NYC targets reckless bike-riding delivery guys- and their employers will face fines!

Options
MorrisBX
MorrisBX Members Posts: 652 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in The Social Lounge
July 14 - NYC targets reckless bike-riding delivery guys- and their employers will face fines if they break laws! - ThatHustle.com
image.jpg

Businesses that don’t provide bike delivery people with safety instruction and equipment — including helmets, identifying clothes and ID numbers — will face up to a $300 fine under a new city program.
Get ready for slice and frisk.

Reckless bike-riding pizza delivery guys and their traffic-swerving fast food cohorts are the target of a new crackdown — with their employers facing fines if they break the law, city officials said Friday.

Businesses that don’t provide delivery people with safety instruction and equipment — including helmets, identifying clothes and ID numbers — will face up to a $300 fine, the Department of Transportation said.

Word of the plan left upper West Side deli owner Nick Pappas with indigestion.
“If I was driving in my car and got a ticket, they wouldn’t bill them,” Pappas said of his three cyclists. “The delivery people should be fined, not us.”

image.jpg

NYC Department of Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, City Council members and New York City restaurants announce new delivery cyclist education and enforcement program.

It’s a two-part process: First, a new team of six DOT inspectors will visit hundreds of upper West Side businesses to explain the regulations, then expand into other neighborhoods.

Six months after the visits begin on Monday, the inspectors will start targeting commercial bicyclists who ignore traffic signals, ride on sidewalks or fail to wear a helmet — among other things.

Upper West Sider Bill van Diepen, 63, said that’s not soon enough.
“Speed is important, but the cyclists shouldn’t be driving recklessly,” said the investment banker.

“I understand they’re hustling for their money, but the restaurants should hire people who are responsible and respectful to us on the sidewalks.”

image.jpg

Bike delivery people show off their safety equipment outside Lenny's on Columbus Ave.

Numbers demonstrate the city’s increased diligence against dangerous bikers. In 2010, there were 3,874 violations issued by the NYPD — compared with 14,392 last year.

The number could rise with the new “outreach and enforcement” unit on the street.

Jenny Perez, a worker at an upper East Side restaurant, said the new policy could prove bad for the bottom line.
“It could hurt businesses because the owner has to pay the fine,” said Perez, 20, of Astoria, Queens. “The driver is responsible for their own speed.”

But the manager of one upper West Side restaurant said he was already putting the brakes on rogue riders.
“I’m trying to make sure that they are responsible,” said Payam Goodarzi, 37, an executive at Kefi. “We already follow a lot of those rules.”

Source: NY Daily News

July 14 - NYC targets reckless bike-riding delivery guys- and their employers will face fines if they break laws! - ThatHustle.com