THE HOUSE OF PAIN and RUN N SHOOT ERA OF THE HOUSTON OILERS (1987-1993)

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
I am a die hard Oakland Raider fan but I am a die hard Football Fan first, that studied the history of the NFL since my pre-teens and played the game from Pop warner to college, from the 20's until the modern era i used to study and read books on the nfl and at a time in the 90's i could of name every offense and defense starter of every football team and the NFL. So this is my first of many of Great NFL teams, Offense and Defense and Throwback hard nose Players.

NOW LET'S TALK SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Wy0aOO6wxhg

FIRST THING FIRST, LET'S GIVE RESPECT TO JERRY GLANVILLEjerry_glanville_1988_10_01.jpg who came to Houston in 1987 and changed the team around and build the offense and that great HOUSE OF PAIN defense that Jack Pardee got to enjoy, Jerry Defense was hard hitting, fast after the quaterback and harass the receivers with a great special team, so Glanville should get the respect that he is due.

MY FAVORITE team from that era is the 1992 HOUSTON OILERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxNuAcL2H74

ON offense WARREN MOONWarren-Moon.jpg was running the RUN N SHOOT and that high powered offense. He had Lorenzo White t_29933_01.jpg at runningback who had a breakout year being the lone back in the backfield with 265 rushes for 1,226 yards, 7 td, & 57 catches for 641 yards and 1 td.

with great four receivers to play with Ernest Givins 4d7394390a9a7_75577n.jpg, Curtis Duncan hill2.jpg, Haywood Jefferies t_39821.jpg and Webster Slaughter 4991c2ea2c76d_75577b.jpg who came in to replace Drew Hill.

THE LEF SIDE off the Offense Line is one of the best Left Side in the 90's with 2 HOF'ers and 1 HOF worthy LT in Don Maggs 4d7bb4bdf03c6_75577n.jpg HOF Guard Mike Munchak image.php?productid=47152 and HOF Center Bruce Matthews p-290242-bruce-matthews-houston-oilers-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-photo-aw-33408.jpg.

NOW LET'S GET TO THE HARD HITTING HOUSE OF PAIN HOUSTON OILERS DEFENSE!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8RvgNX4shA&feature=related

The D-LINE was one of the best in the 90's In the Middle at DT there was future HOF Ray Childressray-childress.jpg Jeff Alm at the othe DT spot, sackmasters William Fuller xa618.jpg and Sean Joneshouston-oilers-sean-jones-102-topps-1989-nfl-american-football-trading-card-37532-p.jpg at DE

AND THERE WAS THE RUN STUFFING HARD HITTING LINEBACKER CROPS OF Al Smith p-269585-al-smith-autographed-hand-signed-football-card-houston-oilers-nfl-pro-set-aw-33108.jpg, Lamar Lathon 545169856_tp.jpg and Eddie Robinson ic313.jpg

THE SECONDARY tough and violent with Chris Dishman chris-dishman.jpg locking the other team best wr down and Jerry Grayb9a1343173d24c4d5d2e088a902b.jpg locking the other wr down they had one of the best tandems in the nfl.

At FS Bubba Mcdowell4d7296b17e519_75577n.jpg one of the nastiest player in the NFL was putting fear in the other team who dare to go in the middle of the field AND Marcus Robertsonp-339744-marcus-robertson-unautographed-houston-oilers-8x10-photo-ath-ctbl_003222.jpg followed suit in style in play

Comments

• HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mobile goat....

To this day I still cant bring up that playoff game against the Bills at family reunions. I get cussed out lol.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mobile goat....

To this day I still cant bring up that playoff game against the Bills at family reunions. I get cussed out lol.

That bills game will forever be in my memory. First time I ever won something from a game. 2 of my boys were ? oilers fan. Bet them 5 dollars each on that game. I almost paid up when they were up by like 4 TD's, but I was like nah -- Jim Kelly got this.

I was ballin for a 11 year old. lol. One of the ? had to borrow 3 bones from his moms. My momma called me a junior loan shark.
  • waterproof
    Options
    Mobile goat....

I bet you do get cussed out for bringing that game up.

MAN that gotta hurt,lol........ that was the year that Warren Moon was supposed to get the Super Bowl ring that he deserve the Defense let him down on that one and i still remember watching that game it's was around christmas time and i couldn't believe that ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S_A6aHt8H0&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foSj9-WYsFE&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYoCLBVcLBs&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESwCeB1b2k&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiIXnq3v-sQ&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg9Q3up1sMg&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX9CGhxZ_mA&feature=relmfu
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mann them oilers throwbacks were fresh.
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i used to use the oliers in tecmo... haywood jefferies, drew hill, earnest givings?? GOAT receiving corps in video game history
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    bruce, holt, az hakim, proehl on 2001 madden>>>>>>>
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    and that bills comeback didnt keep moon from getting ? , the cowboys would've smashed them in the super bowl anyway
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Props to the O/P. As a Houston Oilers/Tenn Titans fan who grew up in upstate NY surrounded by Bills fans, that comeback game is the worst sports memory ever. The game was not televised due to the NFL blackout rules so I had to listen to the game on the radio..I thought that they were going all the way..I still can't believe it happened, much less with Frank ? at QB. I've never watched the highlights from that game and I never will. I got a little payback yrs later with the Music City Miracle..

