The Real Reasons People Believe in ? : Believers' Reasons for Religion, Theism

Options

Comments

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    @loch121. Have you seen the matrix? Only in the matrix, life could be whatever you want it to be. Out of it, you were left with reminders of how man doesn't have a choice...the machines were making them.

And in Morpheous description of the Matrix...he said it was "everywhere". We ought not think the blinders only exist in religion.

@alissowack The Matrix is whatever you're born plugged into that's feeding you untruths and using you for it's own power source.

truth is the matrix wasn't real so whatever you do in it isn't real.

The only thing that was real were the robots and real ppl on the ships living real life who were not plugged in to a fake reality made by robots who used the ppl plugged in as batteries and kept their mind on stress to make them feed them more power.

All untruths we believe that form false opinions are wrong.religion,Government,Money system,sexism,racism,classism etc etc etc

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    @loch121. Have you seen the matrix? Only in the matrix, life could be whatever you want it to be. Out of it, you were left with reminders of how man doesn't have a choice...the machines were making them.

And in Morpheous description of the Matrix...he said it was "everywhere". We ought not think the blinders only exist in religion.

@alissowack The Matrix is whatever you're born plugged into that's feeding you untruths and using you for it's own power source.

The only thing that was real were the robots and real ppl on the ships living real life who were not plugged in to a fake reality made by robots who used the ppl plugged in as batteries and kept their mind on stress to make them feed them more power.

All untruths we believe that form false opinions are wrong.religion,Government,Money system,sexism,racism,classism etc etc etc

But, you make it seem as if outside of the matrix was a very pleasant thing. The robots still had a grip on mankind even when "unplugged". The reality for them was unless they had a "savior", the robots would still rule over them.
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    Options
    How could Islam be born with a sword in hand when the few fledgling followers that it had in the start were openly tortured and humiliated?

You have zero idea of what you're talking about do you?

it's a lot better to say "I don't know" than to talk about something that you possess no knowledge on, i wish people would understand that

And the main goal of Islam is to get converts when it states CONSTANTLY in the Qur'an that our only responsibility is to convey the message?

This is why i stopped posting on here everybody wants to portray themself as a scholar when they can't even get the most simple things correct
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    How could Islam be born with a sword in hand when the few fledgling followers that it had in the start were openly tortured and humiliated?

You have zero idea of what you're talking about do you?

it's a lot better to say "I don't know" than to talk about something that you possess no knowledge on, i wish people would understand that

And the main goal of Islam is to get converts when it states CONSTANTLY in the Qur'an that our only responsibility is to convey the message?

This is why i stopped posting on here everybody wants to portray themself as a scholar when they can't even get the most simple things correct

http://answering-islam.org/Authors/Arlandson/crusades.htm

"I call you to ? and to Islam. If you respond to the call, you are Muslims: You obtain the benefits they enjoy and take up the responsibilities they bear. If you refuse, then [you must pay] the jizyah. If you refuse the jizyah, I will bring against you tribes of people who are more eager for death than you are for life. We will fight you until ? decides between us and you." (Tabari, The Challenge to the Empires, trans. Khalid Yahya Blankinship, NY: SUNYP, 1993, vol. 11, p. 4; Arabic page 2017)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_war

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But, you make it seem as if outside of the matrix was a very pleasant thing. The robots still had a grip on mankind even when "unplugged". The reality for them was unless they had a "savior", the robots would still rule over them.

Life isn't about what's pleasant or fair it just is what it is. The matrix world wasn't pleasant either it was fake.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options

Life isn't about what's pleasant or fair it just is what it is. The matrix world wasn't pleasant either it was fake.

Well, without knowing what is pleasant or fair (or fake), we won't have respect for the "what is" in life. Sure, the matrix is fake, but why even care that it is if that is your perspective?
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    Options
    Did this dude really just use an anti-Islam website to prove his point

you're not bright are you?

The jizya is only applicable when a country is under shariah which would have been impossible if the Muslims were being TORTURED AND HUMILIATED.....just say I messed up and keep it moving

"So if they dispute with thee, say: "I have submitted My whole self to Allah and so have those who follow me." And say to the People of the Book and to those who are unlearned: "Do ye (also) submit yourselves?" If they do, they are in right guidance, but if they turn back, Thy duty is to convey the Message; and in Allah's sight are (all) His servants."

Surah 3:20

"And our duty is only to proclaim the clear Message."

Surah 36:17

:"And if ye reject (the Message), so did generations before you: and the duty of the apostle is only to preach publicly (and clearly)."

Surah 29:18

If you're going to quote something quote an ayah from the Qur'an or an authentic hadith IN CONTEXT instead of a website that's obviously anti-Islamic, or keep silent.

Don't say I caught feelings because i exposed you as a joke try and release the clutch the devil has around your throat and take heed to what i'm saying....or don't...my job is only to convey the message.
  • Bodhi
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Did you really just use the Quran to prove your point? That's like telling me that Christians don't have sex before marriage or that there are no homosexual Christians because the Bible teaches against it. First of all, I'm smarter than you so if I'm not bright, neither are you. I could use the Bible to try to claim the Christian crusades didn't happen, but that wouldnt work because they did. Plenty of wars have been fought in the name of Allah. Lets not try to dispute that.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    orthodox accepts converts but they dont outreach....people usually volunteer

The Islamic crusades? Islam was born with a sword in hand.

