Aaliyah vs. Brandy vs. Monica

Options
Punisher__
Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
All three were contemporaries in the 90's...as they were around the same age, and came out pretty much right around the same time.

But who do we have taking the W here?

To be fair, Brandy probably has the best album out of three with Afrodisiac, which was probably one of the last truly great r&b albums to come out in a while.

Monica probably has the more refined and powerful vocal chops.

Aaliyah was probably the better performer.

When all is said and done, I have to go with Brandy. Just because she has the more cohesive catalog.

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Brandy was the best all around, she could sing and dance. Monica has the best vocals but isn't a great performer, Aaliyah is a great performer but her vocals were kind of weak. With that said, they are all better than the ? out now (Keysha Cole,Keri Hilson,etc).
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I used to think Brandy would end up where Beyonce is right now.
  • Punisher__
    edited July 2010
    Options
    still-SBP wrote: »

Brandy was definitely at that point in the mid to late 90's. No question.

But she fell off.
  • theguy
    theguy Members Posts: 7
    edited July 2010
    Options
    all around i think brandy is the better one
  • Cake4real
    Cake4real Members Posts: 815
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I don't like Brandy at all and she has fallen off and hanging on her brother so I see no win for her, So now it's down to Monica and Aaliyah, I like both but if I had to go with someone I would have to be Monica. I mean she still makes good music even thought she not that great of a performer. Aaliyah career was cut short so who knows what she would be capable of now.
  • J. Rob
    J. Rob Members Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Cake4real wrote: »
    I don't like Brandy at all and she has fallen off and hanging on her brother so I see no win for her, So now it's down to Monica and Aaliyah, I like both but if I had to go with someone I would have to be Monica. I mean she still makes good music even thought she not that great of a performer. Aaliyah career was cut short so who knows what she would be capable of now.

what made her death so tragic was that it was finally her time to shine....I always thought Aaliyah was kind of overlooked while Brandy and Monica got all the attention during the mid to late 90s. When they both started slipping during the early '00s that was Aaliyah's chance to grab the spotlight from them....and she about to, but never got the chance.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I liked Aaliyah more but I think Brandy had the better career overall. She had the sweetheart thing going for her and Aaliyah & Monica took the more mature route. Who knows what would have happened with Aaliyah. The world will never know.

I liked Brandy's Full Moon album too.
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Brandy was definitely at that point in the mid to late 90's. No question.

But she fell off.

I know what the hell happened???
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Aaliyah hands down.... Then Monica simply because she can sing her ass off.

P.S. Brandy is ass, you people sound stupid. She can't sing, and she's not cute.
  • usmarin3
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Aaliyah hands down.... Then Monica simply because she can sing her ass off.

P.S. Brandy is ass, you people sound stupid. She can't sing, and she's not cute.

Let me get this right, Brandy cant sing but Aaliyah can. OK!
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Uh....YEAH!!!!! Brandy could never sing. She's below average.

Let me guess, Trey Songz sings better than Rkelly??
  • Punisher__
    edited July 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Let me get this right, Brandy cant sing but Aaliyah can. OK!

You didn't know? It's the politically correct thing to advocate for Aaliyah because she's dead. lol
  • l77543020
    l77543020 Members Posts: 34
    edited July 2010
    Options
    has to be Aaliyah ,Monica hasn't had a good album since the first one and i never really cared for brandy
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Aaliyah in terms of whose album I'd rather listen to

Monica in terms of voice. She has some classic songs though. I've essentially been more of a fan of individual songs than her albums. Her unreleased album, All Eyez On Me does have some gems on it though some of which became her third album.

