Options
themadlionsfan
themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in IllGaming

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    Options
    Yeah....I'm just gonna go ahead and make this the official Assassins Creed Thread

Assassin's Creed III Liberation
    Liberation Impresses On The Vita

preview
    by Kyle Hilliard on June 07, 2012 at 03:40 AM 1,035 Views

The first thing to know about Liberation is that it looks and sounds like a full Assassin’s Creed release. If the game had not been announced as a Vita title, I think I would have assumed it was going to be a console release, because it looks fantastic. The game is being built with the same engine as Assassin’s Creed III, and if they’ve scaled anything back graphically to fit the game on the smaller system, they’ve done an excellent job hiding it.

Our demo begins with Assassin’s Creed’s first female protagonist, Aveline, making her way across a series of roofs in New Orleans towards a gathering of Spanish soldiers in the middle of spat with some of the locals. The city is in the middle of an uprising against the Spanish. Spain was given Louisiana by France after the Revolutionary War, which doesn’t sit will with the residents of the state.

After jumping on a soldier from a rooftop, a fight breaks out. Combat looks like the defensive sword fighting seen in previous Assassins titles. The biggest change from the console versions of the game appears to be the new chain ? bar. Ubisoft said that the name of this new combat mechanic may change by the time Liberation releases, but chain ? bar is an apt description. After performing a number of assassinations, you have a charge bar that will fill allowing you to pause the game and physically tap your opponents on screen. After the game resumes, Aveline automatically chains a series of attacks together to ? everyone you tapped. If enemies are far away, Aveline uses her gun. If they are close, she uses her blade. It recalls a similar system that appeared in another Ubisoft game, Splinter Cell: Conviction, that allowed Sam Fisher to take out multiple enemies in quick succession.

After dispatching the enemies, Aveline moves onto a new section; driving a horse-drawn carriage through the streets of New Orleans. Her cargo is a series of explosive barrels. Enemies fire on Aveline setting her cargo on fire, so she has to rush to her destination in hopes that the barrels don’t explode before she can get where she needs to go. She has a specific location where she wants to the barrels to blow up, after all. To speed up the horses, you have to tap the side of the screen. I asked if you have to use the touch screen exclusively to snap the reigns and Ubisoft said that it wants to give players the option to use either the touch screen or the buttons for those kinds of actions, but at the moment, touch screen is the only option. The touch screen was also used to select and equip assorted items in your inventory. Ubisoft said it will likely incorporate the back touch panel in some way, but didn’t have anything to show off in the demo we were seeing.

Our demo ended with a quick romp around the city to see some of the sites. Aveline took a walk through Jackson Square, climbed St. Louis Cathedral, rotated the camera to take in the open city, and did the all too familiar jump into a hay bale below.

Assassin’s Creed III Liberation is coming to the Vita on October 30.

fofochi, Jun 7, 2012

• themadlionsfan
    Options

Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation’s head writer walks me through a demo – 2D-X

Posted on July 31, 2012

At the same Sony event where we sampled PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, I took a look at Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation, the Assassin’s Creed spin-off title for the PS Vita from developer Ubisoft Sofia. And that was all I got, unfortunately: a look. Due to its shaky pre-alpha state, Richard Farrese, the game’s writer, preferred to tell me all about the game as he played through a short demo. I watched and listened.

First, he explained the setting: ”Louisiana, 18th century. The game starts in 1765. The French colony [New Orleans] is being handed over to the Spanish. It’s a really exciting time.”

Then Farrese introduced me to the game’s new main character: “So this is Aveline. She’s our protagonist, the first female assassin … I personally think it was about time for a female hero. When we did research of the time period we found that there were a lot of women that played important roles…. For our game, it was perfect. I think it was the best choice.” We’ll hear a little more about Aveline later.

Farrese went on and started the demo. “This mission takes place during the Louisiana Rebellion in ’68, three years after the Spanish take over. Since the game takes place over 12 years, there’s a lot more going on than what I’m going to show you…. You’re on your way to steal some gunpowder for the Spanish army. You see some citizens who are in trouble and you’re there to help them.”

The French are toast.

As he approached two enemies from a rooftop he did a double air-assassination, a basic Assassin’s Creed move. Afterwards a mob of enemies surrounded him. ”Now I’m going to pause the game. This is a neat little thing called Chain ? . As you play the game and you ? people, your meter goes up. And this basically tells you how many targets you can select when you use this particular ability. It allows you to pause the game, select targets — and here, this guy, there’s a pistol icon” — Farrese tapped a gun-shaped icon above an enemy’s head on the touchscreen — “this mean I’m going to shoot him. So, basically, you let Aveline do all the work for you.”