You said no one besides Christians will try to argue you into believing in a ? . That is so false it's not even funny

conversion by sword is not the same as trying to argue somebody into believing in ? . Muslims of that era would have just killed atheists. So therefore the original point I made stands ? .
  • Bodhi
    Options
    They would have killed anyone who didn't follow Islamic doctrine. Take Africa for example. According to you, Africans are theistic by design. That is the ultimate argument; an ultimatum, either convert or die.
  • judahxulu
    edited August 2012
    Options
    They would have killed anyone who didn't follow Islamic doctrine. Take Africa for example. According to you, Africans are theistic by design. That is the ultimate argument; an ultimatum, either convert or die.

foh outta here with that reaching. thats not comprabale to the part of the o.p.'s little list or my refutation we are referring to. ? stop. and quote where i said africans were theistic by design. nigg you lame. its ok to be wrong doggie.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    You said, not in this thread but another, that atheism is not African. If that is true, then Africans are theists by design. But Islam invaded Africa. You say they would have only killed atheists. Again, islam forced conversion in Africa. What you say does not add up. Stop trying to cover your tracks and admit you are wrong.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    I'm on the phone duke but you know I have no prob with quoting your ass to remind you of the ? you talk. Dont make me do it
  • judahxulu
    Options
    You said, not in this thread but another, that atheism is not African. If that is true, then Africans are theists by design. But Islam invaded Africa. You say they would have only killed atheists. Again, islam forced conversion in Africa. What you say does not add up. Stop trying to cover your tracks and admit you are wrong.

everything atheist is not theist by default stupid. atheism is limited to refuting western religions limited concept of the unseen. i have never said africans were theists by design. it dont add up TO YOU because your comprehension is limited by your false presuppositions. I make my position very clear. YOU THE ONE keep trying to put me in a religious/theist box. you enjoy your atheist box...
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Atheism is non belief in any gods, regardless of religion or spirituality

Theism is belief in a ? or gods
  • judahxulu
    Options
    ? no... that is not what a theist is

• judahxulu
    Options
    dictionaries are free online...do we have to play this game of me posting various definitions of theism from different references or are you gone quit playing?
  • Bodhi
    edited August 2012
    Options
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Theism

the·ism
       [thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA

noun
    the belief in one ? as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation ( distinguished from deism).

belief in the existence of a ? or gods ( opposed to atheism).

I wish you would stop being a ? head
  • Bodhi
    Options

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism?s=t

a·the·ism
       [ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA

noun
    the doctrine or belief that there is no ? .

disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
  • judahxulu
    Options
    DEISM, PANTHEISM, AGNOTICISM?? i never said africans were inherently theist. im not being a ? because i know PRECISELY what the ? im talking about but you dont and you think you do...
  • Bodhi
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Deism (i/ˈdiː.ɪzəm/[1][2] or /ˈdeɪ.ɪzəm/) is a religious philosophy which holds that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of a creator. According to deists, ? never intervenes in human affairs or suspends the natural laws of the universe. Deists typically reject supernatural events such as prophecy and miracles, tending instead to assert that a ? (or "the Supreme Architect") does not alter the universe by intervening in it. This idea is also known as the clockwork universe theory, in which a ? designs and builds the universe, but steps aside to let it run on its own. Two main forms of deism currently exist: classical deism and modern deism.

Pantheism is a word derived from the Greek (pan) meaning "all" and the Greek (theos) meaning "? ". It is the view that everything is part of an all-encompassing immanent ? [1], or that the Universe (or Nature) and ? (or divinity) are identical

In other words, both are branches of theism.

I guess you could say that deists could believe in a force or energy and not necessarily an intelligent being controlling the universe, which might as well equate to atheism, imo.

agnosticism, as I've argued before, imo is a type of unbelief, a subset of atheism, weak atheism to be exact
  • Bodhi
    Options
    You said atheism is not African and that Europeans invented atheism
  • judahxulu
    Options
    Deism (i/ˈdiː.ɪzəm/[1][2] or /ˈdeɪ.ɪzəm/) is a religious philosophy which holds that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of a creator. According to deists, ? never intervenes in human affairs or suspends the natural laws of the universe. Deists typically reject supernatural events such as prophecy and miracles, tending instead to assert that a ? (or "the Supreme Architect") does not alter the universe by intervening in it. This idea is also known as the clockwork universe theory, in which a ? designs and builds the universe, but steps aside to let it run on its own. Two main forms of deism currently exist: classical deism and modern deism.

Pantheism is a word derived from the Greek (pan) meaning "all" and the Greek (theos) meaning "? ". It is the view that everything is part of an all-encompassing immanent ? [1], or that the Universe (or Nature) and ? (or divinity) are identical

In other words, both are branches of theism.

? ever ? . none of your ? semantics invalidates my point. ATHEISM IS NOT AN AFRICAN THING AT ALL.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    What I'm saying is that the above statement coupled with your other claim that Islam would only ? atheists doesn't make any sense, seeing as how Islamic invaders forced conversion in Africa. According to you, Africans weren't/aren't atheists. Somewhere, you're wrong. Pick your poison.