The Indy/Int'l Wrestling Thread - ROH Final Battle ‘17, M Dalton Castle def. Cody Rhodes for Title

Options

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TNA needed that. starting the year off with a win.
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    TNA needed that. starting the year off with a win.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/44775/Dixie-Carter-Resigns-As-TNA-Wrestling-Chairman-Amid-Company/
    Looks like they're headed out n the right direction finally.

Anthem Sports & Entertainment have announced they've formed a new company that will be the parent company of TNA Wrestling. The company, called Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions will be overseen by Ed Nordholm as President.

Dixie Carter has resigned as Chairman of Impact Ventures, the former parent company of TNA. She will remain with Anthem in an advisory role and a minority equity shareholder.

Below is the official press statement:

Anthem Sports & Entertainment Forms Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC., Acquires Control of IMPACT Wrestling

Toronto, Canada (January 4, 2017) - Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp. today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire a majority interest in TNA IMPACT Wrestling, and has formed Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC. Anthem also owns Fight Network, the world’s premier 24/7 multi-platform channel dedicated to complete coverage of combat sports, which is IMPACT Wrestling’s exclusive broadcast partner in Canada and worldwide digital partner.

“We are thrilled to have acquired TNA IMPACT Wrestling,” said Ed Nordholm, Executive Vice President of Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp., the parent of Fight Network. “As we grow Anthem’s linear, digital and mobile platforms globally, top tier content with global appeal is key to that success and this acquisition is a perfect strategic addition to our portfolio. IMPACT has been a dominant wrestling brand around the world for more than a decade and we are confident that Anthem can leverage its assets and strategic partnerships to take IMPACT Wrestling to even greater heights.”

Mr. Nordholm, who has been the managing director of the IMPACT Ventures Board of Managers since October 2016, will assume the position of President of Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC. Dixie Carter will resign from her position as Chairman of Impact Ventures and join the Advisory Board of Fight Media Group, which holds all of the combat sports-related assets of Anthem, where her focus will be on the global growth of the combat sports-related brands owned by Anthem.

“Anthem has been a great partner for many years,” added Dixie Carter. “We have worked hard to find the right company who would acquire TNA, use its strategic influence and have a long-term commitment to the brand. TNA’s incredible fans, talent and staff deserved to see the brand continue to thrive after 15+ years of incredible growth. I’m excited to move to a new position and work with Anthem on their global strategic plan, and I am confident TNA IMPACT Wrestling is going to be a huge part of their success.”

Ms. Carter will remain a minority equity stakeholder.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jeff Jarrett returning to tna

Anthem Media has come to terms for Jeff Jarrett to return to TNA, PWInsider.com has confirmed. We are told that Jarrett will be at this week's TV tapings, as will his wife Karen Jarrett.

Jarrett, one of the original founders of TNA alongside his father Jerry Jarrett, resigned his position from the company in December 2013. At the time, Jarrett held the position of Executive Vice President of Development/Original Programming and his departure was seen as a huge shock at the time.

Jarrett would go on to form Global Force Wrestling while still a minority shareholder in TNA, which was seen as an embarrassment to TNA at the time. There was such an anger about that from Carter's end, that, at the time TNA brought back the six-sided ring, numerous sources told PWInsider.com that it was done because Carter felt Jarrett would do it within GFW, so it was TNA's way of cutting him off at the pass.

As it turned out, Jarrett was brought back in 2014 as part of a deal that saw him inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame on camera while behind the scenes, Dixie Carter acquired his shares in the company, giving her, at the time 100% ownership. It was a deal that was done so that Carter had complete control and could attempt to find new partners without Jarrett's potential interference, something that led TNA down the road to Aroluxe, Billy Corgan and finally Anthem Media.

Only, Anthem decided to turn to Jarrett.

The re-emergence of Jarrett was pointed to this morning as a sign that Carter was completely out in terms of decision-making as the pair had at times, split the loyalty within the company between their two sides and had a number of falling outs over the years, including a time period where Jarrett took time off from the company after it became public knowledge he was dating his now wife Karen (who had previously been married to Kurt Angle, at the time the top star in TNA). During that time away, Carter let go of Jarrett's entire support staff at the time, including Dutch Mantel, Savio Vega, Jim Cornette and Brian "Roaddogg" James.

"There is no way [Carter] would have allowed Jeff to return," said one source who spoke under condition of anonymity this morning. "This is proof that she is done."

The return of Jarrett makes him something of a Steve Jobs figure within TNA as like Jobs, Jarrett was forced out/walked away from something he created, only for that same entity to reach out seeking his assistance in righting it down the line. Anthem reached out to Jarrett last month and held a number of meetings with him as they did their due diligence prior to officially announcing yesterday that they had acquired Impact Wrestling.

