Bartolo Colon suspended 50 games for testosterone

Options
f.e.d.s.
f.e.d.s. Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
From mlb. com

A's pitcher Bartolo Colon was suspended for 50 games Wednesday after testing positive for testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance in violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

The suspension, which will be without pay, is effective immediately. It was the second time in a week that a prominent Major Leaguer was suspended for testosterone usage, following the banning of Giants All-Star left fielder Melky Cabrera for using the same substance.

"I apologize to the fans, to my teammates and to the Oakland A's," Colon said in a statement issued by the MLB Players Association. "I accept responsibility for my actions and I will serve my suspension as required by the Joint Drug Program."

The 39-year-old right-hander was 10-9 with a 3.43 ERA in 24 starts and was 4-1 with a 1.57 ERA in his past five outings. He leads the A's in wins, innings pitched and starts.

Oakland, 66-46, has 40 regular-season games remaining on its schedule, including Wednesday afternoon's game against Minnesota. Barring rainouts, Colon will miss those 40 games and the first 10 games of the postseason if the A's advance that far. If they don't, the remainder of the suspension would be served whenever Colon, eligible for free agency, signs another Major League contract.

"The Oakland Athletics are disappointed to learn of today's suspension of pitcher Bartolo Colon," the team said in a statement. "The organization fully supports Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program and its efforts to eliminate performance-enhancing substances from our game. Per the Basic Agreement, the A's will have no further comment."

Oakland entered Wednesday's action a half-game behind Baltimore for the second Wild Card spot in the American League. Colon had been scheduled to pitch Thursday at Tampa Bay.

"It's a shock," A's reliever Grant Balfour said, according to The Associated Press. "He's a guy that we're definitely relying on right now. I guess you could say it's bad timing any time, but especially now."

Colon, the American League Cy Young Award winner in 2005 when he went 21-8 for the Angels, was in his second year after missing the 2010 season due to injury. He spent last season with the Yankees, going 8-10 with a 4.00 ERA.

The A's signed him as a free agent in January.

Five Major Leaguers have been suspended this year for positive tests in violation of the drug program. In addition to Cabera, Giants reliever Guillermo Mota was suspended for 100 games in May following his second career positive, and Phillies infielder Freddy Galvis and free-agent outfielder Marlon Byrd (most recently with the Red Sox) were each suspended 50 games in June.

Conte wasn't lying. Players are still using these PED's more than people think

Comments