The most hated songs on each Nas album

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
edited July 2012 in The Reason
It seems like on every Nas album (except Illmatic) there is always that one track that gets the most hate. Of all these songs which ones do you actually like or which do you feel gets the hate it deserves. 

Life is good- this was an amazing album, dope hip hop at it's finest, dope lyrics and dope beats combined together to create a great musical masterpiece. The weakspot on this album was summer on smash, although it has grown on me I still consider it a average at best song. 

Untitled- one of the best concept albums ever recorded, an album that touched on various subjects like poltics, race, religion and black history. The song that gets the most hate is we make the world go round. I actually liked it although I can understand why some people were turned off by it. It just didn't fit the sound of the album. 

Hip Hop is Dead- Another concept record which IMO did what it intended to do. It sparked debate among the artist and fans alike about the current climate of hip hop and the direction it took. On this album he explained the roots of hip hop and how it started, he paid homage to the lesser known legends and even shouted out the contributors to the genre (Slyvia Robinson) he broke down who and what in his opinion killed hip hop. The song that seems to get the most hate was who killed it. Very creative concept but I disliked the ? Tracy voice he used. 

Streets Disciple- With this album I felt Nas made this a double album just for the sake of putting out a double album. This album had some very creative storytelling (Live Now) and some cool concept records (getting married) with this album it's hard to say what was the most hated, so I'll just say the whole album gets hate as a whole. This album was definitely for Nas fans. 

Comments

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Illmatic - One Time for ya Mind..

Untitled - Breathe and that ass track with the Game
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    ? Son- This album solidified Nas as far as him being "back" the previous album was dope but could Nas do it again, he dropped one of his most personal albums with this one. Giving us a glimpse of what was going on in his life both personally and professionally. The most hated song on this album is probably Zone Out. Even on this song Nas still spazzed out. 

Stillmatic- One of the most important albums of Nas career, coming off "three duds" he needed this album to get the critical acclaim and to prove to the doubters and everybody that Nas can make great albums. This album had a combination of everything Nas would later expound on on later albums, religion, politics, world issues, and hip hop history. This had something for everybody, the song that gets the most hate was braveheart party, a song that would get taken off later versions. 

Nastradamus- The second of two albums Nas dropped in 99. Overall very underwhelming IMO. But this album still had some gems, like project windows and some of us have angels. The song that gets the most hate on this album was big girl, IMO this was better off left off the album. 

I Am- which was supposed to be originally apart of a double disc, the album had newly recorded songs due to heavy bootlegging in late 98-early 99. As a result the album we got was a very solid effort but at the time was deemed as "wack" , just like on his next album Nastradamus this featured a few gems like favor for a favor and we will survive. The most hated song on this album was dr knockboot. 

It Was Written- Nas second album and what was considered a disappointment in 96 has eventually evolved to admiration 16 years later, a change from his more rugged sound on Illmatic. Nas sound became flashy, and his songs became more creative, a change that people at the time viewed as "selling out". For the youngsters this is like Nas letting Lex Luger executive produce his album. The move to working with trackmasters was greeted with mixed reviews. The most hated song was Nas is coming. I personally thought it was a dope song. This is the only song I don't understand the hate for.  
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do hate Zone Out (? 's Son)...that's one of the things I agree with, song sucks B. The beat agitates me to no end.

Summer on Smash has worn on me too but its my least favorite track on there.

I'm in the minority because I like Nastradamus. Compared to other Nas albums its probably the weakest but compared to some other rapper's albums its great.

The reason a lot of people hate Nastradamus was because of the singles. Probably the weakest pair of singles Nas ever released. It sends people into the album on a bad note but there are some great tracks on there.

HHID should be considered a classic IMO. Its probably my favorite Nas album released last decade. I listen to more tracks from there more than ? 's Son, Untitled or Stillmatic.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Word HHID may not get the credit it deserves until years later, it's Nas most underrated album.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alot of Jay-Z fans are really Nas fans their just in denial... That Ether hurt some feelings
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Illmatic - n/a.

It Was Written - n/a (but the math that Foxy was spitting on Affirmative Action was horrible)

I Am... - n/a ( but the beat on Dr. Knockboot wasn't all that)

Nastradamus - Big Girl (corny)

Stillmatic - Braveheart Party (if you wanna count the original pressings, if not then My Country)

? 's Son - The Cross (Emenem produced some Adams Family theme song sounding ? for Nas)

Street's Disciple - American Way (Kelis delivered a lazy, unenthusiastic chorus. Underwhelming)

Hip-Hop Is Dead - Who Killed It? (dope concept, corny execution)

Untitled - n/a.