Basically, the Chain ? is a very similar mechanic to the touchscreen controls of Uncharted: Golden Abyss. In that game you swipe the screen on certain platforms to make Nathan Drake traverse the landscape automatically. It takes the control away from the player and turns the game into a more passive experience. I typically want more control, not less. Farrese later told me that you can’t do Chain Kills using the Vita’s traditional face buttons. You gotta use the touchscreen. Hrmm.

Farrese continued: “The cool thing about that, every time you do a Chain ? , the animation is different. It really feels cinematic. This is pre-alpha stuff, so it lacks polish. You can see glitches between cinematics and gameplay. This [demo] is almost two months old actually.”

“So now you meet your friend. This is one of my favorite characters. His name is Girard. Aveline meets up with an old friend, and an informant for the assassins. He tells you that not only do you have to steal the gunpowder, there’s a group of riders who have been arrested, so you also need to hurry and help them. He’s afraid they’re going to get shot.” From there Farrese continues with the basic Creed free-roaming and climbing. “We’re using the same engine as ACIII. The combat is quite fluid, but also when you navigate this allows us to jump through trees like this, ? a baddie –” as he talked he demonstrated all these moves on the Vita’s bright screen “– Of course anything around the environment, you can pick up. You can use a musket, aim and fire and drop it. It’s everything you’d expect of a real Assassin’s Creed game.”

“If you look at the weapons wheel, you have all these different weapons. They’re all unique to Aveline. She doesn’t use a tomahawk like Connor [in Assassin's Creed III], she has a machete. She has her own unique abilities. With the Vita we have different options.” One of those options is also a flintlock pistol. Aveline even has to reload it after every shot.

Graphics almost rival the PS3 counterpart.

As the demo went on, Aveline ended up commandeering a horse carriage. One that’s set on fire.

“We have to navigate through the street and hurry to the warehouse” — where gunpowder for the mission is held, Farrese explained — “I can navigate using the touchscreen. I can move faster when I tap or I can slow down the pace… I still have to hurry because this is a timed mission. This is not the final quality, but it gives you an idea of the navigation. It’s actually quite fluid.”

Of all the parts of the demo, this one worried me most. Shoehorned vehicle sections normally don’t mesh with the rest of the game and this doesn’t look any different so far. It looked sluggish, and the carriage was comically knocking into the buildings that framed the carriage’s narrow path. I hope they iron this out. Again, this was a pre-alpha build.

The demo then switched to a wine cellar area. Broken bottles leaked a ridiculous amount of alcohol into a knee-deep pool of purple in the middle of the floor. Aveline dispatched a bunch of bad guys and that was the end of the demo. The graphics and combat looked like they’re up to the usual Assassin’s Creed quality.

Farrese went back to the subject of Aveline. “What you need to know about Aveline … She’s a French woman fighting the Spanish, but it’s not — it’s what you see, but it’s really the assassins fighting the Templars.” Of course, Farrese referred to the overarching storyline of the Assassin’s Creed saga.

“Aveline is a child of mixed race. Her father was a French merchant who had a wife, a slave who he liberated and he had a child with. This was sort of an unofficial marriage. It wasn’t a custom but it was something that was quite common at the time. She was born and raised in New Orleans, so she knows that place, she’s an insider, but at the same time she’s sort of an outsider because she doesn’t quite fit in either world. She can’t be an aristocrat because of her African heritage, and she doesn’t fit with the, let’s say, slave population because she’s part-French. It makes her quite interesting.”

And where there’s New Orleans, there’s the bayou. “It’s a completely different feel,” Farrese described. “It’s a swamp. You navigate through trees, there’s alligators and different sorts of challenges there. And a good part of the main story takes place there as well. You go to the bayou at least a few times. We also have a really nice environment in Mexico. You visit there a couple of times. I can’t tell you too much about Mexico, but it’s a nice place. It’s absolutely gorgeous.”

Aveline: half-French fence-hopper.

So, Liberation takes advantage of the Vita using the front touchscreen for Chain ? and navigation of the carriage. The back touch pad, Farrese told me, will be used to pick pocket people. ”You follow a guy and you slide your finger like this,” he demonstrated, rubbing his finger on the back of the Vita. I didn’t get to see any theft in action, but it will be in there.

There will also be a unique multiplayer mode for the Vita, most likely different from the addicting hide-and-seek modes we’ve come to know from Brotherhood and Revelations. It will be a few months until we hear about Liberation‘s multiplayer. I predict some kind of tower defense/strategy mode that would be more fitting to the Vita as a portable platform.

It’s tough to say how well the game’s shaping up without playing it for myself. From what I can tell just by looking, it represents the stealth-action well. Environments and characters are detailed, and the familiar gameplay’s there. As I surmised back at Sony’s E3 conference this is a Vita game worth watching.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    No multiplayer beta

No Assassin's Creed III beta a 'hard decision' - Ubisoft

August 6, 2012 6:45AM PDT

By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Multiplayer game director says building a beta "takes a lot of time", Ubisoft made the "hard decision" to not hold beta so it could add more content.

