GnS: Would you work as a 'Stay at Home Parent'?

Options
LPast
LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
Would you stay at home and watch children, make meals, clean house, and run errands while your spouse went to work full time?

Would you mind your spouse doing so? Could you afford to do so?

Comments

• Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no ? is boring
  • Britt_J
    Britt_J Members Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did it for 2 years after my son was born...never again. I got cabin fever sitting in the house all day.
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does this mean the other spouse is relieved of parenting duties if they're the only one working? Otherwise no, Stay at home parents are overrated.
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How about "stay at school kids"?
  • HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah i couldnt stay stuck in the house
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hell no. I'm not trying to raise my kid having them watch me fold laundry and mop a ? house all damn day. i dont think that is beneficial for the children to see a man in that role all day everyday. they need to see me out there getting money and being a provider, so when they grow up they can do the same. Selfishly, yeah i'd love to not have a job but still live the luxurious lifestyle that i live right now, but it just doesn't set a good example for my seeds.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    given the right situation, i could do it...
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Currently doing this, it sucks horribly.
  • LPast
    Options
    Covet wrote: »
    yes i would do this. it's the dream.

I can respect this. A lot of women wouldn't like to do this in 2012.

To people with children, it can work out in there benefit having a parent always at home.
  • LPast
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    hell no. I'm not trying to raise my kid having them watch me fold laundry and mop a ? house all damn day. i dont think that is beneficial for the children to see a man in that role all day everyday. they need to see me out there getting money and being a provider, so when they grow up they can do the same. Selfishly, yeah i'd love to not have a job but still live the luxurious lifestyle that i live right now, but it just doesn't set a good example for my seeds.

So it would be hurtful to see Mom as the provider and not Dad?
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    matt- wrote: »

So it would be hurtful to see Mom as the provider and not Dad?

i think its best that they view the man as the provider and the mother as more of the caretaker.

i'm not saying this in any negative way, but i do believe in gender roles within the home. Both parents should have roles to play, and neither of those roles are bad. And i believe that the role of the father should be one where he goes to work. makes the money. now that's not always possible. sometimes both parents have to work. sometimes fathers are out of work, sometimes its just a single mother around to work. I get all that. But what i'm saying is that if there is a situation where only 1 parents is working and making enough money to support the family, it would be ideal that it be the father.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell no

But ? bless those who can
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It just depends.

As is? Hellllll no.

If I somehow became rich, then yeah.

I couldn't just sit at the house all day though, I need some type of identity of my own.
  • LPast
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Currently doing this, it sucks horribly.

By choice?
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It just depends.

As is? Hellllll no.

I couldn't just sit at the house all day though, I need some type of identity of my own.

lol ya'll ? me....what the ? is identity??

you just said if you were rich......so u got money, dont have anywhere to be or anybody's time to be on, and you still need an "identity of your own"......whats wrong wit "rich, care-free ? "?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kat
    Options
    HAF BAYKED wrote: »
    It just depends.

As is? Hellllll no.

you just said if you were rich......so u got money, dont have anywhere to be or anybody's time to be on, and you still need an "identity of your own"......whats wrong wit "rich, care-free ? "?

You said yourself you couldn't do it.

I've had friends that were/are stay-at-home moms. They sit at home all day and kids and cleaning and cooking are their entire identity. It's like the only things that would miss them if they disappeared would be the kids, kitchen, and the broom.

If I were rich, we could be on the go. She could be in different activities, I could be involved in different activities, it would just be different.

I don't knock those that are cut out for it, but it's just not me.

Maybe I'd feel differently if she were in school all day, but even sitting home alone would be boring as hell.

• LPast
    Options
    Do you all think your current jobs give you direction in life? Does it give you purpose?

You really believe there would be nothing else to do?

• HafBayked
    Options
    HAF BAYKED wrote: »
    It just depends.

As is? Hellllll no.

You said yourself you couldn't do it.

I've had friends that were/are stay-at-home moms. They sit at home all day and kids and cleaning and cooking are their entire identity. It's like the only things that would miss them if they disappeared would be the kids, kitchen, and the broom.

If I were rich, we could be on the go. She could be in different activities, I could be involved in different activities, it would just be different.

I don't knock those that are cut out for it, but it's just not me.

Maybe I'd feel differently if she were in school all day, but even sitting home alone would be boring as hell.

the only reason i wouldnt be able to do it is b/c im too used to being the provider....i wouldnt be able to sleep if i wasnt managing the money....

ok, i thought u were saying u would still need an identity, even if u were a rich stay at home mom.....but i feel you on the gettin out part....not all of them just sit in the house, thats just when u got babies....but the older kids gone have you in all type of ? ....

and when they're in school? thats gravy.....i'd pay for 8 hrs at the crib by myself right now....
  • Kat
    Options
    Hmm let's see.

If I stopped working, we would have to cut back on frivolous spending because we would then be a one income home. Meaning running around spending money on gas and extracurricular activities would be out of the question.

And yes, getting up and going to work and bringing home a check does give me a sense of purpose. It helps me feel like I'm contributing and providing for my child. No my job isn't that important but it's more about the mental.

I sat home the whole first year my daughter was born, and while I'm grateful I had that opportunity I felt worthless.

That's just my personality.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    I actually didn't work till he was almost 3. Loved it... we did all kinds of things daily. Never felt board at all.

My kid is older now so it wouldn't be a great as it was when he was a baby .... but yes I would still do it
  • HafBayked
    Options
    it really all just depends on the person i see...
  • LPast
    Options
    It makes me wonder what people would do if they didn't have to work.

That's cool southern... Your kid probably benefited a lot from you being there.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao @ parenting being considered a job now. i know the first few years are tough but after that the housewife schedule is probably like...

7:45 am: prepare lunchables
    8 am: send little ? to school
    9 am: ? ; go back to sleep
    10 am: eat some bon-bons and watch maury
    11am: springer
    12 pm: look at weird ? on youtube
    1 pm: sammich and ?
    2 pm: naptime!
    3:30 pm: pick up kids. tell them to go outside and play.
    4 pm: do some laundry; read 50 shades of grey and ? again.
    5 pm: put laundry in dryer so house smells fresh when husband comes home.
    10 pm: refuse to have sex... say you're exhausted from all the hard work.