"I learned 90% of my game from MJ" -Kobe Bryant

Options

Comments

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    blu197 wrote: »
    Kobe mimics a lot of people's games though...that's how he's survived. He's been utilizing the Dirk shot lately too.

Cosign I've seen games where Kobe was doin sky hooks and ? , he is the ultimate copycat player, if Jordan never played in the nba then I think he would've copied magics game and him and shaq would've been magic and kareem but 2x better

Yeah I don't see what the big deal is about the "copying" to be honest...he still has to be able to efficiently do these things...I'm pretty sure not everybody can just look at some Jordan film and go do it against some of the best athletes in the world.

Right,they acting like its a negative thing.If LeBron had done the same thing then he could already be a 3 time world champion.

I won't say all that because he would likely still have the same mentality and that's the only thing that has held him back for so long. But to say an athlete hasn't learned from and mimic'd others before him is just crazy. Especially if we are factoring in things like workout routines and what not...you think Lebron has never had some one on one training with a late great player? c'mon son.

You right and Jordan copied Dr Jay anyway.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    matt- wrote: »
    who better to mimic?

but i do remember another video where kobe said he didn't watch as much jordan growing up, he said he focused more on, i want to say Dr J, but i could be wrong. it may have been a different player. but either way, everyone called ducktales

He said Oscar Robertson ...but i still got the tape where he said he used to watch MJ faithfully

yeah that was it. i don't doubt that he at one time said he watched one more than the other. but thats kobe, he's got different personalities and different answers for different situations. its cool. thats not me hating. thats why people called ducktales on the oscar robertson thing. EVERYBODY knows he's obsessed with jordan. and thats not a bad thing.

It was one of those post sportcenter interviews if i remember correctly where he stated that ? bout the Big O, he also mentioned Jerry West.....if i recollect Kobe said the Big O had a big ? nh.....

thats the one thing that stood out to you from the interview??? we got to do better people, smh i am disappoint

Yea u ? ass ? hearing a professional athlete state that his idol has a big ? is something that stays w u nh
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kobe said a few years ago himself nothing about his game is original, he studied and copied other players moves. I'm sure allot of other Nba players do the same but still can't compete with what Kobe's done
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who better to mimic?

but i do remember another video where kobe said he didn't watch as much jordan growing up, he said he focused more on, i want to say Dr J, but i could be wrong. it may have been a different player. but either way, everyone called ducktales

He said Oscar Robertson ...but i still got the tape where he said he used to watch MJ faithfully

yeah that was it. i don't doubt that he at one time said he watched one more than the other. but thats kobe, he's got different personalities and different answers for different situations. its cool. thats not me hating. thats why people called ducktales on the oscar robertson thing. EVERYBODY knows he's obsessed with jordan. and thats not a bad thing.

It was one of those post sportcenter interviews if i remember correctly where he stated that ? bout the Big O, he also mentioned Jerry West.....if i recollect Kobe said the Big O had a big ? nh.....

ec1eb556_Skinnerfacepalm.png

• DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol that ? Elzo is ? , no wonder he got 69 in his name
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I swore Kobe said he wanted to be like Mike D'Antoni because when his pops played in Italy at the time, Mike D'Antoni was THEE ? during that period. So Kobe wanted to patent his game after D'Antoni.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Never understood why kobe groupies hate Jordan yet they love the player that spent his whole career emulating mike
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    I swore Kobe said he wanted to be like Mike D'Antoni because when his pops played in Italy at the time, Mike D'Antoni was THEE ? during that period. So Kobe wanted to patent his game after D'Antoni.

Yea he said that. He was his favorite player in italy and was playing ball against older dudes when he was a pre teen
  • Inglewood_B
    Options
    Never understood why kobe groupies hate Jordan yet they love the player that spent his whole career emulating mike

1991 nba finals

• Inglewood_B
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »

nah he said that was his reasoning for choosing #8. im pretty sure d'antoni and jordan/kobe's game are nothing alike

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    even the defeneders were reacting the same way in alot of those clips
  • Matt-
    Options
    Mumo_X wrote: »

Jus like Hov fans hate big and Nas cuz Jigga studied those two masters

jay z fans don't hate Biggie.
  • Inglewood_B
    Options

where's the 'idiot' button, when you need one?
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even know why they let Mumo come back?
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's a bad thing to pattern your game after great players?
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options

i agree. i said the same thing (just differently) on the first page. it's about positioning and motion which causes these "replays" between offensive and defensive players. Chalk that up to the Triangle Offense allowing Kobe to do the same thing Jordan did, and to put defenders in those situations.

that dunk at the end was the icing, ? was exactly the same as Jordan's.
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We were just having this discussion this AM @ my job. MJ is the GOAT & too accomplished for Kobe to catch this late in his career, but from a skill standpoint he's equal at the very least.

S this question was asked: In a game of 1-on-1 in their physical/athletic prime (25-28), who u riding w/...and u gotta bet every dime to ur name on 1 of em LOL
  • Matt-
    Options
    well there you have it.

he just did what everyone else who plays basketball growing up does. He just did it a little better
    PHOENIX -- Kobe Bryant is ready to come clean. As the Los Angeles Lakers prepared to defend their NBA championship against the Boston Celtics, their gifted leader confessed he has plagiarized almost everything in his patented basketball portfolio.

"I seriously have stolen all my moves from the greatest players," he admitted.
  • P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they both copied it from jerry west...just added a little more athleticism to it......u know people played basketball before mj right? smh
  • P swayze166
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Kobe mimics a lot of people's games though...that's how he's survived. He's been utilizing the Dirk shot lately too.

but kobe's dirk shot is a "little sexier" he says LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apq5y1v7xIk

http://youtu.be/Apq5y1v7xIk

• Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they both copied it from jerry west...just added a little more athleticism to it......u know people played basketball before mj right? smh

Post some footage of jerry west posting up players,shooting fadeaways,using the same footwork and moves

• P swayze166
    Options

Post some footage of jerry west posting up players,shooting fadeaways,using the same footwork and moves

........dig up old vcr tapes and find a way to upload that just to prove it to you? lmao...ya I'll get right on that....do some research little guy, you'll find it.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

jay z fans don't can't hate Biggie.

fixed...
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was like looking at mirror images.