Why is America's prison system heavily criticized?

Options
God-I_Am_Ether
God-I_Am_Ether Members Posts: 3,409
edited July 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
It's prison. It's not suppose to be a wonderful experience. Why be concerned about the rights of those that are not concerned about others rights?

A corrupt system for corrupt people seems fair to me.

Also I don't see a problem with Privately owned prisons either.

xFF36.png

Comments

• TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because the penitentiary is packed and it's filled with blacks......
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    Options
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not prison people have a problem with, its the system. The system in some places gives people no education and psychologically attack them through TV media and news since birth to feel like their only way out is to go the illegal route. Then for the smallest crime, that person gets 10 years and ends up working in prison for like .25 cents an hour. in other words, slave labor.
  • Tommy_Milfhitta
    Tommy_Milfhitta Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The system is f'd up. I'm talking bout the "Behind the Scenes" not the actual prison itself. There is too much injustice, way too much injustice especially for young black men, believe it or not. T/s if u not black or not closely linked with young black men u wont understand. The colour of your skin and your standing in society plays a huge role in how the Judicial Law will work for or against u.

Let me put things into perspective 4 u. This is actually true. Here in the UK an English politician who stole over £30 000 by defrauding the system, by falsely claiming for personal expenses was only in jail for 3 months.

During the riots last year an 18 year old black boy stole a pair of Adidas sneakers worth only £60 and he gets done for 6 months in jail.

Now you tell me, aint there something wrong with this picture?
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    Options
    Azad
    8:41AM Posts: 238
    It's not prison people have a problem with, its the system. The system in some places gives people no education and psychologically attack them through TV media and news since birth to feel like their only way out is to go the illegal route. Then for the smallest crime, that person gets 10 years and ends up working in prison for like .25 cents an hour. in other words, slave labor.

What places?
    Name some shows that psychologically attack these said people.
    Tommy_Milfhitta
    8:44AM Posts: 566
    The system is f'd up. I'm talking bout the "Behind the Scenes" not the actual prison itself. There is too much injustice, way too much injustice especially for young black men, believe it or not. T/s if u not black or not closely linked with young black men u wont understand. The colour of your skin and your standing in society plays a huge role in how the Judicial Law will work for or against u.

Let me put things into perspective 4 u. This is actually true. Here in the UK an English politician who stole over £30 000 by defrauding the system, by falsely claiming for personal expenses was only in jail for 3 months.

During the riots last year an 18 year old black boy stole a pair of Adidas sneakers worth only £60 and he gets done for 6 months in jail.

Now you tell me, aint there something wrong with this picture?

Do you think the number of people from certain groups that constantly commit certain crimes play a role in how sever the punishment will be?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    So his skin tone is the reason why his punishment was harsher is that what you're saying @over_?
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We only have like 8% of the world population but still have 25% of the worlds prisoners...something aint right
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    because not everyone thinks that prison should be 100% punishment. especially for those inmates who will definitely be re entering society after a short period of time
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    Options
    Jamaica
    9:15AM Posts: 16,598
    So his skin tone is the reason why his punishment was harsher is that what you're saying @over_?

What I was asking is does the frequency of certain crime(s) committed by the same group of people play a role in sentencing.

Like during the ? era as a judge all you would see is young black makes getting busted for selling ? from the same areas day in and day out.

How can you send a message to this one group with this major problem that it's not worth it?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only problem is that too often that corrupt system is filled to the from with people who aren't corrupt. When prison are privatized, it becomes about the same thing as every other business: PROFIT! Meaning you'll do whatever you can to get 'customers'. Like lobbying to have crazy sentences for non-violent drug crimes, like possession and ? like that. Of course, mostly black people and hispanics are affected by this because we are the ones who put up with it and give our vote away when it comes time to elect officials.

/thread
  • 5th Letter
    edited July 2012
    Options
    over_? wrote: »
    Jamaica
    9:15AM Posts: 16,598

What I was asking is does the frequency of certain crime(s) committed by the same group of people play a role in sentencing.

Like during the ? era as a judge all you would see is young black makes getting busted for selling ? from the same areas day in and day out.

How can you send a message to this one group with this major problem that it's not worth it?

You don't think that's a problem? Each case should be treated individually. No judge should be giving harsher sentences just because "he sees young black males getting busted for selling ? day in and day out"
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    Options
    @jamaica

Should'nt a sentence send a message to those who are committing the same type of crimes too?

