The New Simpsons aren't all terrible

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Before you boo this man, hear me out.

I was once like you - a man who reveled in the old episodes, and tuned in every time I was cruising the tv guide and saw the reruns on to relive the magic. I hated the new episodes. The HD thing was strange and different, and the writing was not as tact. Characters I used to die laughing at were no longer on the show. The whole vibe just seemed to suck. I thought that until recently.

I have been using my PVR more recently after remembering we have one when my fam gave me ? for turning it off while they were trying to record something. I have been recording episodes of the simpsons like a madman. Probably got like 40 or 50. But of course, a lot of them ? are new ones. I was going to delete them at first, but I decided to watch. Here's the scoop.

A lot of them are plain and boring. In these kinds of episodes the jokes are often recycled or hackish and there is not a lot of depth to them. In better episodes you can see a lot of detail in the animation, like in the following scene. Pause it at 0:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh5knx1Bt64

Look at all those hidden jokes in the animation. That is good writing. Some of the new episodes do incorporate this depth though, it is just rarer. I did not truly begin to appreciate the new simpsons episodes until I started watching episodes where Edna Krabapple and Ned Flanders get together

It seemed like a cheap ploy at first. A desperate attempt to get a few more years out of the show. I noticed though that this was really a genius move. Ned is a widow and Edna a woman who wasted years with principal Skinrash. It makes sense that desperate people would eventually get together. Having Bart live next to his teacher opens opportunity for that relationship to also be developed more, and Edna's character as a whole.

What seemed like a tasteless move actually turned out to win me back as a fan of the show. If you've given up on the new episodes like I once had, try watching from that point and it may just get you back on board with America's favorite yellow family. (That's right, ? you Marget Cho! Your show sucked!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFTR2JJcKUg&feature=related

Comments

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh... I was going to make this thread...lol
  • Cigarello Slim
    Cigarello Slim Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Lol at that Margaret Cho shot but I religiously watched the Simpsons back in the day, I will still tune in now but I won't say to myself can't wait to see that new Simpsons episode. If I'm checking out the guide and I see a good plot for the episode I'll tune in, but overall the show fell off to me. Even with that said it's still better than the majority of animated teen/adult shows on TV.
  • ocelot
    Options
    And the Cleveland Show is surprisingly good... My ? Rallo>
  • Cigarello Slim
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    And the Cleveland Show is surprisingly good... My ? Rallo>

Honestly that show is funny I slept on it for a minute but recently started watching it on Netflix. Rallo, Cleveland and Holt be having me rollin'.
  • ocelot
    Options
    Same happend to me... Went on Netflix saw the first episode and thought it was ok... Towards the second season I was rollin.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seasons 3-13 of the Simpsons >>> anything else on TV ever

Watched one of the new ones not too long ago...it was awful...
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're Not People Just Like To Make Blanket Statements...Sure They Don't Have The "Magic" Of Their Mid-Incarnations But They're Still Pretty Funny
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're Not People Just Like To Make Blanket Statements...Sure They Don't Have The "Magic" Of Their Mid-90's Incarnations But They're Still Pretty Funny
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly i have never seen a FULL episode of the simpsons, beginning to end. Show was just corny to me i dunno why. I like family guy and south Park, which i know were both inspired by the simpsons but i just can't get into the simpsons at all.
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Honestly i have never seen a FULL episode of the simpsons, beginning to end. Show was just corny to me i dunno why. I like family guy and south Park, which i know were both inspired by the simpsons but i just can't get into the simpsons at all.

Honestly I haven't watched the Simpsons in years but the Simpsons at it's peak ? all over family guy and south park. Not even close.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with T/S. Seasons 3 - 11 = GOAT.

Then they got off track. ? got mad goofy and I stopped watching. But I dunno, its like 24 now and somewhere along the line they got they ? back together. I dunno how long its been, but I caught some episodes from the last couple seasons and them ? were funny.

I agree with @ocelot too. Cleveland Show is mad slept on. People just hate that show and I don't understand why? It took my white homie to sit me down and make me watch. One of the best black sitcoms of all time. And it got me back on The Simpsons sunday night
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »

Then they got off track. ? got mad goofy and I stopped watching. But I dunno, its like 24 now and somewhere along the line they got they ? back together. I dunno how long its been, but I caught some episodes from the last couple seasons and them ? were funny.

I agree with @ocelot too. Cleveland Show is mad slept on. People just hate that show and I don't understand why? It took my white homie to sit me down and make me watch. One of the best black sitcoms of all time. And it got me back on The Simpsons sunday night

? hate it because its a black show created by white folk...IMO its a good show...Better than that pile of ? American Dad! anyway
  • Cigarello Slim
    Options
    One thing I will say is Homer has never fallen off his crude humor still cracks me up in the recent episodes.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »

? hate it because its a black show created by white folk...IMO its a good show...Better than that pile of ? American Dad! anyway

LOL....Nah, you buggin now. American Dad started slow, but that ? is funny as hell now. Just Rodger alone...