We are also told that Dutch Mantel is already in Orlando and is expected at this week's tapings, which certainly lends credence to the idea that Jarrett will be helping behind the scenes in terms of creative as Mantel was always one of his top lieutenants in that regard in the past. After being let go by TNA, Mantel, considered a great mind for the business, had a run with WWE as Zeb Colter.

We are also told that this does not mean the end of Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling promotion, which has been working to establish a TV deal in conjunction with "American Ninja Warrior" production company A. Smith & Co. Productions in Los Angeles. Sources indicate that whatever Jarrett is doing with TNA, it will not impede any potential GFW business moving forward.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    So Okada vs Kenny Omega is better than HBK vs Taker at WM 25 supposedly
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega WK 11 Main Event Full Match (50 minutes plus, first 5 plus star match ever)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2HAWD8-WuY
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Wrestle Kingdom 11 Full PPV (slightly over 5 hours, last four matches considered to be all classics)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hwl35lAfvw
  • CSOPQ
    CSOPQ Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. Cant wait to watch this
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    CSOPQ wrote: »
    Thanks. Cant wait to watch this

Ill be posting it on Facebook later in case it gets deleted
  • OGDirtyDee
    OGDirtyDee Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bru Kenny Omega vs Okada is top 10 GOAT matches
  • BlueIceBranson
    BlueIceBranson Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll try to catch it this weekend.
  • jono
    Options
    I watched Omega vs Okada, great match but its becoming overrated that fast. It was better than Naito vs Tanahashi which disappointed me. O'Reilly vs Cole did too.
  • infamous114
    Options
    Damn. That Omega/Okada match was great
  • infamous114
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • OGDirtyDee
    Options
    I watched Omega vs Okada, great match but its becoming overrated that fast. It was better than Naito vs Tanahashi which disappointed me. O'Reilly vs Cole did too.

I dont think overrated applies here it literally covered every aspect of wrestling from 10/10 hype, top notch psychology, hard hitting style, high flying style, technical wrestling, crisp chain wrestling and showmanship. I cant remember thr last time in wrestling where a match was this fully packaged. Okada gets just as much credit as Omega and this is def both their best matches.
  • jono
    Options
    OGDirtyDee wrote: »

I dont think overrated applies here it literally covered every aspect of wrestling from 10/10 hype, top notch psychology, hard hitting style, high flying style, technical wrestling, crisp chain wrestling and showmanship. I cant remember thr last time in wrestling where a match was this fully packaged. Okada gets just as much credit as Omega and this is def both their best matches.

The only reason I even watched the match is due to the hype. I didn't care who won, there was never any reason to care about who wins or loses.

There was zero emotional investment on my part so I wasn't as into it. The commentary (english) wasn't even that excited.

I give them credit though, going 45 minutes and keeping it entertaining is impressive in itself but all this 10/10 stuff is ridiculous.
  • OGDirtyDee
    Options
    OGDirtyDee wrote: »

The only reason I even watched the match is due to the hype. I didn't care who won, there was never any reason to care about who wins or loses.

There was zero emotional investment on my part so I wasn't as into it. The commentary (english) wasn't even that excited.

I give them credit though, going 45 minutes and keeping it entertaining is impressive in itself but all this 10/10 stuff is ridiculous.

exactly why u feel it wasnt a 5 star match.

My girl barely watches wrestling and at the end she even said that might of been the best match she ever seen. I get where u coming from tho because most 5 star matches people say i should go back and watch i never truly enjoy it because im not invested in to it but as a NJPW fan and a big Omega fan, they hit every cylinder a wrestling match could and delievered.

• DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Naito vs Tanahashi, and Goto were classics maybe jjst as good as that Okada vs omega match in some peoples opinions
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Finally watch Omega and Okada. Spectacular match but I can see the argument of it being overrated. I'm going to give it a second watch but definitely think the hype is what's fueling it. That on top of it getting so much attention while it's such a different style of wrestling than most people are used to if you aren't too familiar with NJPW. But 6 star match? Come on now..
    Wrestle Kingdom 11 Full PPV (slightly over 5 hours, last four matches considered to be all classics)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hwl35lAfvw
    Only watched the first five matches and the main event, but I'm not surprised. The last 4 matches of last year's Wrestle Kingdom were top notch as well.
  • OGDirtyDee
    Options
    6 stars is a stretch but itw def 5 easily. Its better then both Taker and HBK matches which either one is a 5 dependinf on who u ask.
  • infamous114
    Options
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Bullet Club >>> nWo in terms of capturing just about every important wrestling promotion there is title. No one cares about TNA anymore, not even me barely.
  • OGDirtyDee
    Options
    Bullet Club >>> nWo in terms of capturing just about every important wrestling promotion there is title. No one cares about TNA anymore, not even me barely.

As iconic of a group NWO was Bullet Club is the more accomplished group by alot.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options