Brandy is cool for some of the songs she's done. I liked her singles from her first album, the "Sittin' On Top Of The World Remix" w/ Pun and Fat Joe, "Full Moon", "Angel In Disguise", "U Don't Know Me Remix" and some of the joints on Afrodisiac.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    still-SBP wrote: »

fabricated marriges,kids out of wed lock, multiple lawsuits ,and most of damaging of them all being in involded in fatal car crash may have something to do with her "good next door" imagine and her sell tanking
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Aaliyah recorded the best material, Monica has the best voice, Brandy has album (Never say never), that can barely be topped by other 2 (one in a million, Miss thang maybe?). Monica is consistent by putting good albums, but she lacks classic. It's hard to choose one, but I always preferred her the most .
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I find myself rather listen to Aaliyah.

Timbaland laced the hell out of her with the production....

and " Rock the Boat" kills a good % of Brandy & Moncia's cataloug ....IMO
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Aaliyah, Brandy and Monica: in that order...
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I like all three but I'm going with Aaliyah>Monica>Brandy.

Aaliyah has many classic songs; not just good, but classic. She doesn't have the best voice of the three, but she has the best music. Her videos also help put her over the other too. I loved Monica's first album, which is why I choose her over Brandy, her voice is also better. When it came to the Boy Is Mine, it was Monica over Brandy. It's not to say that Brandy doesn't have quality music though, because I also loved Full Moon.
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    when brandy n monica did dat video togetha, it always seemed like brandy had a booga n her nose. dat ? always threw me off about her. aaliyah was that ? , so sad she died. but Monica was dat female dat always seemed like that fine ass ? errbody in tha hood was tryin to get w/. she just seem like wifey material, i always lubbded dat sexy ass mafucka. Music wise tho, aaliyah had it hands down.

lmao @ the bolded.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Brady sold the most records and had the most hits. Monica has had a great career also. But I think it's between Brandy and Aaliyah so if you take their best albums Vs each other:

Never Say Never Vs One In A Million

Than Aaliyah wins. Yes Brandy has a better voice and Monica out sung both of them but If I had to choose I'd go with:

1. Aaliyah
    2. Brandy
    3. Monica

Both Brandy and Monica fell off hard musically where as Aaliyah was getting better and better with age. Brandy and Monica had to do a song together to get a #1 hit and yes it was a huge massive grammy award winning hit but Aaliyah did it on her own with "Try Again" which became the 1st song to go #1 strictly off airplay. Again Aaliyah is the female "Young" Goat. That's why she was the 1st Princess of Hip Hop/RnB and has had more people copy her style (Ciara, Ashanti, Rhianna) than Brandy or Monica so Aaliyah is the most influenical of the 3.
  • usmarin3
    edited July 2010
    Options
    when brandy n monica did dat video togetha, it always seemed like brandy had a booga n her nose. dat ? always threw me off about her. aaliyah was that ? , so sad she died. but Monica was dat female dat always seemed like that fine ass ? errbody in tha hood was tryin to get w/. she just seem like wifey material, i always lubbded dat sexy ass mafucka. Music wise tho, aaliyah had it hands down.

You know i always thought the same thing.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Sales/Hits

1. Brandy
    2. Aaliyah
    3. Monica

Classics

1. Brandy (2) + Aaliyah (2) (Tie)
    2. Monica (1)

Looks

1. Aaliyah
    2. Monica
    3. Brandy

Stage Presence/Dancing

1. Aaliyah
    2. Brandy
    3. Monica

Music Videos

1. Aaliyah
    2. Brandy
    3. Monica

Vocals

1. Monica
    2. Brandy
    3. Aaliyah

Impact/Influence

1. Brandy + Aaliyah (Tie)
    2. Monica

Brandy pretty much wins every catagory just about but I still put Aaliyah slightly over her.
  • TheKing203
    TheKing203 Banned Users Posts: 724
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    You didn't know? It's the politically correct thing to advocate for Aaliyah because she's dead. lol

i kno ima get hated for this but i think aaliyah dying made her extremely overrated
  • dholt23
    dholt23 Members Posts: 839
    edited July 2010
    Options
    brandy and monica aint got ? on Aaliyah, monica can sing better than both of them but Aaliyah was super sexy and everybody loved her; cant say the same for the other two