who thought of this stupid "PG's should only pass" ? ?

Options
Jeezyfan4ever
Jeezyfan4ever Confirm Email Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
please, tell me. people use this excuse so much when hating on players like westbrook and rose, yet you dont see pass first PG's leading their team to championships often... aside from magic of course, but he was a freak and you can make an equal argument by saying he wasnt the right size to be a PG, therefor he wasnt a true PG.

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    position in the nba are overvalued these days. it really doesn't matter like it used to. the roles aren't the same
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    theres alot of PF and C's that dont rebound like a traditional big man either....its just people (supposed experts) making judgements based on position instead of skill
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the roles still matter. Every team needs a facilitator the facilitator should also be able to defend.

The big forward and the two guard are the positions best suited for scoring the rock (running your offense through). But if you run your offense through the center your pf has to rebound and protect the can like centers traditionally do or he needs to hit the three. Hence why Shaq was surrounded by...Horace grant, haslem, and Horry.

Point and small forward are the hardest positions to excel at (small forward is the least talented position in NBA history, but right now the NBA has melo bron and ? )

The reason why I call Kevin Durant a two is because he can't facilitate your offense. Harden technically is there small forward. He facilitates plays d and/or hits threes. (Traditional threes, bron: facilitate defend, bird: facilitate, shoot, Pippen: facilitate, defend) they are also secondary rebounders and the 2nd option as point guard on the court.

Power forwards extend the offense like twos but in a shallower position on the court. Fours should shoot mid range jumpers, be threats to get to the can and rebounder's. Dirk and K. Love as three point shooting 4s make it hard for the shooting guards on their team to excel. Because they crowd their space. (Notice Jordan's fours were always bruisers). Dirk excelled when he started shooting less threes and terry was able to become effective.

Point guards get bad wraps they are allowed to score. They do what needs to be done. But its hard to have the buy bringing it up as your primary scorer. Its easier to defend the team because they become disinterested a lot. Just my thoughts
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Exactly these dudes are fake psuedo sports experts....I don't care what credentials a person has. I don't agree with this. Whats the difference lets say Derrick Rose for example of taking it to the rim and getting the bucket and possibly a foul or dishing it off for a bucket. Same difference really unless its a three point bucket....come on now rose was averging 8 assists a game so it ain't really a matter. Just more experts who show they know know nothing about the game they played for or watched their whole life. Its not their fault they have been indoctrinated
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    No different from the "QBs should only stay in the pocket" ? . Especially when forward passes were once illegal.

A QB just "tucking and running" every play or a PG just gunnin' every possession ain't smart either. But supressing your talent just so people can give you some ? stamp of approval is the dumbest ? I've seen within sports.

Whole bunch of QB's and PG's have missed out on alot of winning by trying to just prove something to critics who would find something to hate about them either way.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Williams Paul Parker, Rondo, Rose and Westbrook all get buckets! ? that only pass whit!
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't want my PG to be the leading scorer & I'm a Bulls fan. I hate that Rose has to carry the team. he can be #2 but he has to work harder than most for the shots. They just don't have the talent
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    What people don't realize is that all the PG's and QB's that "passed well" did that more often because...

...Drumroll please....

That's what they did best.

I can't help but laugh when ? act like John Stockton or Rajon Rondo could easily average 40 a night if they wanted to. Or Tom Brady and Peyton Manning "choose" to stay in the pocket but they could easily "Vick" defenses if they "felt like it".

Yeah, Stockton and Rondo have had some decent scoring games, and I've even seen Brady and Peyton get chunks of yardage running before, but that's not their natural game. They do what they do 'cause that's the only reason they're stars to begin with.
  • Jeezyfan4ever
    Jeezyfan4ever Confirm Email Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the PG position is completely overrated, a team just needs to put together a group of players that compliment each others game

last PG champs

Mario Chalmers old J Kidd Fisher young Rondo
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    the PG position is completely overrated, a team just needs to put together a group of players that compliment each others game

last PG champs

Mario Chalmers old J Kidd Fisher young Rondo

Well damn @ the bold.

• ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who says that? What sports town are either of you in that says a pg should only pass? PGs runs the team, no they shouldn't b a shoot first guard cuz they have the ball in their hands 90% of the time. But they can look 4 their offense too.

And what person said T.Brady n P.Manning can M.Vick at anytime? ??

M.Vick can't even M.Vick! QBs can run, but its smarter to stay in the pocket. Ask M.Vick that.

And you can still b mobile in the pocket. U don't have to take off running. LBs hit hard!!
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No different from the "QBs should only stay in the pocket" ? . Especially when forward passes were once illegal.

A QB just "tucking and running" every play or a PG just gunnin' every possession ain't smart either. But supressing your talent just so people can give you some ? stamp of approval is the dumbest ? I've seen within sports.

Whole bunch of QB's and PG's have missed out on alot of winning by trying to just prove something to critics who would find something to hate about them either way.

smh first hand experience of that
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somehow i knew ghost's post would be the worst in this thread
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk, I was gonna say white people.. I have my reason but I'm @ work so I'll come back wit it n a lil bit
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Idk, I was gonna say white people.. I have my reason but I'm @ work so I'll come back wit it n a lil bit

@ the bold

eddiemurphyyesnodapprov.gif
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the game is better when we have traditional point guards... someone has to handle the rock, run plays, create situations, get ppl involved, etc...
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A) A PG who strictly passes is as useless as a PG who jacks up 25 shots a game. A PG is a facilitator...a good PG should be averaging 15-20 pts and 8 to 10 asts a game.

B) Which clowns have ever suggested that Brady or Manning could do what Vick does outside of the pocket. I straight up have NEVER EVER heard that.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im not saying his name but that white dude on espn 2
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    as long as the pg is looking to involve his or her team before he looks to score first then he or she is good
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think there's anybody who's ever said PG should ONLY pass so T/S made a thread opposing a idea noone conforms to

But if you wanna sit here and debate that a PG is not responsible for running a team and shouldn't look for the team first, i think its fair to say that you lack bball IQ

• texasdaking88
    Options
    Well, ill say unathletic white people..
  • texasdaking88
    Options
    @greenwood.. thats kinda the point i was gonna make.. when did it become the only way to play the qb position by standing in the pocket?? When bigger stronger faster black athletes start showing they could play that ? too.. but nobody was saying that ? when fran tarketen and other running white qbs were playing.. they just talk about how good they could improvise..lol.. same thing with bball.. and baseball too.. but baseball is too international(in the non white countries) so aint ? they can do with that
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if there was a WTF button I would have pressed it on Ghost ...
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes this is a very big racial issue...c/s to the fullest
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    somehow i knew ghost's post would be the worst in this thread

awwww....someone doesnt like me!! aww poor baby!! get over your grudge you arent important like that.

rage wrote: »
    A) A PG who strictly passes is as useless as a PG who jacks up 25 shots a game. A PG is a facilitator...a good PG should be averaging 15-20 pts and 8 to 10 asts a game.

B) Which clowns have ever suggested that Brady or Manning could do what Vick does outside of the pocket. I straight up have NEVER EVER heard that.
    ^^ that's what i;m saying, i never head that sh*T