Jdub87
Jdub87 Members Posts: 497
edited August 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Jones is scheduled to face machida for the title at ufc 152

Comments

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't Machida get choked out already. They should have just had him face Sonnen at 152
  • Jdub87
    Options
    UFC 151 has been canceled after an injury to light heavyweight contender Dan Henderson forced him to pull out of the main event against champion Jon Jones.

More From ESPN.com A quiet disaster played out behind the scenes of UFC 151's unprecedented disappearance, where there's room to spread some blame beyond that of light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, writes Chuck Mindenhall. Blog

The card was scheduled for Sept. 1 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. UFC president Dana White made the announcement Thursday during a media call, scrapping a major card for the first time in his 11 years in charge of mixed martial arts' dominant promotion.

Middleweight contender Chael Sonnen accepted an offer to face Jones, but the champion refused to fight him on eight days' notice.

"This is probably one of my all-time lows as being president of UFC," White said Thursday.

"Dan Henderson has a partial tear in his MCL and couldn't continue. He tried to train, he continued to work out and saw a doctor, but there was nothing we could do to save that fight.

"Chael Sonnen accepted the fight with Jon Jones, so as of 8 o'clock last night we had a fight. But the one thing I thought wouldn't happen, happened. Jon Jones said, 'I'm not fighting Chael Sonnen with eight days' notice."

Sonnen called out Jones for not fighting him.

"I just don't know why he won't fight me next Saturday," Sonnen said in an interview on "SportsCenter." "I mean, what else does he have to do? Maybe a wine tasting at a local race track or something I haven't heard about."

Jones is now scheduled to defend his title Sept. 22 against Lyoto Machida in Toronto. That card will remain UFC 152, and UFC 151 simply won't happen.

Topics: UFC 152 ESPN Topics brings you full coverage of UFC 152: Jones vs. Machida II, which will be held Sept. 22 in Toronto. Get ready for this light heavyweight title showdown with news, video, podcasts and more. Topics page »

Jones said recently that he did not want to fight Machida in a rematch because of low pay-per-view numbers the two generated Dec. 10 in Toronto. In that UFC 140 bout, Jones won by submission in the second round.

"I don't want to fight Lyoto Machida," Jones said. "He was my lowest pay-per-view draw of last year. No one wants to see me fight Lyoto Machida. I don't want to fight Lyoto again. Lyoto is high-risk and low-reward."

Naming Machida as the next opponent for Jones hasn't put UFC's current problem to rest. As of 3:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, Machida had not been informed that he was being added to the Sept. 22 card.

And Machida's manager, Ed Soares, told ESPN.com that he can't say for certain his fighter will accept the bout on short notice.

"Lyoto doesn't even know about (the title shot) yet," Soares said. "He's on the road to his family's farm (in Brazil), and I haven't been able to reach him all morning. I spoke to his brother, and (Lyoto is) on the highway and he has no cellphone reception.

"I'm excited about the title shot, but will be more excited when I have an answer from Lyoto. I have to speak to Lyoto first. It's a weird situation. I've never been in this situation before, just like the UFC has never been in this situation before. It's crazy.

"(The fight is) three weeks away, four weeks away. I still have to clear this with Lyoto."
  • Jdub87
    Options
    Didnt sonnen just get his ass beat by silva
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody mad at Bones but they shouldn't be
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    they should have had a better undercard
  • Jdub87
    Options
    Los216 wrote: »
    Everybody mad at Bones but they shouldn't be

Ikr if anything dey should be mad at the ufc
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya, I don't see a problem with what Jones is doin. Why's the UFC tryna give Sonnen this Brock Lesnar treatment. How do you lose in one weight class, then your next fight is a title shot in a whole new weight class? Stop tryin so hard to get this man a belt.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jdub87
    Options
    Ya, I don't see a problem with what Jones is doin. Why's the UFC tryna give Sonnen this Brock Lesnar treatment. How do you lose in one weight class, then your next fight is a title shot in a whole new weight class? Stop tryin so hard to get this man a belt.

Cosign
  • MR.CJ
    Options
    ultimately the blame lies on Dana.

Dana killed this card.

how the hell one fight make a damn card?

yep they usualy have a bunch of great fights
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol. I read the ticker on ESPN where it said Dana White is disgusted about Jones turning down the fight. ? you ? , you not disappointed when you counting all that money.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dana disses the boxing business Model, only the main event matters. But, the UFC is slowly doing the same thing.
  • MR.CJ
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    Dana disses the boxing business Model, only the main event matters. But, the UFC is slowly doing the same thing.

exactly

he always talking about stacking the card
  • Jdub87
    Options
    Jon jones vs vitor belfort is the new main event for ufc 152
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jdub87 wrote: »
    Jon jones vs vitor belfort is the new main event for ufc 152

Belfort wasnt too bad in the fights i seen him in

does not seem like a number 1 contender though..
  • Jdub87
    Options
    I ? Is why is the ufc throwing middleweights to jones??
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It sucks for the dudes that need that money just missed out on 10 grand at least
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    smh @ alan belcher getting screwed again. WOW @ Dana's tirade against jones and jackson. smh @ the rat in the room too. we see what you did there chael, it almost worked.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    exactly my sentiment in the MMA thread

Dana White trying to deflect his poor promotion strategy on Jones

looking like scorn ass Dan Gilbert trying to ? on Lebron for rolling out haha
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ? !!! Jones is a ? . Got no respect for him anymore as a fighter or champion. I'd rather watch him fight Chael "I know I'll lose but I'll sell a shitload of tickets" Sonnen than Vitor"My face smells like feet" Belfort. Jones is officially the Mayweather of MMA....? ducker.
  • Jdub87
    Options
    ? ? !!! Jones is a ? . Got no respect for him anymore as a fighter or champion. I'd rather watch him fight Chael "I know I'll lose but I'll sell a shitload of tickets" Sonnen than Vitor"My face smells like feet" Belfort. Jones is officially the Mayweather of MMA....? ducker.

All this hate cause jones didnt defend his title against a man coming off a tko lost to the middleweight champ smh
  • MR.CJ
    Options

All this hate cause jones didnt defend his title against a man coming off a tko lost to the middleweight champ smh

when is the last time sonnen fought at lhw?
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, because he doesn`t have the heart of a true champion. He single handedly caused the cancellation of an entire PPV showing no respect to the other fighters who trained real hard to get paid a fraction of what he make. And he cancelled to fight who? Another ? who aint gonna do that much more than what Sonnen would've done. What makes him look even worse is the fact that Spider offered to fight on 8 days notice....This shows that Jones does not respect UFC and he does not respect his fellow fighters.

So to you @Jdub87 I SMH for not understanding that this is more than just who he's fighting.
  • MR.CJ
    Options

No, because he doesn`t have the heart of a true champion. He single handedly caused the cancellation of an entire PPV showing no respect to the other fighters who trained real hard to get paid a fraction of what he make. And he cancelled to fight who? Another ? who aint gonna do that much more than what Sonnen would've done. What makes him look even worse is the fact that Spider offered to fight on 8 days notice....This shows that Jones does not respect UFC and he does not respect his fellow fighters.

So to you @Jdub87 I SMH for not understanding that this is more than just who he's fighting.

dana white cancel the fight. not jones.

• MR.CJ
    Options