Why Do People Make A Big Deal That I Don't Vote

Options
OhMars
OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
I live in Texas a staunch Republican state, so if I where to vote anything but republican for president it pretty much doesn't matter because of the electoral college. So why do I get a ton of ? from people when I say im not voting, even after I explain the above.

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because most people don't understand the election process.

Still tho, you should vote for your own peace of mind if that makes sense.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tell them that the uninformed voter is the biggest threat to american democracy and that you witheld your vote because you've been receiving too much misinformation from the news and the candidates.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    because for a country that screams democracy we have a relatively low percentage of folks that vote...
    think about the amount of mafuckas in Texas thinking like u... maybe Texas wouldn't b a Republican state if mafuckas voted... you'll never know tho... do u...
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    What I hate is that ? will run to vote for the president but won't vote for anything else. Then they'll complain about how everything is all ? up and half-assed when really it's ? up because they half-assed with their voting.

Alot of the voting population neglects the importance of local and state elections.

Thats why alot of places have the wrong people in office.
  • Louis Cipher
    Louis Cipher Members Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    o mars wrote: »
    I live in Texas a staunch Republican state, so if I where to vote anything but republican for president it pretty much doesn't matter because of the electoral college. So why do I get a ton of ? from people when I say im not voting, even after I explain the above.

becuz you probably complain your ass off...if you dont vote...you shouldnt bother
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What I hate is that ? will run to vote for the president but won't vote for anything else. Then they'll complain about how everything is all ? up and half-assed when really it's ? up because they half-assed with their voting.

that's that ? i don't like
  • Louis Cipher
    Options

this too...people act sometimes like the president is king...he's not...he cant do it all by himself
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign. Unless you live in a battleground state it doesn't matter cause of the electoral college.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So how do you feel about your community since you vote at the local state and federal level
  • Louis Cipher
    Options
    INB4 "my vote doesnt count"

you mustve not read the original post...that was his reasoning..his vote doesnt count...

what parish you live in bruh...im in EBR...
  • OhMars
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    because for a country that screamis democracy we have a relatively low percentage of folks that vote...
    think about the amount of mafuckas in Texas thinking like u... maybe Texas wouldn't b a Republican state if mafuckas voted... you'll never know tho... do u...

I live in Houston, a Democratic city, like most metropolitan cities in Texas. But that's only about 5 cities. Can you the thousands of small and midsize that are hick filled. Texas ain't changing for a long long time. But I do understand where you are coming from
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    voting for congress>>>>>>voting for president imo
  • OhMars
    Options

Still tho, you should vote for your own peace of mind if that makes sense.

I have heard that before but I don't understand what that means. Please enlighten me madam.
  • OhMars
    Options

Damn skippy, local elections are vastly more important then presidential. They actually effect your day to day lives
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Real ? ? . Choosing between two similar but ? options is overrated. Of course, you can change the scope of your choice so that the options become less ? .

Or you can just work around the system without getting caught up in all of the ? .
  • OhMars
    Options

becuz you probably complain your ass off...if you dont vote...you shouldnt bother

I don't complain about ? I can't control, so I damn sure don't complain about the president.
  • MrLunatik1979
    MrLunatik1979 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You don't have to vote, but by not voting you forfeit your right to ? about the outcome.
    I disagree with this. As long as you educate yourself on the candidates and decide that no candidates deserve your vote then you have every right to complain, its those who never cared to educate themselves and those who voted for the victor that can't complain
  • proud_babydaddy
    proud_babydaddy Members Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont complain (military im getting paid regardless) and georgia will always be republican. Even when jimmy carter ran. The local guy i voted for i knew growing up changed from.democrat to republican.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/06/nation/la-na-democratic-defections-20110207
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Actually Im more upset that people wont vote in their midterm/local election cycles which is where & when all the things that effect your everyday life are decided.

As far as the general election it's about changing one mind at a time to make a difference. If you stop thinking of things in terms of ME and start thinking in terms of US (as in people like you who have a similar ideology) then voting becomes extremely important.

Also you have to be informed. You err in thinking Texas is a Red State just like people err when saying, "this country is center right." No it isnt. There is a difference between the political state of the population and the electorate. A poll I read (before Obama was at 50 percent for likely voters) showed that about 55% of people favored Obama in this election. The problem? Only 47 percent of LIKELY voters favored him which put him in the margin of error with Romney.

THink about how politics would change in your state and community if you changed your mind about the voting issue and you realized, "no my one little vote doesnt mean anything numerically, but if I can convince 10 people...who can convince another 10 and so on that the sum of our voices being heard at the polls can change my state's approach to how they deal with me and people like me on Capitol Hill" then you'd be a faithful voter.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Although I don't advocate not voting I'm certainly not against it. If your voting for the less of two evils your still voting in evil. It's perfectly understandable why one wouldn't participate in such a corrupt process.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I forgot to give you examples which I think are more effective than that little speech I gave. So here goes:

1. When blacks got the vote (for the final time in the 1960s) politicians passed many laws to benefit us. Because they were great people? ? no. It was because they wanted to tap into a new voting demographic in order to win more elections.

2. When women got the vote politicians passed laws to benefit them. Did you watch the DNC convention? Did you notice all the dog whistles aimed at women in damn near every speech? It's because women are the main reason Obama is leading in the polls right now. Women show up on election day.

3. Elderly people are the most faithful voters. As a result no politician will dare say anything about getting rid of medicare even though Republicans have wanted to for years because it costs so much. It's one of many reasons Obama won in the first place because older people loved what he had to say about Medicare & prescription medicine in Florida.

4. Finally the new trend is to kiss Hispanic's ass. Because politicians are such great people and they realize that immigrants are indeed the foundation of America? NO. It's because the first generation of Hispanics since they because the majority minority are now eligible to vote. And both parties are toning down the rhetoric and trying to get those votes. Democrats are winning that battle mostly, forcing the GOP to tone down their talk about deportation.

Wanna know why nobody cares about blacks? Because democrats already know they have the black vote so why pander? Once blacks realize how ? ? it is that they can stand in line at 5AM for new Jordans but cant vote for a ? elected officials we'll start being taken seriously again politically. Obama did something for young folks as far as college loans why? Because youth turn out was high in 2008.

The moral of this long ass story u likely wont read is: If you want something you have to go get it. And u have to convince others that it's worth getting. if u dont then you are right your vote is a waste. But dont cry when Mitt Romney gets in office cuz u one of the ? ? running around talking about, "Obama got this ? dawg I aint voting this ? dont matter anyway."
  • ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

becuz people got KILLED for the right to vote...and your punk ass is just NOT gonna vote even if you have no chance in texas of winning....cmon dogg....? waere hanged for the opportunity to vote!!!!

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm an advocate of doing what you want to do. I don't always vote either, nobody "represents" me but I do vote against people and ideologies I dislike.

Example: recently here up for election was a millage for the Detroit Institute of Art, a museum of the highest caliber as far as I am concerned. They were running out of funds and without a public support they would have to close it. So I got off my ass and voted to save the museum, I didn't give a ? about anything else. Judges? ? em, Senators/Congressmen? ? em, I voted to help the museum and to stop them from building more jails in my county. That's the ? I thought was important enough to vote for and it was worth it.

Same thing this election cycle. I'm voting mostly on local issues like the new bridge to Canada and collective bargaining. I don't give a flying ? about Obama & Romney, they make for interesting television but that's it.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Post that link of your sig.