Paterno Statue Coming Down This Weekend

Options
GettinLo
GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/20/penn-state-take-down-joe-paterno-statue/

Penn State plans to remove its statue of Joe Paterno from campus this weekend, reports NFL Network’s Kimberly Jones on Twitter. Bonnie Bernstein also reported that the statue would come down.
Kimberly Jones

@KimJonesSports
Am told that Penn State plans to take down the Paterno statue this weekend.
20 Jul 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Bonnie Bernstein

@BonnieBernstein
Source: Penn State Board of Trustees voted on a conference call last night to take down Joe Paterno statue. Will happen this wknd.
A university spokesman told The Dan Patrick Show producer Paul Pabst that he was unaware of a decision about the statue.

Paulie Pabst@PaulPabst
A spokesman for Penn State University told me "I'm not aware of any decision being made about the statue."
The statue has become a point of contention in the aftermath of the Freeh Report, which said university leaders, including Paterno and former president Graham Spanier, had shown “total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky’s child victims.”

The report’s allegations would make it appear Paterno wasn’t forthcoming in his grand jury testimony in the case, in particular in his assertions that he was unaware of 1998 sexual abuse allegations against his then-defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. (Sandusky was convicted in June on 45 counts of sexual abuse.)

An ESPN.com report last Sunday said that the school had decided to let the statue stand. The school released a statement that evening denying that a decision had been made.

“Contrary to various reports, neither the Board of Trustees nor University Administration has taken a vote or made a decision regarding the Joe Paterno statue at ? Stadium,” the statement read.

The statue had been a rallying point for many last fall when the legendary football coach was fired by the university on Nov. 9 in the aftermath of Sandusky’s arrest.

The statue’s place on campus has come under fire recently. Some argued that it was another reminder of the way that football pervaded the culture of the university.

Since the Freeh Report’s release, “Paternoville,” the name given to the tents set up by students waiting outside ? Stadium before home football games, was changed to “Nittanyville.” Brown University, Paterno’s alma mater, took the late coach’s name off the trophy given to its top male athlete.

A small plane also flew over campus with a banner reading, “Take the statue down or we will.” In response, a group of students started a vigil to keep watch over the statue.

(To see a picture of the Paterno statue and pictures of statues of other sports figures, check o

Comments

• detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my sister is at penn state right now imma call her to get her reaction. im telling you yall dont understand how much joe pa is revered at penn state
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Them MFer gon riot!
  • GettinLo
    Options
    If they keep that statue, they should make a statue of Sandusky playing with children... Tell the WHOLE story
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    my sister is at penn state right now imma call her to get her reaction. im telling you yall dont understand how much joe pa is revered at penn state

i think the fact that its still up and people are draping it with flags and flowers and practically guarding the statue. oh and that he was more powerful than the campus police and any administrator there makes us all understand the way people there see him.

• King Lee
    King Lee Members, Writer Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that ? paterno ill make sure to spit on his grave when i go to pa
  • detcatinva
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

i think the fact that its still up and people are draping it with flags and flowers and practically guarding the statue. oh and that he was more powerful than the campus police and any administrator there makes us all understand the way people there see him.

from an outside perspective you can get a good sense now becasue of the whole situation. but being there is crazy. its like 2 miles of nothing but penn state joe pa. and u just get sucked into this whole bigger than life aura of a man and a university that's had this huge representation of the finest university and finest man you can think of.
  • ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn..... muthafuckers need to go take their last pics
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good. ? Paterno. How you gonna know someone is touching little boys and don't saying anything.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What does removing the statue proves? Nothing. All it is saying is we need to stop all this bad public relation and to further more cover up the bad press whe. It fact they should leave it up so that it would be a constant reminder of what took place there. Keep the discussion alive.
  • detcatinva
    Options
    What does removing the statue proves? Nothing. All it is saying is we need to stop all this bad public relation and to further more cover up the bad press whe. It fact they should leave it up so that it would be a constant reminder of what took place there. Keep the discussion alive.

penn state tryna save its face right now. they're afraid of the death penalty from the NCAA and also the US Board of Education. The Big10 has been talking about kicking them out of the conference. It's the politically correct thing to do at the moment
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

penn state tryna save its face right now. they're afraid of the death penalty from the NCAA and also the US Board of Education. The Big10 has been talking about kicking them out of the conference. It's the politically correct thing to do at the moment

Regardless if the remove it or not they will be forever known as ? U. Removing the statue to me personally is still liking to a cover up.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

from an outside perspective you can get a good sense now becasue of the whole situation. but being there is crazy. its like 2 miles of nothing but penn state joe pa. and u just get sucked into this whole bigger than life aura of a man and a university that's had this huge representation of the finest university and finest man you can think of.

It don't matter there are some thing more important than football and one man's legacy.The people of Penn state need to look at what's important and let it go.If they or a relative were amongst the victims now associated with Joe's legacy I guarantee that they would not be so supportive of that legacy.People never cease to prove to me that they are garbage.
  • ATTS
    Options
    In b4 they take down paterno statue....

It sucks that he aint here to see his statue go down.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So does anyone think students will be locking arms in front of the statue? I would think by now that everyone has come to terms that Paterno wasn't ? and that was before they opened the books.

I'm still up in the air on who is worse out of the two.

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they should make it a tv special show a dude steam rolling that ? statue
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So does anyone think students will be locking arms in front of the statue? I would think by now that everyone has come to terms that Paterno wasn't ? and that was before they opened the books.

I'm still up in the air on who is worse out of the two.

There were two dudes holding a "vigil" guarding the statue...it wasnt a group of anything. Statue is coming down, nobody at Penn is going to stand in front of that statue on live TV protecting a dude who basically assisted in child ? .
  • ATTS
    Options
    ? will come dowmn like sadaam hussein statue
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [/quote]

There were two dudes holding a "vigil" guarding the statue...it wasnt a group of anything. Statue is coming down, nobody at Penn is going to stand in front of that statue on live TV protecting a dude who basically assisted in child ? . [/quote]
    I don't think they would be that committed to him but it's Penn State.

• GettinLo
    Options
    Hopefully we'll see scenes like this

capt1049929106iraq_us_war_topix_xjd126.jpg

IraqIconic010.jpg

• dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    penn state did this ? to themselves..if they would have never hired the former fbi dude to do the report and release the findings none of this controversy would be going on..the administrators needed a scape goat and who better then a dead man..if you they remove the statue might as well remove anything paterno related which includes removal of name from buildings, ice cream flavor named after him at the campus creamery, record books, etc; and give back to his estate any money he has ever given and don't take any future donations from his estate
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll see scenes like this

capt1049929106iraq_us_war_topix_xjd126.jpg

IraqIconic010.jpg

first thing to come to mind when i seen this thread title
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    penn state did this ? to themselves..if they would have never hired the former fbi dude to do the report and release the findings none of this controversy would be going on..the administrators needed a scape goat and who better then a dead man..if you they remove the statue might as well remove anything paterno related which includes removal of name from buildings, ice cream flavor named after him at the campus creamery, record books, etc; and give back to his estate any money he has ever given and don't take any future donations from his estate

? are you talking about "scapegoat"? Are you on ? ? This dude knowingly and wantonly ignored a habitual child ? for damn near 40 years! Paterno is the powerful man on that Campus and he didnt do ? about it. ? are you talking about scapegoat? They should tear his name down from everything, this dude is just a big monster as Sandusky.
  • SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JoeKnows.jpg

But there should be no clapping
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

haha yaaaaa, this is a ? post.