPOULOS: I wanted to check for myself. But your critics say it is a tax increase.

OBAMA: My critics say everything is a tax increase. My critics say that I’m taking over every sector of the economy. You know that. Look, we can have a legitimate debate about whether or not we’re going to have an individual mandate or not, but…

STEPHANOPOULOS: But you reject that it’s a tax increase?

OBAMA: I absolutely reject that notion.

Supreme Court: 'Congress had the power to impose the exaction in Section 5000A under the taxing power, and that Section 5000A need not be read to do more than impose a tax. This is sufficient to sustain it. '
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad this was upheld its really going to help people. Obama with a early victory on his re election bid. No doubt I think he gets reelected now. Still some ways to go though.
  • Matt-
    Options
    From DNC Executive Director @patrickgaspard:

'it's constitutional. ? .'
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    kinda happy but on the other hand i'm worried. this is really going to set a fire under republican voters. than you have to consider the voter suppression laws that are now sweeping the nation. smh. romney may win this thing...

come on...

i dunno about it raising costs down the road. the data i've read says differently....and redistributing the costs across a larger base will gradually lower them, no? ....

also the cost of premiums is largely determined by the cost of services. under obamacare there will be less emergency visits (which are extremely expensive) and earlier preventative care which will help to pay for the subsidies and also help to lower cost...

than you can't blame obamacare for the increase in health care premiums today, simply because many of the most significant provisions of the law such as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) will not take effect until 2014. lol...

i like to think about it this way, if you are young and/or healthy you're subsidizing your costs for when you get older and sicker. it's a community thing. absent obamacare, your health insurance once you get older will cost you considerably more and the insurance companies might not even take you if you come down with something in the meanwhile... not perfect, but its a start...

• Matt-
    Options
    the thing this will effect the most is wait times for doctor visits, clinics, or to have procedures done. The overall cost will be huge, but it will be so spread out that it won't be of huge impact on the individuals. The real difference will be seen when we try to use the coverage we already have.
  • a.mann
    Options
    Glad this was upheld its really going to help people. Obama with a early victory on his re election bid. No doubt I think he gets reelected now. Still some ways to go though.

A LOOOOONG WAYS TO GO

they are going to ratchet up the fear, hate and anti-America rhetoric & propaganda by power of 1000
  • Matt-
    Options
    You got a medical EBT card. Your welcome
  • desertrain10
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    What does this mean for people of color that are uninsured--undocumented Latino immigrants, poor black folk, etc. ?

hospitals still can't deny you emergency room services...

and there's still medicaid, and those who will be required to get insurance who can't afford it will be given subsidies by the government

wish there was a public option, but obamacare is a start
  • deadeye
    Options
    What does this mean for people of color that are uninsured--undocumented Latino immigrants, poor black folk, etc. ?

That's one of the biggest problems.

They represent a significant percentage of the population, but because they're here illegally they can't be forced to participate in the new healthcare law since they don't even pay taxes.

• bootsy_jenkins
    bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Champagne bottles are popping in the corporate offices of health insurance companies all over America.
  • desertrain10
    edited June 2012
    Options

That's one of the biggest problems.

They represent a significant percentage of the population, but because they're here illegally they can't be forced to participate in the new healthcare law since they don't even pay taxes.

many illegals do pay taxes...sale taxes, property taxes, etc. and they can actually apply w/ the IRS so they could pay federal taxes and whatnot so they could get a tax refund like everyone else, which many do...and there is a provision that requires some illegal immigrants to have health insurance, if i'm not mistaken

and i should point out that all of us already pay the costs of health care for illegal immigrants and the uninsured — through emergency room visits, emergency medicaid, hidden fees by hospitals, workplace safety incidents, and the like. the idea that we all aren’t paying for this one way or another is ignorant and disingenuous...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options