Missy Elliott Says She Had "No Clue" About Aaliyah Album

Options

Comments

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    his obsession with her is a little weird (tattoos and ? ), but dude is obviously a huge fan of her music...why would he turn down someone reaching out to him about doing this project, and what's wrong with him wanting to contribute to her legacy?..y'all acting like he a nobody trying to make a name for himself off this project..

Even though he's a celebrity, in relation to Aaliyah's legacy, he is equivalent to an anonymous fan who has access to Aaliyah's unreleased material. That is the issue here. He didn't know Aaliyah personally and he never worked with her.

It would be one thing if he re-made or sampled (like he's done before) some of her music in tribute to her, but to executive produce a posthumous project like this is another thing entirely.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Who keeps givng Drake the OK to mess with Da Basement's ? . First he sampled a recording of Static and Smokey singing on a Youtube video without any acknowledgement to Playa. Now he's co-executive producing an Aaliyah album that neither Tim nor Missy knew about?

you just going to skip over the bs he did with back that azz up? Still today months after that weakalbum came out ? still wanna know wtf did aubrey turn a ? shaking classic into a soft ass ballad wtf what kind of pink berry for a soul ass ? would do something like that im still angry about the ?

one good thing came out of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6VUH5wYRco&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsearch_query%3Ddrake%2Bpractice
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    G Mack wrote: »
    whose behind the project? and why doesn't her fam own her whole estate

Her Uncle Barry and his son are. You see sadly Aaliyah didn't write a lot of her music so she only has limited publishing rights that her family control. Since all of her music was released on her uncle's label, he owns a lot of the rights. This is where the drama begins, Timbaland and Missy have been trying for years to get a new Aaliyah album out but because of Drama with Barry and Timbaland he has blocked all the songs from being released. Drake came along (He wasn't asked, don't buy that B.S.) and pitched the project with him and 40 overseeing it. Drake is hot right now so Barry felt he would make the most profit from the Drake collobration so he greenlit the project. Missy and Timbaland were to not be included until the fan outrage and now again they back tracking. So when Drake says "He's got the family approval", that's B.S., he's got the approval of Aaliyah's Uncle and Cousin, Not her Mother, Father and Brother.
    Vader wrote: »
    i think a fan did that paintin of her and gave it to him

Ok, if a fan gave him that fine cause I was about to say. Still doesn't change the fact he's pressed to be apart of Aaliyah's Legacy. I mean I could understand Tim and Missy getting tats but Drake?
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    his obsession with her is a little weird (tattoos and ? ), but dude is obviously a huge fan of her music...why would he turn down someone reaching out to him about doing this project, and what's wrong with him wanting to contribute to her legacy?..y'all acting like he a nobody trying to make a name for himself off this project..

It's one thing to sample and pay homage it's another to executive produce her unreleased material when you had nothing to do with her. The fact is Timbaland and Missy, ? I'd even take R. Kelly over Drake and 40 cause those are the people that shaped her sound. Again I don't buy the whole "Reaching out". Drake more than likely contacted the estate to try to get the vocals and then again they worked out a deal. The bottom line is just cause he's obessed doesn't mean he's intitled to do the project. Out of respect he should of reached out to Aaliyah's parents and brother 1st before he even put any vocals down and he didn't. Next he should of reached out to Missy and Tim like Timbaland said 4 months ago and he didn't. He's gone about this whole thing wrong. Again the song isn't terrible but it's not great either.
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Timberland is old news and now 40 is that it ? . Drake and Aaliyah collab is going to change the face of music.

You can't be serious, 40 ain't no where near the level of Timbaland espeically for producing RnB. 40 could only dream of doing beats like "One in a Million, 4 page letter and if your girl only knew", I'm not even going to get into "Are you that someboy or we need a resolution". Timbaland, Missy and Aaliyah made magic, 40 nor Drake will be able to recapure it and if the 1st song is a preview then Tim and Missy need to be on speed dial to save this project. I don't want no gloomy "Depressed about Fame" beats over Aaliyahs legendary voice. I want Classic ish like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQNMYtIBmBE

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really Drake? You that big now huh? FOH
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Timberland is old news and now 40 is that it ? . Drake and Aaliyah collab is going to change the face of music.

You can't be serious, 40 ain't no where near the level of Timbaland espeically for producing RnB. 40 could only dream of doing beats like "One in a Million, 4 page letter and if your girl only knew", I'm not even going to get into "Are you that someboy or we need a resolution". Timbaland, Missy and Aaliyah made magic, 40 nor Drake will be able to recapure it and if the 1st song is a preview then Tim and Missy need to be on speed dial to save this project. I don't want no gloomy "Depressed about Fame" beats over Aaliyahs legendary voice. I want Classic ish like this:

Timberland made alright beats, but 40 made more classics than timberland, I can't even remember one hot song that he did in the last 10 years, but I can name 20 hot songs from 40. A lot of timberland beats were the same and he wasn't adaptable in the climate, he just an old fat ? from the late 90s. And he put out the ? cat dolls or something like with their garbage ? .
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope drake make a wise decision to let Timbo and Missy Guide him throughout the album.We cant have another ? up like Eminem did to Pac's album
  • rapmastermind
    Options

Timberland made alright beats, but 40 made more classics than timberland, I can't even remember one hot song that he did in the last 10 years, but I can name 20 hot songs from 40. A lot of timberland beats were the same and he wasn't adaptable in the climate, he just an old fat ? from the late 90s. And he put out the ? cat dolls or something like with their garbage ? .