Life Is Good - n/a (but the beat on Nasty didn't move me)

...those are the most hated songs by me.
  • JYo79
    JYo79 Members Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the thing is with a majority of Nas albums there's always a song or two that doesn't fit. Especially when you hear an unreleased track or 2, and a track that he did but gave it to another rapper for their album. I felt like even tho his albums are good to bored line great a couple of track swamps would make it even better
  • 5th Letter
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I think the song he did with the Game called letter to the king would have been a better fit than we make the world go round.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^ exactly. He should have put that on his album, but instead it was on Game's. -__-
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas is Coming is his wackest song ever
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Streets Disciple - Makings of a Perfect ? (I love that album, but that song was terrible)
    HHID - Blunt Ashes (why the ? would he pay for a beat made by Chris Webber? Horrible song, good album though)
  • Nile Gambino
    Nile Gambino Members Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaica wrote:
    It seems like on every Nas album (except Illmatic) there is always that one track that gets the most hate. Of all these songs which ones do you actually like or which do you feel gets the hate it deserves. 

Life is good- this was an amazing album, dope hip hop at it's finest, dope lyrics and dope beats combined together to create a great musical masterpiece. The weakspot on this album was summer on smash, although it has grown on me I still consider it a average at best song. 

Untitled- one of the best concept albums ever recorded, an album that touched on various subjects like poltics, race, religion and black history. The song that gets the most hate is we make the world go round. I actually liked it although I can understand why some people were turned off by it. It just didn't fit the sound of the album. 

Hip Hop is Dead- Another concept record which IMO did what it intended to do. It sparked debate among the artist and fans alike about the current climate of hip hop and the direction it took. On this album he explained the roots of hip hop and how it started, he paid homage to the lesser known legends and even shouted out the contributors to the genre (Slyvia Robinson) he broke down who and what in his opinion killed hip hop. The song that seems to get the most hate was who killed it. Very creative concept but I disliked the ? Tracy voice he used. 

Streets Disciple- With this album I felt Nas made this a double album just for the sake of putting out a double album. This album had some very creative storytelling (Live Now) and some cool concept records (getting married) with this album it's hard to say what was the most hated, so I'll just say the whole album gets hate as a whole. This album was definitely for Nas fans. 

everything you said is right but life is good is a phenomenal hiphop classic
    untitled was dope but wasn't for everybody and yeah the world go round didn't fit the album but it its cool song
    hiphop is dead was medicore nas album but aint bad and who killed is a dope concept but the song came out bad
    streets' disciple just like you said personal nas albums for only nas fans he started to be too personal on his lifestyle and reflect it onhis albums and not everybody got satisfied with these albums since ? 's son that's why it's only for people who loves nas as a person too much that's why they wont admit that they are wack but i listen to all ? ilove it all even the medicore ones
  • Nile Gambino
    Nile Gambino Members Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    Options
    the ? 's son lp got one of most dope and hard by nas which is made look i flip out when he says like pun said you aint even in mi casa
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Wtf hell nah lol

"Hero" is dope son
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bet ? would be surprised if i told them that hero had some airplay down in south florida.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    And cot damn, if i was Nas i would never help those bummy ass braveheart ? .
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ braveheart party.. if it wasnt for the internet it wouldve been erased from history..

yea 'onetime' is the worst song on illmatic..

im not a big fan of 'i am'. i could name more than a few songs i didnt like on there..

not gonna go thru all the albums alot of them hae been named but i will say 'summer on smash' is his new worst..

i actually like 'american way'. nas rhymin' over atomic dog ftw. & he killed 'zone out'. '..me & al sharpton wont be broke in harlem..'

• Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Illmatic
    "One Time 4 Your Mind"..even though it was lyrically dope, the Large Pro production was somewhat mediocre..

It Was Written
    "Nas Is Coming"..the same effect..dope lyrics but Dr. Dre giving him a throwaway beat..

I Am..The Autobiography
    Dr. Knockboot...very lackluster..

Nastradamus
    You Owe Me..he was shooting for that commercial/club joint and failed with the throwaway Timbaland beat.
    Big Girl..smh @ Nas trying to do his best Bone Thugs impersonation...and that hook?! Nah..

Stillmatic
    Braveheart Party..even a Mary J. Blige hook couldn't save that ? . Another failed attempt for a club joint. Jungle and Wiz...lackluster performance.

? Son
    Zone Out..Even though that House In Virginia line was ill it also shows that his younger brother and friend couldn't follow in his footsteps.

Streets Disciple
    Makings Of A Perfect ? ..terrible song.

Hip Hop Is Dead
    Blunt Ashes..Chris Webber production...nah son stick to basketball.
    Who Killed It?..dope concept but bad execution..

Untitled
    Make The World Go Round.....was aight and meh..wasn't too fond of it.

Life Is Good
    Not too many hated songs on this..yet. I've been banging this album for two weeks now and haven't found any major flaws..he basically came out with a well rounded album.

• Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    Bruh, blunt ash is dope as ? .
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HHID was the album that made me a Nas fan. The first time I heard the title song on tv (ahh the days when music channels played videos) I was instantly hooked. That was around the time I joined up on here, and as you can tell by my screen name that was my ? .
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas killed 1 time for your mind and Nas is coming not sure why these are hated...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For me it's every single Braveheart cut lol, and the 2nd track on ? 's Son because of the wackass beat.