NFL Sleeper Teams By Division.

Options
kuskklassic
kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
AFC South
Tennessee Titans : With Houston being the favorite to win the division, the Titans are being overlooked. Jaguars & Colts wont be a threat this year. Titans will have a more motivated Chris Johnson this year, as well as a full healthy season of Kenny Britt, and QB tandem Matt Hasselbeck & Jake Locker will shock the NFL this year.

AFC North
Cinncinati Bengals: Playoff team last year but nobody expect them to be better than Steelers or Ravens, i beg to differ. Steelers & Ravens are both aging on defense while Bengals offense is a threat with Dalton to Green combination. In what i think is the AFC's toughest division, Bengals might shock people by possibly winning the division.

AFC East
New York Jets: Tom Brady & the Pats are fresh from a Super Bowl appearance but if the Jets can get Mark Sanchez to be more confident and get Tim Tebow to be exposive, i think they might have a shot. Darrel Revis still the best CB in the league and i think Jets defense will step up this year.

AFC West:
Denver Broncos: that talented eceiving core with peyton Mannings skills is dangerous. and a young defense by be enough to stop the only competition in the division, the Chargers.

NFC South
Carolina Panthers: Saints will probably win this won but who is the second best team in the NFC South ?? i think the legit answer is Falcons but can we overlook Panthers? Cam Newton proved he is a star QB in his rookie year, Steve Smith had a comeback year, and with some added weapons can the Panthers become a Wild Card Playoff holder?

NFC North
Chicago Bears: Vikings wont be a threat, Lions wont have the year they had last year, Packers still dominate the division but the Bears have improved and should be impressive this year on both sides of the ball. they could have a 11 win season. Wild Card lock!

NFC East
Nobody: The defending champs will be great next year but i also think the Eagles get it together and Vick has one of his best years. They will go neck and neck all year with the Cowboys right there in the mix also. the Redskins will be the only team no contending of the playoffs in that division, even with RG3. Too early. So nobody is the sleeper here, like every year this division is a Three Way Dance between New York, Dallas, & Philly.

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals: this divison has great indiviual players but it absolutely sucks. 49ers will win it again off, of defend alone and an improve receiving core. Cardinals get the nod just because they will be able to score touchdowns, something Rams and Seahawks will struggle with.

Comments

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are the Jets and Broncos sleeper teams?
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I think somebody doesn't know what a "sleeper" team is.

I just love how everybody is handing the panthers a division title just 'cause they had a rookie that had a good rookie year. Last time I checked, the Falcons had one of those too.

CS logic is just magical.

Team goes 23-11 in last two years, with the 2nd best QB in the division (who has only gotten better every year of his young career and had his best year in 2011) = Probably won't make playoffs, fade to bolivian. lol

Team goes 8-24 the last two years, with a QB that had a good rookie year (but was still statistically only the 3rd best QB in the division) = Got next. Dominating. Nobody but the saints should even bother suiting up against them this year. It's over. Just start the playoffs in September.

Got it.

• texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, team goes 23-11 but cant even sniff a win n the play offs..not even competitive.. ? matt ryan.. most overrated qb in the league
  • texasdaking88
    Options
    Yea, team goes 23-11 but cant even sniff a win n the play offs..not even competitive.. ? matt ryan.. most overrated qb in the league
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Explain how Matt Ryan is "overrated". I'll wait. Especially when he's nobody's top 5. Didn't even make top 100 on that NFL network list.

I'll wait...
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt ryan aint overrated. he does need to win though i mean lets be honest dude's only been in the league for what like 4-5 years or somethin? its mainly because of him, that they are expected to win some playoff games, but i think his time will come soon enough
  • texasdaking88
    Options
    That's to the players.. u must don't watch ESPN cuz everytime I see something about Matt Ryan, they gushing over him.. remember when they were calling him the next peyton Manning???..Cuz I do.. now that I think about it, he is kinda like peyton.. can't do ? in the playoffs like Manning was for years..plus him and flacco got drafted the same year but uve never heard them ? of Ryan like they ? on flacco even tho flacco has won more games and actually won playoff games
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2012
    Options
    dbrazil412 wrote: »
    matt ryan aint overrated. he does need to win though i mean lets be honest dude's only been in the league for what like 4-5 years or somethin? its mainly because of him, that they are expected to win some playoff games, but i think his time will come soon enough

Exactly.

