Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find

Options
MorrisBX
MorrisBX Members Posts: 652 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in The Social Lounge
September 6 - Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find - Mounting Evidence shows ‘Cannabinoids’ in Marijuana Slow Cancer Growth, Help Manage Pain, Fatigue, Nausea and Other Side Effects - ThatHustle.com
clip_image002.jpg

Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find

Mounting evidence shows ‘cannabinoids’ in marijuana slow cancer growth, inhibit formation of new blood cells that feed a tumor, and help manage pain, fatigue, nausea, and other side effects.

Cristina Sanchez, a young biologist at Complutense University in Madrid, was studying cell metabolism when she noticed something peculiar. She had been screening brain cancer cells because they grow faster than normal cell lines and thus are useful for research purposes. But the cancer cells died each time they were exposed to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the principal psychoactive ingredient of marijuana.

Instead of gaining insight into how cells function, Sanchez had stumbled upon the anti-cancer properties of THC. In 1998, she reported in a European biochemistry journal that THC “induces apoptosis [cell death] in C6 glioma cells,” an aggressive form of brain cancer.

Subsequent peer-reviewed studies in several countries would show that THC and other marijuana-derived compounds, known as “cannabinoids,” are effective not only for cancer-symptom management (nausea, pain, loss of appetite, fatigue), they also confer a direct antitumoral effect.

A team of Spanish scientists led by Manuel Guzman conducted the first clinical trial assessing the antitumoral action of THC on human beings. Guzman administered pure THC via a catheter into the tumors of nine hospitalized patients with glioblastoma, who had failed to respond to standard brain-cancer therapies. The results were published in 2006 in the British Journal of Pharmacology: THC treatment was associated with significantly reduced tumor cell proliferation in every test subject.

Around the same time, Harvard University scientists ++reported++[ ]Nature Publishing Group : science journals, jobs, and information that THC slows tumor growth in common lung cancer and “significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread.” What’s more, like a heat-seeking missile, THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

1346921169399.cached.jpg
Aric Crabb, Bay Area News Group / AP Photos

There is mounting evidence, according to a report in Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, that cannabinoids “represent a new class of anticancer drugs that ? cancer growth, inhibit angiogenesis [the formation of new blood cells that feed a tumor] and the metastatic spreading of cancer cells.”

Dr. Sean McAllister, a scientist at the Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, has been studying cannabinoid compounds for 10 years in a quest to develop new therapeutic interventions for various cancers. Backed by grants from the National Institute of Health (and with a license from the DEA), McAllister discovered that cannabidiol (CBD), a nonpsychoactive component of the marijuana plant, is a potent inhibitor of breast cancer cell proliferation, metastasis, and tumor growth.

In 2007, McAllister published a detailed account of how cannabidiol kills breast cancer cells and destroys malignant tumors by switching off expression of the ID-1 gene, a protein that appears to play a major role as a cancer cell conductor.

The ID-1 gene is active during human embryonic development, after which it turns off and stays off. But in breast cancer and several other types of metastatic cancer, the ID-1 gene becomes active again, causing malignant cells to invade and metastasize. “Dozens of aggressive cancers express this gene,” explains McAllister. He postulates that CBD, by virtue of its ability to silence ID-1 expression, could be a breakthrough anti-cancer medication.

“Cannabidiol offers hope of a non-toxic therapy that could treat aggressive forms of cancer without any of the painful side effects of chemotherapy,” says McAllister, who is seeking support to conduct clinical trials with the marijuana compound on breast cancer patients.
McAllister’s lab also is analyzing how CBD works in combination with first-line chemotherapy agents. His research shows that cannabidiol, a potent antitumoral compound in its own right, acts synergistically with various anti-cancer pharmaceuticals, enhancing their impact while cutting the toxic dosage necessary for maximum effect.

1346921171102.cached.jpg
Breast cancer cells killed by CBD on right compared to untreated breast cancer cells on left. (Courtesy Pacific Medical Center)

“Cannabidiol offers hope of a non-toxic therapy that could treat aggressive forms of cancer without any of the painful side effects of chemotherapy.

Investigators at St. George’s University in London observed a similar pattern with THC, which magnified the effectiveness of conventional antileukemia therapies in preclinical studies. THC and cannabidiol both induce apoptosis in leukemic cell lines....

