Capcom Announces 'Remember Me' (Trailer & Gameplay)

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in IllGaming
Capcom Announces Remember Me
New science-fiction thriller from Paris studio Dontnod Entertainment announced at Gamescom.
by Keza MacDonald AUGUST 14, 2012

Capcom has used its Gamescom press conference to announce Remember Me, a brand new game from Paris studio Dontnod Entertainment.

The game is set in 2084 in a futuristic Paris. It's a science-fiction thriller, wherein people can remix and erase memories with weapons that look a bit like brain-tasers, even giving one person another's memories. The game's heroine seems to be a former agent who has had her own memory erased, and is now being hunted down without knowing why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpN_X_J-R54

The creative director took to the stage to explain the concept behind the game: the flexibility, subjectivity and personal nature of memory, which he illustrated by telling us a very sweet story about how he got together with his girlfriend. In Remember Me's future, everybody has brain implants that makes it possible to delete, trade or exchange their own memories, controlled by a corporation called Memoreyes. A group of underground activists, the Errorists, is fighting against this control.

Nilin, the game's heroine, is one of them. She begins the game in the Bastille prison, having lost her identity. She is a memory-hunter who can break into people's minds. Visually, it's got a bit of a Mirror's Edge feel to it.

We were shown a gameplay demo that showed off bright, futuristic Neo-Paris in the rain that had just a touch of Deus Ex to it. British-accented Nilin approaches the Memoreyes building and attempts to break in, before being chased down over rooftops by bullet-spewing futuristic police helicopter. As she leaps between fast-disintegrating drainpipes to get across buildings, it starts to resemble Uncharted in its platforming mechanics, showing her scrambling desperately through alleyways and into the safety of a nearby building before beating up a couple of guards and evidently scrambling their heads with a device attached to her arm.

In combat, she’s got a selection of abilities that mess with the heads of enemies, stunning them or literally blowing their minds. Outside, the chase resumes, as she hides behind old-style Paris chimney stacks whilst the helicopter scans the rooftops with its searchlight. She then leaps aboard the vehicle and steals the memory of its pilot, sending it crashing through the city as bullets fly everywhere.

The next section of gameplay we were shown was rather less action-packed. In the midst of the rainy city, Nilin blends into the crowd, hunting down a member of the Memoreyes forces with the intention of remixing his memories so that he might ? himself. It looks like she can free-run around the city, using a kind of detective mode view to pick out threats – like a pair of Memoreyes guards, whom she hides from by climbing above them.

She hangs onto a wall and looks into the window of her target, listening in to a phone conversation with his ex-wife before diving into his mind with the arm device to have a look at his memory of the messy, sweary breakup. She then takes control of the memory, making him falsely remember that he killed her. The memory is shown as a kind of diorama, where you get to rewind and change things at will; here Nilin makes Frank, the target, take the safety off the gun and knock over a bottle so that he trips up, grabs the gun, and kills his wife – in his memory, at least.

Pulling back out to the real world, Frank now believes that he has shot his wife – and blows his own head off in his office, before his wife finds him dead.

For now, we know Remember Me is being developed for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC platforms and is scheduled to launch in May 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQ1oV-jhHc

Comments