Current NFL players that could be GOAT at their position?

Options

Comments

• vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    @en-fuego22 how did Jerry rice or joe Montana revolution their positions?

You can revolutionize to position and/or sport by making it more popular and you as a player being the face at that position which everyone is judge by.

revolutionize-To bring about a radical change. You don't think Jerry brought change to the WR postion . He put up numbers on a yearly basics that were unmatched.

Joe Montana isnt the goat anyway so wtf you talking about

I'll do you one better tho since my logical is off

Look at all the sports in the world. You'll see players at that particular sport or position that is consider the goat who did things that hasn't happen before . Soccer You have Pele, Hockey=Wayne, B-ball=Jordan, Baseball=Ruth and various other position. I can keep going but I hope you got the idea of what I was saying
    @evoljeanyes....dont ask fuego questions he cant give a proper answer too....he considered a wr as a rb in one thread so he dont know

Proof?

take that back it was rage....both ya'll be saying some off the wall type ? tho
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    @coop
    You mention Payton/ Sanders but no Emmitt?

But to answer the topic I only see Peyton and Ed Reed...

He would've been the 3rd but i just decided to put "etc... " instead

Plus i dont think hes better than either
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @coop

You are an idiot, because there is NO WAY Peyton will ever be remembered as the GOAT when he only has 1 ring.

He's closer to Dan Marino status. Great regular season QB... great stats.... but not a Winner.

• mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Ronnie Lott cant get no props in here for the work he put...cuz he definetly revolutionized the safety position and birthed niggad like Reed....and to be considered a GOAT dont you have to at least win a ring first?....

Lmao @ Revis.....come on son he's not ? wit Prime....hell he's barely ? wit Woodson IMO
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Co-sign Mike06!!! I love Ed Reed, he's a legend, But Ronnie Lott is the goat safety. 4 rings, made the pro bowl @ every position n the secondary, & got his finger amputed just to play!!! Lol The man was a BEAST!!!
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ed reed>>>>>>>>> Lott

49ers from the 80's is one of the greatest TEAMS of all time. especially cuz of thr West Coast offense.

Rings has nothing to do with greatness as a defensive player

Rod Woodson is better the Lott when he moved to safety.
    Rod Woodson and Ed Reed > Lott
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Ed reed>>>>>>>>> Lott

49ers from the 80's is one of the greatest TEAMS of all time. especially cuz of thr West Coast offense.

Rings has nothing to do with greatness as a player

fixed....only ? use rings to argue why a player is better in football
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    dbrazil412 wrote: »
    dbrazil412 wrote: »
    lol @ thinking all the possible "goats" play in the same era. Even if you live to be 80 you only gonna see maybe 5 GOATS (in different positions) period. All sports combined.

you just mad aint gonna be no GOAT falcons. lol but you do make alotta sense though

0.jpg

You're welcome.

the ? said CURRENT

Washington+Redskins+v+Atlanta+Falcons+KvLTkuwpmpNl.jpg

2 strikes. Don't swing at the next one. lol

• coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    Ed reed>>>>>>>>> Lott

*in team sports

There are a million ? in CS then smdh
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    R.D. wrote: »
    Ed reed>>>>>>>>> Lott

*in team sports

There are a million ? in CS then smdh

not just the CS

ESPN too
  • vageneral08
    Options
    @coop

You are an idiot, because there is NO WAY Peyton will ever be remembered as the GOAT when he only has 1 ring.

He's closer to Dan Marino status. Great regular season QB... great stats.... but not a Winner.

So is terry bradshaw on GOAT status because he won 4 rings with the steelers????.......if not then your silly ass logic is all wrong
  • vageneral08
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    So Ronnie Lott cant get no props in here for the work he put...cuz he definetly revolutionized the safety position and birthed niggad like Reed....and to be considered a GOAT dont you have to at least win a ring first?....