Source: The Daily Beast

September 6 - Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find - Mounting Evidence shows ‘Cannabinoids’ in Marijuana Slow Cancer Growth, Help Manage Pain, Fatigue, Nausea and Other Side Effects - ThatHustle.com

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More excuses to continue smoking weed, I love it lol.....now if only the federal govt will pay attention to this study.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now post this in the weed thread in the gns.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legalize and I'll advertise.
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Weed (without an extra ? mixed into it) is naturally occurring and has no real harmful effects on the body. I'd like to see more evidence but I find this believable. But this probably won't help get it legalized. The funny thing is that there will still be no studies that ever come out about the harmful effects of smoking cigarettes even though it's obvious that it's bad for you.

His research shows that cannabidiol, a potent antitumoral compound in its own right, acts synergistically with various anti-cancer pharmaceuticals, enhancing their impact while cutting the toxic dosage necessary for maximum effect.

That line right there is why weed will never be legalized and widely used to treat cancer and other things. If it cuts down on the drug companies being able to ? our pockets then that ? is not gonna fly lol.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope you're wrong down2earth.....
  • 90's Golden Era
    90's Golden Era Members Posts: 38
    Options
    down2earth, right on the money. Ama, Pharmaceutical drug companies and even the government itself will not let that happened. It's all about profit at the end of the day. They want you hooked on their drugs.
  • down2earth
    Options
    I hope you're wrong down2earth.....

LOL i hope i'm wrong too man.....but as the saying goes "the human body is big business".
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    down2earth wrote: »
    Weed (without an extra ? mixed into it) is naturally occurring and has no real harmful effects on the body. I'd like to see more evidence but I find this believable. But this probably won't help get it legalized. The funny thing is that there will still be no studies that ever come out about the harmful effects of smoking cigarettes even though it's obvious that it's bad for you.

His research shows that cannabidiol, a potent antitumoral compound in its own right, acts synergistically with various anti-cancer pharmaceuticals, enhancing their impact while cutting the toxic dosage necessary for maximum effect.

That line right there is why weed will never be legalized and widely used to treat cancer and other things. If it cuts down on the drug companies being able to ? our pockets then that ? is not gonna fly lol.

it messes with you body natural ability to recover word to currency
  • down2earth
    Options
  • Supreme_Mind999
    Supreme_Mind999 Members Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smoked marijuana IS NOT the cure for cancer...Any form of smoke shouldn't be in the lungs..You gotta take the herb in its raw form in like a tea or tincture to see benefits
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options

I believe you're mistaken - seriously, you think NO research/studies have been done on the harmful effects of smoking cigarettes - NOT according to this info. Now back to Marijuana ---- there's NO DOUBT about it's medicinal value....can cigarette smokers say the same? Man I go out of my way to avoid SECOND HAND smoke.

http://naturalsociety.com/the-detrimental-effects-of-smoking/
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THC is not water soluble, but edibles(tinctures included) and vaporizers, are a great substitute.

If we are being honest, smoking herb to cure what ails you is not nearly as pernicious as opiates, benzos, barbiturates.
  • down2earth
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »

I believe you're mistaken - seriously, you think NO research/studies have been done on the harmful effects of smoking cigarettes - NOT according to this info. Now back to Marijuana ---- there's NO DOUBT about it's medicinal value....can cigarette smokers say the same? Man I go out of my way to avoid SECOND HAND smoke.

http://naturalsociety.com/the-detrimental-effects-of-smoking/

You have a point, I should have re-worded the bolded statement. I should have said that no studies on a widespread level have some out about the harmful effects of smoking. The studies are always very low-key and borderline hidden under everything but the kitchen sink. But yea, I worded that statement wrong.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find it incredibly hilarious that marijuana is illegal.
  • heyslick
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I find it incredibly hilarious that marijuana is illegal.

Looking back at things, I agree. ? alone has a lot of uses economically. Plus it's already legal in California. They might as well make it legal all over the U.S.

NO! it's not legal in California - possession of less than once ounce is considered an infraction & those who have medical cards can purchase marijuana at dispensaries (which are disappearing gradually). You're right about ? 's overall uses (of course less the THC component). FYI California has decriminalized possession but its still illegal.

• heyslick
    Options
    FYI regarding Californians Marijuana law

http://www.mpp.org/states/california/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marijuana should be legal.
    ? has valuable qualities as clothing material. It takes color and absorbs moisture better than cotton, is "breathable" and extremely durable, softens when washed and needs little ironing. It can be blended with cotton to obtain the benefits of both fibers. About 30 percent of pesticides used in the United States are sprayed on cotton; ? , by contrast, can be grown with little or no use of pesticides, herbicides or fungicides, thanks to its natural resistances.
    ? seed oil could be used for motor oil or as all-purpose lubricant. It may also work as a substitute for petroleum diesel.