"content'' the most overrated thing in hiphop and the biggest excuse to hate

Options

Comments

• *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    If everyone agreed the world wouldn't be any fun. If hip-hop was one dimensional it wouldn't be any fun.
    If your favorite artist is one dimensional just admit that he's one dimensional and move on. Nobody gonna kick your ass over it. If he aint lyrical then just say he aint lyrical and move on.

I listen to rappers that are ignorant and not lyrical also but then again I don't make idiotic comments overrating them either.

I'll give you an example:
    I like NORE, grew up on him but he's ignorant as ? and is not a lyricist by any stretch of the imagination. But you won't see me making topics saying NORE ? on 2Pac because NORE bangs in the whip or something dumb like that.

If you don't want to open yourself up to criticism on that level or if you can't handle criticism of your musical taste then log off and stay outta here.

In the Project Pat topic I talked my ? , it was a discussion thread and people who liked him gave their reasons and told me things I didn't know. Did it change my mind? No. But it forced me to recognize that one man's trash is another man's treasure and that's fine with me.

Nothing said here will change the minds of anyone but discussion can put other people on something they usually wouldn't have listened to or liked.

I'm as open minded as rap nerds come. In fact I talk ? about "Rick Ross" but I'm going to listen to his album...in fact I've heard them all anyway so when I speak my opinion on his I'm not talkin outta my ass.

Alot of fans feel like you can only like one type of rap. They feel like if you love ? C there's no way you can listen to Mos Def, and the funny ? is alot of these conscious rappers these dudes love to prop up as the greatest and somehow more intelligent solely for their content LOVE the same ignorant music their fans hate.

Yep, and be the biggest hypocrites. A lot of those dudes don't practice what they preach, especially that fake ass conscious no pork eating ? Mos Def.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    cobbland wrote: »
    Content matters.

When people make legitimate complaints about hip-hop its usually regarding the content.

It doesn't take much skill to rap about money, ? , or cars. That's why so many do it.

LOL who do you think complains about hiphop, the same elitist ? . The average person who is not a head don't give two ? or get caught up in commercial vs underground nonsense. The average person listen to rap to be entertain, nothing more.

These aren't elitists.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/01/06/columbus-school-apologizes-for-song-lyrics.html

http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/06/26/that-s-a-rap-music-still-putting-down-women/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1548682/Obama-hits-out-at-rappers-who-degrade-women.html

I doubt this young boy is influenced by Immortal Technique or Canibus. I doubt he or his parents even know who the ? they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YDClZJLkCHg&oref=http://www.youtube.com/embed/YDClZJLkCHg

LMAO

imager.php?id=3997215&t=o
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Different eras value different things, I guess. I came up in the "golden age" of hip hop where lyrics and lyrical content was important. This era seems to value the material things a little more. I was 14 in 88 when Slick Rick, PE, Kane, Kool G Rap and those artist helped form the way I feel about hip hop today. Content is underrated, imo.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see it like this... my favorite rapper is Redman, and he hasn't talked about much in 20+ years other than smoking weed. At the same time, Mumo X has a point... the best artists evolve over time. Hip hop is mostly a young man's game, and you're mostly gonna hear what that they're going through at the time, which is nothing short of partying, gettin money and ? ? . Sure you got dudes like Nas and Pac, but they come once in a blue moon.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So this is a Jay Z caping thread? ? caught feelings cuz of the props Life is Good has been getting and the fact that Jigga been rapping bout the same ? since 96 and all of the sudden content doesn't matter...lmao....
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So this is a Jay Z caping thread? ? caught feelings cuz of the props Life is Good has been getting and the fact that Jigga been rapping bout the same ? since 96 and all of the sudden content doesn't matter...lmao....

duh, ?
    look who made the thread
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Black music can be such a powerful force that it's pity when it goes to waste.

Music can be so much more than something to dance to or background music

because of the content of hip hop it made it's mark

it was a new perspective that was aggressive,honest,and down to earth

We lost that with the fake ? and ? ain't saying ?

if that's what you like you have a right to have bad taste

And I'm far from a nerd ass ? .Just a hip hop ?
  • Nile Gambino
    Nile Gambino Members Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    Options
    not all hiphop should be talking about swag and ? and ballin to me hiphop is a message then it's a religion it's a big source of information to me like the internet provides me with ebooks and articles it's a cultural education so ? swag hop it's cool but not all the time you in da club
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Like I said before. Dudes like Jay-Z and etc might not talk about the negatives and all the ? up ? going on in the world, but he does talk about something people are going to relate to. The ? struggling to feed his kids, riding the city bus to his minimum wage job might not be able to relate to Jay-Z rapping about a new Ferrari, so to him he ain't talking about ? , but the black lawyer or doctor who worked hard to get where he is, who pulls up to his office in his Ferrari damn sure can relate
    Jay has touched on many race and political issues
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    Dance and pop music the only genre where content should nt matter like that......
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    Unless Jay is making dance and pop music?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope. Content is EVERYTHING.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    So are u saying we shouldnt care bout the content of the music of a guy who calls himself the voice of the young people?
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay said i dumbed down to double my dollars obviously he could give a ? about content
  • Nile Gambino
    Nile Gambino Members Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    Options
    99 problems aint got content in it ? yall ? it's one of the best hiphop songs ever
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It doesn't matter to me when I'm casually listening to ? but it's what seperates certain artists imo. For example I've been ? with 2 chainz, ross, juicy j, nas, jon connor, and kendrick are the artists I've been bumpin a lot lately. I bump their ? equally but the music the last 3 make touches me in a different way. I saw jay get brought up, and for one jay has touched on a lot of different subjects. For two, even when jay raps about money he's lyrical and he puts effort into his ? . Content might not matter TO YOU, but an artist with great content is so much more powerful and does so much more FOR ME as a listener....
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    ericb4prez wrote: »
    jay said i dumbed down to double my dollars obviously he could give a ? about content

That didn't mean content, that meant in terms of being the super technical rapper spit fire rapper he was in the beginning of his career. His content from his first album til now has been pretty consistent
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what type of anti-intellectual ? is this?
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    you made this thread cause clearly the next Jay Z album is gonna be about the same thing the last one was?
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Distant Relatives = Content

I've never heard a soul playing that wacc ass album ever and it flopped just like life is wood

Content is only important to nas fans and lames who are impressed by rappas who talk about timbuktu,warriors,stars,sun and the moon

they buy the ? caught up in the hype/cuz a ? wear a kufi it dont mean that he bright
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense (But I did five Mil) I ain't been rhyming like Common since"~~~Moment of Clarity- Jay-Z
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Well if you have such a big problem with it, why did you headline your topic with it?

Its not about content, its about SUBSTANCE. Any artist with a mixtape/s or an album/s has content. Thats what finished songs are, content. That word has nothing to do with what the song is about.

And yes, SUBSTANCE is important, because music is and has always been used for communication and education. Why all of a sudden its cool to have a form a music that talks about absolutely nothing. Literally just pays underprivileged ? to talk ? .

You gotta have a message or you dont got ?
    8822 Members Posts: 142
    Options
    "Yo, the record company didnt promote my ? right!" *whatever*
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Timeless music=Content. Content is for the people. Material music is for self.
  • Garv*
    Garv* Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course content matters, only a tap dancing white pancake ass loving Jayz camelite would disagaree.