edited August 2012 in IllGaming
PlayStation Vita set to sink on the maiden voyage – Video Games Feature

(1) (2)

Posted By:
Gordon Miles
Category:
Fantasy Sports News

PlayStation Vita set to sink on the maiden voyage – Video Games Feature

Sony must be in hot water as it was confirmed yesterday on PSXscene that hackers have successfully managed to ? the PS Vita and dump the authoring keys.

Sony blames homebrew for the demise of the PlayStation Portable (PSP) as the handheld, even though it was technically superior to Nintendo’s DS, could not compete in the market and got smashed in sales. The reason behind this was the lack of games when compared to those available for the DS.

Analysts claimed that many developers jumped ship from PSP to the DS when Sony’s handheld got hacked as it meant that gamers could just download games for free and play them directly from the memory card without having to purchase an original UMD. The PSP hack also lead to many homebrew emulators for the handheld which gave gamers the option to play old school Nintendo, Sega and PlayStation 1 games. The downside of this was that it greatly affected software sales for the product.

A weak attachment rate for the handheld discouraged the developers to develop for the Vita and they started to focus on the Nintendo DS instead. This eventually led to decreasing sales for the handheld because gamers would opt to get a DS instead.

The PSP was no slouch when it came to sales with over 74.6 million units sold since launch, but the number is dwarfed by the Nintendo DS sales as Nintendo’s handheld ranks as the second best selling gaming device in the history of gaming with over 152 million units sold. Sony released many revisions of the PSP in order to combat piracy but unfortunately all the hardware revisions also fell victim to the hacking groups and custom firmwares.

Now it seems that the PlayStation Vita is headed in a similar direction since a user on PSXscene called ‘deroad’ had posted PS Vita Tools 1.06 on the PSXscene website and has also published Vita authoring keys. This means that hackers and homebrew developers have the necessary tools to sign their own code to run on the handheld. The PS Vita will be getting emulators of its own soon enough and there is also a chance that this will enable many hacking scene groups to release a custom firmware for the handheld which will allow gamers to pirate games.

This news must have been a huge blow to Sony as the company was struggling with the handheld since its launch and there were already rumours afloat that developers were considering jumping ship again and move their projects onto the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii-U. The fact that the handheld was cracked so quickly in its life certainly spells danger for Sony unless they fix the security holes with a firmware update as soon as possible.

Gamers are calling this the final nail in the coffin for the Vita and believe that the handheld will not be able to survive if it loses developer support so quickly as the handheld is lacking a decent games library as of right now.

This news has also pleased many fans of homebrew as they believe that they will finally have a use for the device once emulators are up and running. It is believed that the PS Vita could support PlayStation 2 emulation because of its superior hardware as Sony has not added official backwards compatibility in the device because the company probably wants to resell remakes of older games.

Sony has not commented on the hack so far but has stated that it has a lot of games in the pipeline for the Vita and the handheld’s best months are ahead.

DISCLAIMER: The views and the opinions expressed in this article are the writer’s own and do not reflect the editorial policy of bettor.com.

Comments

• MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was a matter of time. There have already been exploits released.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I forgot the vita existed.
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Vita wasn't gonna make it before it got hacked.

? 's flopping harder than a Dipset weed carrier's album.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Which is a damn shame because the tech ? on the other handhelds
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Think i remember reading that hacking drives up hardware sales but software sales goes down by a lot, so with that said this might spur vita sales
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    i might want to cop a vita now just to hack it and ?
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, they certainly don't have to worry about piracy.

It'll be nice if they got a ps2 and ps1 emulator working on there.
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    I think they are just gonna put some ps1 games up on the ps store @boldchild
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wouldnt making it hackable sell more copies though? i thought the psp did better when it eventually got hacked.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Which is a damn shame because the tech ? on the other handhelds

besides nintendo....who else makes handheld games?
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    My point exactly.....
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    wouldnt making it hackable sell more copies though? i thought the psp did better when it eventually got hacked.

The PSP only sold well because of Japanese RPGs and because of how ? easy it was to run emulations on it. Most western developers gave up on it which saw a lack of games, and the lack of games pretty much finished the PSP off. A console isn't going to survive if everyone is buying it but not the actual software.

The Vita hardly has any games as it is and I'm starting to get ? tired of it. If/when the hackers figure out how to pirate the Vita games itself then it'll be time to send the wreaths to Sony.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Not to mention, the Vita is sold at a huge loss and wont be sold at a profit for at least another 2 and half years according to Sony. So selling more hardware while...

a. Having no software anyone wants to make up the difference and...
    b. If and when they do have software, it will be pirated

...doesn't really help matters.

I cant believe Sony didnt invest more in making the Vita harder to hack. The 3DS basically only exist for this reason. But when the PSP Go crashed and burned so hard I guess they had to rush something out to "compete" with Nintendo and Apple.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Karl probably the only person I know who bought a Vita
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

I bought a Vita on the first day. I am now beginning to think that was a stupid decision.

• joshuaboy
    Options

I bought a Vita on the first day. I am now beginning to think that was a stupid decision.

Not buying anything new on the first day. Learnt my lessons with the PS2 and 360
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »

Not buying anything new on the first day. Learnt my lessons with the PS2 and 360

Spent over a thousand dollars on each of them when I first got em SMMFH..... from now on I try to wait at least 3 months before I cop anything new. Imagine paying that type of money for a 360 only to have that ? red ring, a ? be walking around lookin like he got egg on his face.

All the money Microsoft has and you'd think their hardware would be durable NEVER AGAIN LOLOL.

My biggest prob was where I live. We don't have a MS dealer here so I had to ship it back to the US on my own and then shipping the new one here. That's the cost of a new one by UPS. After the 2nd one died within less than 3 months, that was it. The PS2 came dead so I was refunded everything, including shipping, but had to wait a while to get a replacement, while having the two games I bought sitting there.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    I'm the only person I know who bought the vita. Girl in the game store talked to me

I guess theres a first time for everything lol