Lmao @ Revis.....come on son he's not ? wit Prime....hell he's barely ? wit Woodson IMO

Dont reach bruh.....
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry @KOA but ever since Matt Castle took the Pats to a 11-5 season i can't but Brady up there... And you see how Castle plays now when he's not in the system. Plus Brady hasn't won a ring since spy gate...lol
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    drop the quote where Ronnie Lott said Ed Reed is better than he ever was. Reed da GOAT
  • vageneral08
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    drop the quote where Ronnie Lott said Ed Reed is better than he ever was. Reed da GOAT

http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/ronnie-lott-says-ed-reed-best-safety-all-time-1330260/
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Ronnie Lott would've stayed suspended if he played today. His hitting style won championships in his day. These days, it gets you a 15 yard penalty and a auto 1st down.
  • mike06
    Options
    Can someone please name me some "GOATS" that aint won a ring?...off the top of my head Dan Marino and Tony Gwynn(or Ripken but i think he won early in his career right?)come to mind but even thier accomplishments are surpassed by a player that actually WON...i mean seriously someone just said Tom Brady is on the cusp of bein the GOAT if HE WINS ANOTHER RING but i have yet to see anyone throwin Marino's name in here and his stats surpass Brady by a long shot(and i guess some guy named John Elway was just lucky to have a beast RB at the right time right?)....im not sayin that rings are the only standard to make the argument but how you are considered THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME and haven't won the grandest prize....what are we basin thier greatness off of aside from getting the ring?....stats?...records?...someone said GOATS "transcend" thier respective league...and to say Lott didnt chamge the way the position was played and influenced ? like Atwater, Reed, Troy P, Sean Taylor(R.I.P.), etc is just crazy.....Reed is great no doubt one of my favorite players and will go down as one of the best to do it but other than his penchant for finding the endzone when the ball is in his hand what has he done that Lott didnt do beforehand?

@Vageneral quick question if Revis career ended tomorrow u really think thier building a bust in Canton for him....Woodson was consistently one of the top 3 DB's for a good 10+ yrs in his career wit PT and ________(Darrel Green?...Champ Bailey?....insert whoever fits) lets see how(or if) Revis pans out first before we crown him...lets see him do what he does in another system(cuz i highly doubt he ends his career with the Jets before its all said and done) on another team,etc.
  • mike06
    Options
    Ronnie Lott-1113 tackles(4 seasons of 100+ tackles),63 ints(5th all time),16 FF,5 DTD, 192 GP
    Ed Reed-548 tackles(0),57(11th),11,6(of course has more off of ST and leads with 18), 144(and is already contemplating retirement)

Again other than DTD's..and he could surpass Lott in INT's how is his statistical career better?....i haven't thrown in the fact HE WON 4 RINGS(cuz "rings dont determine one's greatness")...again what are we basing one's greatness off of?
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    Ronnie Lott-1113 tackles(4 seasons of 100+ tackles),63 ints(5th all time),16 FF,5 DTD, 192 GP
    Ed Reed-548 tackles(0),57(11th),11,6(of course has more off of ST and leads with 18), 144(and is already contemplating retirement)

Again other than DTD's..and he could surpass Lott in INT's how is his statistical career better?....i haven't thrown in the fact HE WON 4 RINGS(cuz "rings dont determine one's greatness")...again what are we basing one's greatness off of?

Yea, Ed Reed is good, best Safety of the last 10 years definitely, but he ain't ? ' with Lott.
  • mike06
    Options
    And even best safety the last ten yrs is debatable cuz ? swear up and down(especially in here) Troy P is better than him

Lott really had no equal when he was playin
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dan marino>>>>tom brady

rings don't count
  • moyo
    Options
    As I said earlier, Ronnie Lott went to the pro bowl @ all 4 positions n the secondary. He has more picks than Ed Reed, was a bigger enforcer than Ed Reed & of course four rings. Lookin @ his OVERALL body of work how n the hell can he not be the goat??? Reed is the best safety in the game today, but in my eyes Lott will always be the greatest.
  • moyo
    Options
    Oh yeah & Primetime ? on Revis. Prime & Mel Blount.
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2012
    Options
    moyo wrote: »
    Oh yeah & Primetime ? on Revis. Prime & Mel Blount.

This. And honestly, the state of DB's in the NFL right now is similar to the state of Centers and Power Forwards in the NBA.

Just because they're the best "now" doesn't mean they can hold a candle to the best of previous eras.

(i.e. Shaq >>>>>>>>>> Dwight Howard.)

Just look at all the passing records getting shattered almost every year. It ain't cause offensive coordinators are suddenly all geniuses and it ain't just 'cause of rule changes -- Part of it is because these QBs aren't having to face DBs like Deion, Aenas Williams, Rod Woodson, Darrell Green, Mel BLount, Ronnie Lott, etc.)

There are some B-list DBs from the 90s that would be considered "goats" if they played today. (Eric Allen, Ray Buchanan, Mark Carrier, etc.)