The Matt Ryan hate can't be explained. That's why I said before that he must be ghetto-gaggin' ? 's mommas on the low or something.

Dude is a good QB. Period. NEVER heard anybody on here or the media refer to him as anything more.

Then ? get mad at his "nick name". A nick name. *IVERSON VOICE* we ain't talmbout football, not a certain play -- we talmbout a nickname.

A nickname he got in college and he backed it up in the NFL by having the most game winning drives of any QB in the league since his rookie year.

I never been a big fan of his, but he's already proved me wrong by becoming a pro-bowl, winning, QB.

Unlike these stans on here, I'll break down all of this dudes strengths and weaknesses...

MAIN WEAKNESSES

- Pocket presence. Our O-line wasn't exactly fantastic last year, but he's gotta improve his footwork in the pocket PRE-PASS. (real football heads know what I mean by "pre-pass".)

- Deep ball accuracy. The knock on his arm-strength is overblown. He's just not great at accuracy beyond 20 yards.

- Check downs. Yep, that's right -- CHECK DOWN. He doesn't do it enough. You dumb ? that just regurgitate what other ? say like ? in a beauty salon try to call him "mr check down" , and all you're really doing is showing how little you know about football.

We threw the ball to our running backs less than damn near any other team in football. In fact, the biggest reason for hiring our new OC is because he can get the RB's more involved in the passing game.

Check down = passing to Receivers (usually RBs/FBs) within 5 yards of the LOS AFTER realizing that no receivers beyond that point are open.
    There were numerous times last season where I saw check downs wide open while Ryan was forcing it downfield to Gonzo or Julio.

- Wasting timeouts. He does that. lol.

- Too Streaky/Gets in a "rut". I can tell by the first 2 or 3 drives what kind of game he's going to have. Never fails.

MAIN STRENGTHS

- Accuracy within 20 yards. Hardly ever puts the ball in the wrong spot in this area.

- Reading defenses in the No-Huddle - Somebody please show me an instance where we ran the no-huddle and got shut down. Waste your time if you want to -- it didn't happen. Fortunately Smitty is realizing we need to do more of this and cater to his strengths.

He got all of those game winning drives while running the no-huddle.

- Passing footwork/Delivery. His delivery is textbook.

- Toughness - Had at least 3 injuries last year that looked like season-ending injuries when they happened. All he did was shake it off, come back in the game, and win. Eagles and Lions fans know what i'm talmbout. "GET THE CART" -- should'a been "GET THE W".

- Looking off coverages. Not even gon' explain this one. If you don't know what this means, you shouldn't even be in a football thread. Much less talkin ? .

- Improves every season.
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2012
    Options
    That's to the players.. u must don't watch ESPN cuz everytime I see something about Matt Ryan, they gushing over him.. remember when they were calling him the next peyton Manning???..Cuz I do.. now that I think about it, he is kinda like peyton.. can't do ? in the playoffs like Manning was for years..plus him and flacco got drafted the same year but uve never heard them ? of Ryan like they ? on flacco even tho flacco has won more games and actually won playoff games

Ohhhh, so you just mad 'cause nobody is "gushing" over Flacco. lol. Compare their stats, bruh.

And guess what, Trent Dilfer got just as many super bowl rings as a starter as Steve Young, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, and more than Dan Marino.

Does that make Trent Dilfer better than ANY of them? Of course it does. lol

And last time I checked ESPN just picked the Falcons to not even make the playoffs.

Try again.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH Too early for this ?
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    SMH Too early for this ?

This the CS, bruh. Never too early for hate and hyperbole. Yeen know, shawty?
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see ? already went to "he ain't won no playoff games"

Y'all ? and this ESPN logic that the qb is the only one that wins or loses games.