Ubisoft hosted multiplayer beta periods for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed: Revelations, but no such pre-release trial will be held for this October's Assassin's Creed III. Explaining the decision to XboxGameZone, Ubisoft Annecy multiplayer game director Damien Kieken said that while betas can be helpful, they also take up time that he said would be better spent adding more elements to the game.

Gamers won't get to try Assassin's Creed III before release.

"To be honest, it’s something we want to do every year because we get community feedback that helps us tune the game. It is also a good reward for the community that has followed us from the beginning. But doing a beta takes a lot of time," Kieken said. "We’d need to polish a version, submit it to the platform holders and support it when it’s out. And all the time put into the beta doesn’t go into the final game. Because we wanted to push so many things into the game, we took the hard decision to favor the final game content instead of doing a beta and we believe it will be favorable in the end."

Set during the American Revolution, Assassin's Creed III features a new protagonist with a mixed Native American-English heritage. Named Ratohnhake:ton but going by Connor, the hero of Assassin's Creed III will inject himself into the ongoing struggle between the Templars and the Assassins. The game is being built by Ubisoft Montreal and six collaborating studios on a new engine called Ubisoft-AnvilNext.

Assassin's Creed III will arrive for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC on October 30. A Wii U version is also in development, though its release date remains unknown. For more on Assassin's Creed III, check out GameSpot's latest preview.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just waiting for this cracka to face palm or wipe some cold from his eye.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    government go ? him
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *places order*
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Cool now all he has to do is run up in a Masonry lodge and ? some Templars......
  • sapo614
    sapo614 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can never get into these games because of the controls
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sapo614 wrote: »
    I can never get into these games because of the controls

? simple as ? .
  • sapo614
    sapo614 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^I'm always falling off buildings and not jumping the way I need him too so I say ? the series
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sapo614 wrote: »
    ^^^^I'm always falling off buildings and not jumping the way I need him too so I say ? the series

your equilibrium is all ? up
  • themadlionsfan
    Options

Assassin's Creed 3 Gets An Additional Hour of Game Play on PlayStation 3

August 7, 2012 10:36 AM EDT | By Juan G. Rodriguez

iAssassin's Creed 3 (Photo: Assassin's Creed 3)

A posting on Amazon.UK revealed some minor details about the PlayStation 3 exclusive down loadable content for the upcoming Activision game Assassin's Creed 3. According to box art posted on Amazon UK, The historical action-adventure open world stealth video game will include an additional hour of gameplay on the Play Station 3. Focus u mad?

Ubisoft has yet to unveil what the exclusive game content will be, but had previously announced during E3 that it would offer four missions as downloadable content that will be released to coincide with the launch of Assassin's Creed 3.

Like Us on Facebook :

This is the second time an Assassin's Creed PlayStation 3 version has offered extra content. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood included the Copernicus Conspiracy mission as bonus content for PlayStation 3 gamers.

Assassin's Creed 3 is the fifth major installment of the franchise and is set before, during and after the American Revolution from 1753 to 1783. The game features a new protagonist, Connor Kenway, who is a warrior son of a Native American mother and British father. Boston and New York will be featured cities as well as the American Colonial Frontier, spanning forest, cliffs, and rivers.

The game has a release date of October 30 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. The release date for Wii U is yet to be announced.

Here are some of the game's key features, according to Amazon:

* A NEW MASTER ASSASSIN - As Connor, a Native American Assassin, use your predatory instincts to stalk your enemies and eviscerate them with a new arsenal of weapons including tomahawks, rope darts, firearms, and more.

* IGNITE THE FIRES OF REVOLUTION - From Lexington to Bunker Hill, become America's first highly trained Master Assassin. Bear witness to the real conspiracy behind the American Revolution between the Assassin's Order and the Templar menace alongside historical icons including George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and many more.

* EXPLORE A BRAVE NEW WORLD - Pursue your enemies through massive environments - from bustling city streets to blood-soaked battlefields and into the far reaches of the American frontier.

* STUNNING NEW ENGINE - Introducing Anvil Next, our new engine designed for Assassin's Creed III. Revolutionary physics, animations, and weather systems deliver unprecedented realism, while a new combat system delivers more intense, gut-wrenching battles than ever before.

* INTENSE MULTIPLAYER - The acclaimed multiplayer system returns with a host of refinements, including all-new characters, maps and modes designed to deliver the most compelling Assassins multiplayer experience yet.

Read more at http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/2735/20120807/assassin-s-creed-3-gets-additional-hour.htm#xDpX3hYhyTk5xWhD.99
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    Assassin's Creed liberation gameplay

http://youtu.be/IWTm8x7fvQU