Football heads............

Options
blakfyahking
blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
What abilities/attributes make a GOAT wide receiver?

If your son is about to play football at this position, what would you tell him he needs to focus on improving to be the best?

Also, is it easier to play the slot or at wide-out in general? Me and my lil bro having this debate cause he swears natural height and/or speed will always compensate for not having great hands or being able to run routes well............

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Route running, and just make sure he has GREAT hands, and also he should want the ball no matter what even if he isnt open.
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    Route running, and just make sure he has GREAT hands, and also he should want the ball no matter what even if he isnt open.

you think it's easier to play at wide-out or from the slot?

I say it doesn't matter if you aren't the #1 receiver on ya team...............and you should be able to switch if necessary

my bro says ? playing at the slot cause it's for ? receivers who can't run fast and/or aren't as tall.............
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To be a slot you have to be tall or really fast.

A tall slot WR can control the seems of the D. Or a fast slot can destroyed a defense with crossing routes.
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    To be a slot you have to be tall or really fast.

A tall slot WR can control the seems of the D. Or a fast slot can destroyed a defense with crossing routes.

really?

my bro's argument is that usually a slot receiver is a shorter/slower guy who is just used to give space for the better receivers

of course he hates tho Wes Welker LOL
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    skooby2315 wrote: »

you think it's easier to play at wide-out or from the slot?

I say it doesn't matter if you aren't the #1 receiver on ya team...............and you should be able to switch if necessary

my bro says ? playing at the slot cause it's for ? receivers who can't run fast and/or aren't as tall.............

just depends on the formation, and the type of plays the offense runs.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hands.. hand and route running.. u either got speed and size or u don't but u can do lil things to get faster or@ least seem faster.. but if he learns to run good routes and become a natural pass catcher, ull never have to worry about him revolting back to bad habits
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i'd put route running ahead of having great hands. dont matter how good you can catch, if you cant get open.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dbrazil412 wrote: »
    i'd put route running ahead of having great hands. dont matter how good you can catch, if you cant get open.

True but hand eye coordination is very important as well. You need both to be great at the WR position.

• texasdaking88
    Options
    Don't matter how good u run routes if u just gone drop the ball when it comes ur way..
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    Don't matter how good u run routes if u just gone drop the ball when it comes ur way..

I disagree

running a good route will be more likely to get you more open which could translate into an easier catch where having great hands won't be necessary

I hate seeing short ass receivers or mofos poor at route running

but I give respect to those who learn how to overcompensate for their flaws

• texasdaking88
    Options
    I would agree but I've watched the receivers I been working out wit this last year and see them ? run perfect routes, then the ball comes their way and they drop it like it has aids..
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1st and foremost...

Route running.

Poor RR can negate size, speed, etc. Good RR can trump size and speed.

There's a reason every Olympic Sprinter ain't a all pro WR.

And RR is a sweet science.

It's like tellin a youngin "oh u wanna be a computer genius? Start with being good at math. And I ain't talkin bout 2+2."

Learning how to catch the ball with your hands and not your body is step 2...
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    1st and foremost...

Route running.

It's like tellin a youngin "oh u wanna be a computer genius? Start with being good at math. And I ain't talkin bout 2+2."

this is a powerful post...........

a ? tried to tell me a kid at least 6'3 with 4.4 speed is guaranteed to do well regardless as long as his hands are at least average

but many of the best cornerbacks are shorter and are effective at shutting a "physical specimen" talent down easily
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they gotta be able to run block. that's how alot of receivers get weeded out, also how you can separate yourself from others
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    1st and foremost...

Route running.

Spot on.

And agility > speed.

Add in not being afraid to take the hit.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Defenses and offenses are becoming too complex for a player to rely on speed and size alone.

The biggest mistake ? make when playin DB/WR or judging it - is thinking its just a foot race between the WR and the DB.

No WR in the history of football has ever scored without the ball in his hands. You'd be surprised how many DBs in D-1 CFB and the NFL don't realize this.

Btw, Everything I posted in this thread is what I learned watching film with a former all-pro/all american with 2 college rings and 1 super bowl ring.

• blakfyahking
    edited July 2012
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    they gotta be able to run block. that's how alot of receivers get weeded out, also how you can separate yourself from others

good ? .............but how many of the all time greats at WR are good at that tho?

maybe TEs?
  • northside7
    Options
    Defenses and offenses are becoming too complex for a player to rely on speed and size alone.

The biggest mistake ? make when playin DB/WR or judging it - is thinking its just a foot race between the WR and the DB.

No WR in the history of football has ever scored without the ball in his hands. You'd be surprised how many DBs in D-1 CFB and the NFL don't realize this.

Btw, Everything I posted in this thread is what I learned watching film with a former all-pro/all american with 2 college rings and 1 super bowl ring.

Who's dat?
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

good ? .............but how many of the all time greats at WR are good at that tho?

maybe TEs?

but how many receivers in the league are good at it? probably alot. there arent many all time greats and chances are, you aren't dealing with one. I'm just saying that its a necessary skill that often gets overlooked. you dont want to rely on just receiving skills then get to a level where you are asked to block and you can't do it
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    My high school football coach Tony Peters.
    He was a all American American @ OU in the 70s, and made the pro bowl with the skins in the 80s.

Film sessions every Tuesday with the defense. We would watch pro film and our own film.

No Sandusky.
  • northside7
    Options
    My high school football coach Tony Peters.
    He was a all American American @ OU in the 70s, and made the pro bowl with the skins in the 80s.

Film sessions every Tuesday with the defense. We would watch pro film and our own film.

No Sandusky.

You were a WR?
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    DB. So was he.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Run blocking for a WR is underrated.

It's more finesse than blocking as a olinemen or TE tho.

Alotta dumb DBs will "block themselves" by paying more attention to the WR than the ball.
  • blakfyahking
    Options

Alotta dumb DBs will "block themselves" by paying more attention to the WR than the ball.

true @ the bolded

which is why I question how valuable it is to be a good run blocker if you are a WR worth his salt
  • greenwood1921
    Options

true @ the bolded

which is why I question how valuable it is to be a good run blocker if you are a WR worth his salt

It's kinda like setting a pick in basketball.

You already have the upper hand because the defender is so focused on staying with his "man", but if you get too aggressive or pick the wrong angle, you can ? it up.

It ain't just about pancaking a ? like a OT or Guard. In fact, I've heard most offensive coaches tell receivers to "chip block" the first defender they encounter and then move up to the next level and maybe then go for the pancake.

You can waste a good block if you try to pancake a defender on the first level. (for a WR).

We got a former D-1 lineman that posts here so maybe he can chime in on that.

Big Norm, get yo horse-eatin' ass in here. (lol)