He's a good QB nobody ever said he was great
  • texasdaking88
    Options
    That's only becuz there are 2 better teams wit 2 better qbs than him..and if I recall wasn't they saying he should. Have been in the running for MVP his rookie year???..they just jumped off the "Matty ice " bandwagon this year when they realized he ain't ? in the playoffs once again.. but don't Try to rewrite history cuz for 4 years I been hearing them ? on every sports network try their hardest to include this dude in the "elite" qb conversation
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited July 2012
    Options
    What ESPN do you have @texasdaking88 cuz i dont hear them talking about he in the Elite qb discussion.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    That's only becuz there are 2 better teams wit 2 better qbs than him..and if I recall wasn't they saying he should. Have been in the running for MVP his rookie year???..they just jumped off the "Matty ice " bandwagon this year when they realized he ain't ? in the playoffs once again.. but don't Try to rewrite history cuz for 4 years I been hearing them ? on every sports network try their hardest to include this dude in the "elite" qb conversation

Major QB statistics

QB rating.

Passing yards.

TD passes.

Completion percentage.

I happen to know a QB that's in the top 8 in 3 of those 4 categories. And he's #11 in one.

When you're top ten at what you do. People will say good things about you. Period.
  • texasdaking88
    Options
    @icecoldstew ..that's ? .. check Tony romo if u believe that's true
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH Too early for this ?

lol. you act like you aint used to this ?
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options

lets be realistic here... some of joe flacco playoff "wins"

BAL@MIA W 27-9 9-23 39.1% 135yds 59.1 QB rating
    BAL@TEN W 13-10 11-22 50.0% 161yds 1td 89.4 QB rating
    BAL@NWE W 33-14 4-10 40.0% 34yds 1int 10.0 QB rating

i wish my QB had an elite level defense to carry the team to few early playoff wins

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My ? Brees stay with the check downs to Spo and when Reggie was there.

Hell if the big play aint there check it down. Yall ? want your QB to throw the Favre NFCCG losing picks.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    allday1992 wrote: »
    I see ? already went to "he ain't won no playoff games"

Y'all ? and this ESPN logic that the qb is the only one that wins or loses games.

He's a good QB nobody ever said he was great

They have to. They can't say ? else. And as a Falcon fan -- I love that.

You been a Falcon fan all your life, allday -- tell me the last time the *ONLY* thing a hater could say about the Falcons QB was "he ain't won a playoff game in his first 3 tries"

You know you're dry-hating or just dumb as ? when you think NOT making the playoffs and losing double-digit games is somehow better than making the playoffs and winning double-digit games.

Speaking of which...

Cam Newton rookie year = lost 10 games (including 2 to the Falcons) won rookie of the year with a 84.5 QB rating.

Matt Ryan rookie year = Won 11 games, won rookie of the year with a 87.7 QB rating.

Yeah, Cam is already better. Cool history, bro.
  • greenwood1921
    Options

lets be realistic here... some of joe flacco playoff "wins"

BAL@MIA W 27-9 9-23 39.1% 135yds 59.1 QB rating
    BAL@TEN W 13-10 11-22 50.0% 161yds 1td 89.4 QB rating
    BAL@NWE W 33-14 4-10 40.0% 34yds 1int 10.0 QB rating

i wish my QB had an elite level defense to carry the team to few early playoff wins

*Matt and Joe reads post...

nfl_u_flacco11_600.jpg

Matt: "Oh snap, I didn't know a 10 QB rating was even ? ' possible, bro."
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Greenwood

Is DJ shockley even on somebody roster this year?
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    What ESPN do you have @texasdaking88 cuz i dont hear them talking about he in the Elite qb discussion.

He watchin'....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8r8G4XYRbP2CgOCW_xYn3Tr6udRp4u2ta5h4TTPRgRYlZJ38

...And can't speak spanish.
  • texasdaking88
    Options
    Last years lone playoff game for Matty ice: completion %: 58.5
    Passer rating: 71.1
    Yards:199
    Yea, lets be realistic..
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    @Greenwood

Is DJ shockley even on somebody roster this year?

Don't even know or care. That's a question for @allday.