Is a victim ever to blame? - spin off

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
When thinking about making oneself vulnerable to something I can not shake this idea that some personal responsibility must be had. To roam the planet with no caution and allow oneself to be vulnerable to all threats that exist is just stupid. But is a victim ever to blame, at all, even partially?

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The victim is always to blame.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    The victim is always to blame.

What makes you say this?
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    Options
    So you consider any amount of carelessness excusable and justifiable?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Too general, need a specific case.

Rihanna might've been to blame for getting ? up if she started it (I don't know), people still call her a victim ?
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get locked up and allow yourself to be ? ..see if your stance changes..
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    So you consider any amount of carelessness excusable and justifiable?

Of course not but in the end the victim isn't to blame the Perpetrator is because they commited the act and could have chosen not to follow through.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    Ted Bundy wrote: »
    Get locked up and allow yourself to be ? ..see if your stance changes..

Shouldn't have spent extra time to wash the soap behind your ears.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Covet wrote: »
    haha well in their head the victim always feels like they're to blame. Like why did I get in the car with that ? ?

but when you think back like a month later you realize you had no reason not to trust the dude.

i feel like theres a story here
  • LUClEN
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »
    Too general, need a specific case.

Rihanna might've been to blame for getting ? up if she started (I don't know), people still call her a victim ?

In the thread this thread is a spin off of, posters on this forum (some who believe ? is unpreventable *facepalm*) say that blaming the victim is wrong. In most instances I agree. But if I were careless with some belongings of mine, say, I own a car without locks. If a theft occurs I would not feel sorry for myself for owning a vehicle that is so vulnerable to being violated. In the same sense, if someone behaves carelessly, at what point do they start to take blame?

If a ? victim has been ? 3 times the exact same way and did nothing differently each time to try and prevent it or curb the pattern do they still garner your sympathy? Would you say they hold no blame?
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Everyone that is about to get trampled will be a victim but they will be at fault also for being there. Even the Eli Manning looking guy thats sitting there like nothing is about to happen. Maybe he is blind? But he let someone take him there.

199169,xcitefun-bull-attack-2.jpg
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    I don't know why people think it's impossible to blame both.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    I don't know why people think it's impossible to blame both.

I agree with the idea that both hold some responsibility, but for obvious reasons a ? would hold the bigger piece.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to go with yes it's possible. You gotta look at the specific situation.

I've seen posters blame motherfuckas who get profiled by cops, for doing some ? to cause them to get profiled - so using that logic, why not.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    This is not trolling at all - this is a legitimate philosophy question regarding conceptual analysis of blame and victimization. Apparently one can not be a victim and hold blame regarding that same victimization at the same time in a ? scenario - but does the same fly in all situations? How much carelessness does one have to exhibit before we say "Hey, that guy was an idiot and suffered repercussions."
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    i remember when they blamed Trayvon for getting shot, because he wore a hoody.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    i remember when they blamed Trayvon for getting shot, because he wore a hoody.

Good analogy. Not sure I can defend that victim blaming at all. While we communicate with the clothing we choose to wear no outfit could ever say enough to justify a shooting.