How many Oilers fan remember Kevin Gilbride and Buddy Ryan coming to blows during a game?
  • waterproof
    Options

TIM BROWN, MERVYN FERNANDEZ, WILLE GAULT, SAM GRADDY on TECMO BOWL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To this day the Bills can skull drag everyone on Tecmo Bowl except for the Giants.

The Oilers was must watch football back in the day.
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

TIM BROWN, MERVYN FERNANDEZ, WILLE GAULT, SAM GRADDY on TECMO BOWL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

lol im still taking the rams bunch...especially with faulk coming out of the backfield. it was literally no way to stop them cats.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    ? like me used to deal with ? on Super Tecmo with the CHiefs.

Derrick Thomas = At least 10 sacks.
    Christian Okoye = At least 250 yards rushing.

Never fails. lol
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders -Redskins>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oh yeah can't forget about Rice, Taylor, Jones, & Roger Craig!!! Tecmo Bowl was the ? back then!!!
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Jerry Glanville: If you didn't really care about winning, but u wanted a coach with Goat sound bytes... Glanville was your man.

He was Jim Mora before Jim Mora was Jim Mora.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a giants fan but l Moon was my fav all time qb and I loved givens and jeffries... Also their touchdown dances were hilarious . When they added Webster slaughtered they had 4 great wrs with Duncan.
  • waterproof
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Jerry Glanville: If you didn't really care about winning, but u wanted a coach with Goat sound bytes... Glanville was your man.

I gotta disagree, Glanville turned The Oilers into winners when he came in 3 out of 4 years he lead tme to the playoffs and he brought in Jim Jones and they got the ball rolling and brought in the run N shoot offense that Jack Pardee got to enjoyed, Pardee enoyed what Glanville built, the only reason he was fired because Glanville was his own man he didnt give a ? if he got fire because he knew what he done and another team will pick him up.

But @greenwood192 i got a thread coming at the end of this week about one of my favorite team in the 90's that i liked to watch YOUR 1992 2 LEGIT TO QUIT ATLANTA FALCONS, those boys had ? swagger and played their ? off....GLANVILLE BROUGHT THE BLACK UNI'S and that Offense with Rison, Haynes, Pritchard and Thomas at WR, Chris Miller was dropping bombs had a Pro Bowl year.

Offense Line had multi pro bowlers and All Pro's in the 80's in Mike Kenn, Bill Fralic and Chris Hinton.

hard hitting safetys in SCOTT CASE and BRIAN JORDAN, LOCK DOWN CORNERS in Prime Time and Tim Mc'kyer, Jessie Tuggle in the Middle and a Solid D-Line
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

I gotta disagree, Glanville turned The Oilers into winners when he came in 3 out of 4 years he lead tme to the playoffs and he brought in Jim Jones and they got the ball rolling and brought in the run N shoot offense that Jack Pardee got to enjoyed, Pardee enoyed what Glanville built, the only reason he was fired because Glanville was his own man he didnt give a ? if he got fire because he knew what he done and another team will pick him up.

But @greenwood192 i got a thread coming at the end of this week about one of my favorite team in the 90's that i liked to watch YOUR 1992 2 LEGIT TO QUIT ATLANTA FALCONS, those boys had ? swagger and played their ? off....GLANVILLE BROUGHT THE BLACK UNI'S and that Offense with Rison, Haynes, Pritchard and Thomas at WR, Chris Miller was dropping bombs had a Pro Bowl year.

Offense Line had multi pro bowlers and All Pro's in the 80's in Mike Kenn, Bill Fralic and Chris Hinton.

hard hitting safetys in SCOTT CASE and BRIAN JORDAN, LOCK DOWN CORNERS in Prime Time and Tim Mc'kyer, Jessie Tuggle in the Middle and a Solid D-Line

That's the squad that made me a Falcon fan to begin with... But Glanville was overrated as a coach. With that high powered offense and the Defensive talent we had (the best secondary in the NFL for at least 4 years) we should've went to at least one NFC championship.

I blame our ownership back then more than him. They didn't really give a ? about winning. And Glanville was GAAAARBAGE drafting. With ? ownership you have to make sure you draft well, 'cause they damn sho ain't gonna sign any good free agents.

The old ownership just wanted a good enough team to "put on a show" and sell some tickets and not get blacked-out. That's all their goal was.