40 got more Classics than Timbaland? please tell me your not serious? Timbaland produced CLASSIC albums, how many Classic albums 40 produced? I'll wait. And Timbaland sound evolved yearly, none of his beats sound the same, that's what made him so popular is the fact he kept reinventing himself and getting hotter and hotter. Sure lately he's been on the techno ish but again that was just him reinventing himself. 40 is pretty good but he is not THAT good to be mentioned in the same sentence as Tim. He hasn't put in that type of work and he don't have Classics all throughout his catalog with tons of artist that Tim does. The Fans all online have spoken, shoot look at the comments on the song on youtube. Everyone wants Tim and Missy on this project more than Drake and 40.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    That berenstein bear looking ass ? and that oompa loompa missy elliott need to back up and let the true future of MUSIC show the new kids who aaliyah was and that's Drake and 40. 40 made 2 classics back to back and those are Drake's albums. He has 2 classics in a row.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    #inb4ajacksoncomesoutthecloset
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »
    #inb4ajacksonknocksmeout

Corrected it for you.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    edited August 2012
    Options
    #inb4ajacksonknocksmeout

Corrected it for you.

? ur a Drake Stan, tha Snuggles bear has a better chance of knockin me out than your homotional ass
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    #inb4ajacksonknocksmeout

Corrected it for you.

Sir, your a Drake fan, the Snuggles bear has a better chance of knockin me out than your homotional ass

I'll put you're ass to sleep in one punch dumb ? .
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    Missy finally releases a statment through her publicist:

Aaliyah-Missy-and-Timbaland-e1344606218273.jpg

"Although Missy and Timbaland always strive to keep the memory of their close friend (Aaliyah) alive, we have not been contacted about the project nor are there any plans at this time to participate." Official statement from Missy Elliott's longtime manager, Mona Scott-Young

Like I said from the beginning. Aaliyah Uncle and Cousin got caught in a Lie. They tried to move forward with an Aaliyah Project without Timbaland and Missy. So they cut a side deal with Drake and 40 behind everyone's back. SMH, I'm so happy fans are outraged right now. Aaliyah would NOT like new music of her to cut out people like Timbaland and Missy who she loved very much. This whole project is going to DOA if they don't clean up this mess. I hope Drake learned a lesson by this whole situation. Had he followed the right code of Ethics and reached out to Aaliyah's immediate family and her musical family there would be no DRAMA.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

"Although Missy and Timbaland always strive to keep the memory of their close friend (Aaliyah) alive, we have not been contacted about the project nor are there any plans at this time to participate." Official statement from Missy Elliott's longtime manager, Mona Scott-Young

Like I said from the beginning. Aaliyah Uncle and Cousin got caught in a Lie. They tried to move forward with an Aaliyah Project without Timbaland and Missy. So they cut a side deal with Drake and 40 behind everyone's back. SMH, I'm so happy fans are outraged right now. Aaliyah would NOT like new music of her to cut out people like Timbaland and Missy who she loved very much. This whole project is going to DOA if they don't clean up this mess. I hope Drake learned a lesson by this whole situation. Had he followed the right code of Ethics and reached out to Aaliyah's immediate family and her musical family there would be no DRAMA.

Oh well, but I'm buying the album and supporting Drake and his music. This is gonna be dope and good music. So why did Missy and Timberland are so damn important and yet missing from modern day music, EXACTLY!!!
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Drake prob hates Dame and Rkelly.

Unless Timb & Missy over seeing the production i aint ? with it needs some Ginuwine on there also
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Unless Timb & Missy over seeing the production i aint ? with it needs some Ginuwine on there also

But they are all so old. They are over 40, ugh....
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options

Eventually you will be too you stupid ? .
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Get off my nuts man. It ain't that serious. I love the song and that's that! And I'm excited for this album and nothing changing that!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    SMH, man please go somewhere. I'm done with this thread. You already have my opinion and i'm done.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh well, but I'm buying the album and supporting Drake and his music. This is gonna be dope and good music. So why did Missy and Timberland are so damn important and yet missing from modern day music, EXACTLY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pt0RHz_tno

"With that being said, I also need sonic consistency, so I need that presence in a Timbaland beat or someone's beat," he said. "There's times when I really can't even use someone else's production because as much as I know that joint can be crazy, I want a consistent sound."---- Drake speaking on Take Care with MTV

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1672915/drake-40-take-care-producer.jhtml

• LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options

Get off my nuts man. It ain't that serious. I love the song and that's that! And I'm excited for this album and nothing changing that!

Its funny that you claim someone's on your nuts when you're tha biggest dickrider in this thread, not to mention the most emotional. I seriously hope your stupidity is due to you being a 90s baby; if you were born in the 80s or anytime prior please plank off a cliff
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This totally reminds me of the whole Eminem doing the 2pac album. Drake producing the Aaliyah album and lying about who's involved, will ? her fans off, to the point where they won't buy the album.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Its funny that you claim someone's on your nuts when you're tha biggest dickrider in this thread, not to mention the most emotional. I seriously hope your stupidity is due to you being a 90s baby; if you were born in the 80s or anytime prior please plank off a cliff

? !!! I'm 28 and I'm doing damn good for myself. If I like Drake that's my DAMN Business!!! I don't complain when you love listening to tupac, biggie, rakim or any of those ? . I hated rap when they were involved. Drake and few other rappers are all I listen to in this genre. You can keep this ? garbage, don't sell no more, nobody wants it but ? .