Anyway tougher sentencing doesn't work on most of the criminal element in the Black Community either.

The 3 strike law was like a badge of honor.

And don't let a ? get Fed Time. Even ? on the streets are happy to have homies in the Feds.

The whole prison experience is suppose to bad enough to where you don't want to ever go back and that's not the case for a lot of people regardless of race.
  • Tommy_Milfhitta
    Options
    Do you think the number of people from certain groups that constantly commit certain crimes play a role in how sever the punishment will be?

To an extent yes, if a certain group of ppl frequently commit the same crime then their sentence might be more severe. Which goes hand-in-hand with the point I was making.

White boy gets caught with a kilo of ? :Bail set at $5000 then gets sentenced to 5 years.

Black boy gets caught with a kilo of ? . No bail, then gets sentenced for 8 years.

^^^^^^^
    The above is intended for illustration purposes only but there is an underlying truth to it.
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cuz we have more prisoners per capita than any other developed country.

Something clearly ain't right.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only a ? troll would ask such a question...
    to summarize: the overwhelming majority of people who are incarcerated will return home... so its in OUR best interest to ensure that prison is an environment that at the least doesn't exacerbate our crime issues...
  • Tommy_Milfhitta
    Options
    When its all said and done, if u are facing charges as a young black male, u better hope to ? that the jury is mostly black or the judge is black otherwise u might get the very bitter end of the stick.
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    Options
    @tommy

Would you say that Black & Hispanic Drug dealers tend to do more damage to society than White Drug dealers.

Black & Hispanics tend to bring down there own neighborhood and innocent people within those community have to suffer for it. They tend to bring violence along with the drugs.

How often are white boys busting guns over a spot or making their own community look like ? (with the exception of trailer parks).

On second thought there are alot of trashy white neighborhoods too.
  • Tommy_Milfhitta
    Options
    over_? wrote: »
    @tommy

Would you say that Black & Hispanic Drug dealers tend to do more damage to society than White Drug dealers.

Black & Hispanics tend to bring down there own neighborhood and innocent people within those community have to suffer for it. They tend to bring violence along with the drugs.

How often are white boys busting guns over a spot or making their own community look like ? (with the exception of trailer parks).

On second thought there are alot of trashy white neighborhoods too.

My friend, look around, the white dealers aren't on the streets, in most cases they are the 'connects' that supply the black and Hispanic dealers. But yes the black community is ethering themselves through all this gang related ? .
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    See, that way of thinking is why it's failing. It's about rehabilitation, not locking people away to think about what they did...with other people who did it better....and have no choice but to become hardened. These cats are going to be released, so we can either help those that want to change succeed or let them use the new skills they acquired to take your ? with ease. Prison is a two way street.
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Anyone ever notice you never see very many Japanese people in the prison system - huh?
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    Options
    @unspoken

Rehabilitating what exactly?

You mean an adult criminal doesnt understand that the crimes he/she commits are indeed crimes and if he/she continues then he/she will continue to go to prison?

See we claim the prison system is bad yet and still muthafuckas constantly keep going like its the place to be.
  • Tommy_Milfhitta
    Options
    Anyone ever notice you never see very many Japanese people in the prison system - huh?

Yeah...until u go to Japan nd u notice they make up more than 97% of the prison population...
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't mistreat prisoners because the vast majority of inmates will be released at one point. Their likelihood of re-offending depends on the system they were imprisoned under.

A lot of the criminals released are not violent until they go to prison. Prison culture is mired in violence.

Ergo if somebody is taught to be violent in prison then they are extremely likely to continue that once they are released.

The way ex-cons are treated upon release also leads to re-offending. Ex-cons rarely find jobs and are often taught that they shouldn't even apply to certain places because they won't get the job. With that mentality why shouldn't they go back to doing whatever it was that put them in prison in the first place?

Its all about the system. If you teach people skills (trades), educate them (academically) and give them an opportunity to use what they've learned then recidivism will decrease dramatically.

Otherwise you just continue the cycle. The vast majority of people are in prison right now because they felt hopeless and had no stake in society. They probably had no idea what they could do if they had the knowledge and opportunity and so they turned to crime because it was "easy" and they saw results.

You can't tell people to go to school and do the right thing if they don't see any positive results from it. The dopeman don't have to worry about layoffs and other such politics.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    While I understand what youre saying @over_? giving harsher punishment to a certain group sends the wrong message. It shows how currupt the justice system is.