Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive

Options
themadlionsfan
themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in IllGaming

Bayonetta 2 Devs Respond to Exclusivity Criticism

The creative team behind Bayonetta 2 has responded to fan criticism about the game being exclusive to Nintendo's Wii U.

by Luke Karmali

September 14, 2012

PlatinumGames has responded to fan criticism about Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive.

A mixed reaction followed the company's surprising reveal that the sequel to the original Bayonetta, which appeared on both PS3 and Xbox 360, would only launch on Nintendo's upcoming console.

Alongside Nintendo, we hope to grow the Bayonetta brand beyond where it stands today, allowing even more gamers around the world to experience the action of our beloved witch.

PlatinumGames CEO and President Tatsuya Minami explained on the company's website that the original game was fundamental in establishing the company as an emerging studio, and promised that Bayonetta 2 would be a "true sequel" in terms of both design goals and much of the team working on it.

He explained, "Bayonetta has fans the world over, and we would never dream of alienating them from participating in the future of PlatinumGames.

“That being said, the console games market is in a state of upheaval, so establishing a new game franchise requires a considerable amount of will, determination, and love. Bayonetta is a brand that we want to see become stronger, reaching the hands of more and more gamers, so we have continued to consult with SEGA, the previous game’s publisher, on how we can make sure this takes place. Our answer was a new partnership with Nintendo.

“Alongside Nintendo, we hope to grow the Bayonetta brand beyond where it stands today, allowing even more gamers around the world to experience the action of our beloved witch.”

While nothing has been confirmed, its believed that Bayonetta 2 was dropped by SEGA as a result of the company’s reshuffle earlier this year when it was decided that the publisher would only focus on core franchises in future. It's possible that Nintendo swooped in to save the game and made it into a Wii U exclusive in the process.

Returning from the original game is Yusuke Hashimoto who will replace Hideki Kamiya in the game director role. He said, "Alongside Bayonetta’s creator, Hideki Kamiya, I’m working on everything from creating a compelling world to character designs (I will be designing the enemies again), and everyone on our talented team is united around the core of Bayonetta."

Though this means Kamiya won't be directing the game, he is on board as a supervisor and revealed that work on Bayonetta 2 has been ongoing for some time. He explained, "We were secretly making one the entire time. While I am not the director of this game, I am still supervising the world, story, characters, etc. in close coordination with Hashimoto, and I have been from the very beginning. You have nothing to work [sic - presumably he means 'worry'] about on that end. And of course, plenty of members from the first Bayonetta are on-board and working hard under the direction of Hashimoto."

No release date has been set for Bayonetta 2 but it isn't scheduled to appear during the Wii U's launch window, which runs from November until the end of March

I don't really give a ? about bayonetta but at least nintendo is doing SOMETHING to tap into the ? market....

Comments

• vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked the first bayonetta, this not enough for me to cop a wii u tho
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? was HEATED about this on Kotaku and Hideki Kamiya's twitter.

Nevermind taking into account the only reason this game exists is because Nintendo is footing the bill.
  • thenatureboy
    thenatureboy Members Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The fan outrage of this being exclusive is silly, great move by Nintendo to pick this up. They need more exclusive 3rd party software to sell the system.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Considering the game was originally on the 360/PS3 fans have a right to be upset.Who wants to pay $299+ for a game that should be on the consoles that it was originally released for? Also they could have had Namco or Konami publish the game (since they got beef with Capcom). This game will not sell well anyway since it flopped on two consoles.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nevermind taking into account the only reason this game exists is because Nintendo is footing the bill.
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Considering the game was originally on the 360/PS3 fans have a right to be upset.Who wants to pay $299+ for a game that should be on the consoles that it was originally released for? Also they could have had Namco or Konami publish the game (since they got beef with Capcom). This game will not sell well anyway since it flopped on two consoles.

If Sony or Microsoft would have offered to help publish the game, it would have came out on PS360; They didn't, Nintendo did, it is what it is. Not you, but "fans" stay crying over ? that they never supported in the first place.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well the people who did support it are complaining.I could careless about Beyonetta,but people are acting as if they don't understand why they are complaining.This game was in development before i was exclusive to the WiiU which is another reason they are upset.Don't believe the BS that Platinum is saying.
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well the people who did support it are complaining.I could careless about Beyonetta,but people are acting as if they don't understand why they are complaining.This game was in development before i was exclusive to the WiiU which is another reason they are upset.Don't believe the BS that Platinum is saying.

Sega dropped the publishing rights to the game. If ? want to be mad, It should be at them.All Platinum trying to do is get the game made.
    The game WAS in development before it was exclusive to Wii U, but AAA games don't get made without publisher funding bruh.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Exactly ....... there wouldn't have been anything to complain about if Nintendo didn't jump in. Can't curse the Bayonetta team for this going exclusive. It was either that or no game at all. At the end of the day, they gotta eat.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ...I loved the first Bayonnetta now i gotta spend $299 for a sequel...
  • vespesianus
    vespesianus Members Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Options

How the hell did it flop? It didn't break any records but the sales were still solid.

I love Bayonetta, it's one of the best games of this generation, but I'm not gonna pick up a POS Wii U just so I can play the sequel. Nintendo lost.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was looking forward to a sequel as well. But nintendo ain't been hot since '64. So I might just skip this ? . Give me 10 good games without a ? ass motion sensor and a regular controller, I might ? with it.