Can Jeter pass Pete Rose in most career hits?

Options
f.e.d.s.
f.e.d.s. Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Watching First Take and they made me think. He's 1,000 hits away, leading the league in hits, 33 hits away from 200 hits this yr. I think if the Yanks move him to DH in the future then he might have a shot.

Comments

• dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that at least 5-7 more years of playing at a high level without any major injuries..and jeter would never stick around to be a dh..a-rod going to have that spot locked until his contract runs out
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    ? no , 1,000 hits away he'd still have to be balling at a high level for the next 5-7 years , also by that time being a full time DH on that team is going to be very hard and i dont see Jeter changing teams just to do so ...he wants to finish a Yankee

they broke it down on ESPN

"Jeter has averaged 1.278 hits per game during his career. At that pace, he’ll need to play in 783 more games to collect the 1,000 hits he needs to catch Rose. Based on his career pace, if he plays every single Yankees game between now and the time he got his 1,000th hit, he’d catch Rose in the Yankees' 95th game of the 2017 season.

Jeter will turn 43 on June 26, 2017.

A more realistic approach -- given age and usual decline in productivity late in a player's career -- is as follows. Since the 2008 season began, Jeter has played in 712 of the Yankees' 771 games. This means he has played in 92.3 percent of Yankees games over that time. Since he’s likely to take more games off as he gets older, let’s round it down to 90 percent for the purposes of this exercise.

Despite his success this season, let’s also assume a reduction in productivity at the plate. Conservatively speaking, a 20 percent reduction in hits per game would put him at 1.022 hits per game (this decline would be very drastic, but I’m using it to represent the far end of the spectrum).

At that pace, Jeter will need to play in 979 more games to collect the 1,000 hits he needs to catch Rose.

And if he’s only playing 90 percent of games over the rest of his career, he’ll need to be around for another 1,087 games on the Yankees' schedule.

Based on the projections of a 20 percent reduction in hits per game from his career pace AND the projection that he’ll play only 90 percent of team games for the rest of his career, Jeter would get his 1,000st hit in the Yankees' 75th game of the 2019 season."
  • f.e.d.s.
    Options
    ? no , 1,000 hits away he'd still have to be balling at a high level for the next 5 years

He's been balling at a high level since '95 with only 2 real stints on the disabled list, and he's been killing since he got to 3,000. If they move him to DH, that would lessen the chances of him getting hurt. @dc...they Yanks are more likely to drop A-Rod b4 they would drop Jeter, plus A-Rod's steroid use won't allow him to be consistently healthy

• KeepOnPushing
    Options
    f.e.d.s. wrote: »
    ? no , 1,000 hits away he'd still have to be balling at a high level for the next 5 years

He's been balling at a high level since '95 with only 2 real stints on the disabled list, and he's been killing since he got to 3,000. If they move him to DH, that would lessen the chances of him getting hurt. @dc...they Yanks are more likely to drop A-Rod b4 they would drop Jeter, plus A-Rod's steroid use won't allow him to be consistently healthy

Mother nature is undefeated bruh

and Yankees constantly bring in hitters/Big time players ...Jeter would never be a long term answer for the DH role , especially at the age of 40+
  • f.e.d.s.
    edited August 2012
    Options
    @KeepOnPushing

He could still be productive tho. Look at how Paul Molitor played til he was 42 and still lead the league with hits at at 40 (225 in '96). Itz possible. You don't have to necessarily be a power hitter to be a DH as long as you produce. Molitor had 9 HR's and 113 RBI as a 40 yr. old
  • KeepOnPushing
    Options
    Still saying no , i agree u dont have to be a Power hitter but i just dont see Jeter being no Full time DH when he's 40 and on ...

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its gonna be struggle for him to get to 4,000. and he's gonna need around 200 hits/season to keep pace. so he's going to need to do that until he's 43 at best. I don't see it. but I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around until he was 45 years old trying to chase it. but that will take alot of luck. alot of those guys like Carl Yastremavzyvaezenzki, Hank, and Even Rose played into their 40s. But their productivity declined significantly during those years. In order for Jeter to get it, he will literally have to be one of the best hitters in the game. every year. until he's roughly 45 years old.
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its a shame Ichiro didnt play his entire career in MLB.. i think he would have had a legitimate shot in breaking pete rose's record
  • f.e.d.s.
    Options
    I think the chances of him doing it are slim, but more likely if they switch him to DH
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No way Jeter is going to play in his mid-40s. For what?

There's no way he gets 1000 more, and the ? is the difference between being 3rd or 4th.

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    by the time his current contract is up next yr he'll prob be about 800 hits away.
    if he resign for that optional 4yr in his contract he'll prob get it to about 600 and change which is a long way from that record

unless he plays to his early - mid 40's he wont get it.
  • KeepOnPushing
    Options
    dbrazil412 wrote: »
    its a shame Ichiro didnt play his entire career in MLB.. i think he would have had a legitimate shot in breaking pete rose's record

i agree with ya i've always said this as well ...

• PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even watch baseball, but I hope he gets it.

Jeter been in the league for a minute since I was young buck
  • dalyricalbandit
    Options
    if son gets anywhere within 500 hit u best believe the yanks are giving jeter a contract them ? would love a alltime yank to hold that record
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    C/S @lyrical. That's why I believe they'll keep A-Rod around. That's why I think they gave him that $275M/10 yrs in the 1st place. Barring s string of major injuries he'll eventually get that #1 spot on the HR's list. Well I thought this before he admitted steroid use anyway.
  • dalyricalbandit
    Options
    thats what im saying them yankees dont give a ? about wasting paper if they know they getting these record books
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    f.e.d.s. wrote: »

Mother nature is undefeated bruh

and Yankees constantly bring in hitters/Big time players ...Jeter would never be a long term answer for the DH role , especially at the age of 40+

Father Time is undefeated

Mother nature is the tropical depressions,tornadoes and hurricanes etc

And pete rose's hits record will never be broken

• KeepOnPushing
    Options
    ROFL i dunno y i said mother nature

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i won't even lie tho. Jeter really has the greatest life of probably any athlete in the game. he's got it all. money power respect whatchu need in life. the women. no family to answer to. his on the field accomplishments speak for themselves. and i respect that. but if he can still have all that AND be ballin as a 40 something year old AND break one of the most unbreakable records in the game, then yes feelings will be caught. by me.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? not passing Pete rose at all
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he can. his defense is still good and he having a great year hitting... keep him at shortstop and ride it out. He deserves that much and will generate big revenue like Bonds did when he chased his record.
  • KeepOnPushing
    Options
    Damn Skip Bayless accusing this man of PED's use pretty much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF8nmMy-0fY
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Skip Bayless accusing this man of PED's use pretty much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF8nmMy-0fY

i seen that.. and i didnt take it that way. more like nowadays you cant believe anything. stephen a. argued that there hasnt been any increase in jeter's power numbers, so he couldnt be using..however, people (andy pettite for one), was saying he used HGH, to heal from injuries quicker.. so it is possible (though highly doubtful that jeter would), that someone could use HGH, just to stay in good health for the time being.