refs ...................."Reggie Miller" rule will be enforced this year

Options
ATTS
ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
not sure if this was posted

As the NBA has decided to "? down on flopping" with its new shiny fines for such an offense, there have been a few additions to the rule book and what will be enforced this season.

While many people wondered if flopping would lead to technical fouls, some also were curious to see if the league would institute FIBA's goaltending rule (once the ball touches the rim on a shot, a player can knock it away). The league passed on the FIBA rule, but it did tweak a few of the current rules that will affect the game but not as dramatically as we once presumed.

In addition to reviewable replay calls at the end of games, Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe lets us know shooters kicking their legs out to draw fouls won't be tolerated anymore (via SLAMOnline):

Also, officials will emphasize the ''Reggie Miller rule'' for a shooter who kicks his legs out during jump-shot attempts to create contact and draw fouls. Officials plan to call offensive fouls on shooters who blatantly kick out their legs to initiate contact.

This is going to be pretty interesting to see just how much officials continue to fall for this kind of move as opposed to how much they recognize it in real time and call the offensive foul. This is a play that has been called on the defensive player many times instead of just being a no-call. Now they're going to go in the other direction and call it an offensive foul?

Here's an example of Reggie Miller using it to his advantage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5hUfGVoyvM&feature=player_embedded

In the first 3-point attempt and highlight of this package, Reggie kicks out his right leg as the defender comes by. This is definitely a foul by rule, but it's good to know they're going to call a foul on the offensive player. I'm curious if this will lead to more offensive fouls on driving players who create separation with a foot to the midsection of the challenging defensive player.

Miller once had the NBA record for most 4-point plays in NBA history, but Jamal Crawford has since exceeded that total. Surprisingly, Crawford shouldn't be affected much by this. Search "Jamal Crawford 4-point play" on YouTube, and you'll see he gets hit on the arm quite a bit and rarely kicks his legs out to create the contact.

Another rule that has been tweaked is the "Respect for the Game" rule. Players will once again be asked to check the theatrics at the door when arguing a call, but they'll no longer be given a technical for throwing the ball against the stanchion.

A few years ago, the league sought to ? down on players who threw the ball against the stanchions in frustration. Now, officials said, they will only call technicals on players who disrupt the game or toss ? that distract fans.

I don't quite understand what the "toss ? that distract fans" part of this means, but one can only assume we'll see a lot of ejected cheerleaders and mascots after timeouts are called. People go crazy for those slingshot tosses.

Comments

• infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    James Jones does this all the time lol. Won't make a difference though since he doesn't get much playing time.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Someone explain to me how players distract fans.. the fans go to games to watch what players do

4220170_o.gif
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man, Jason Kidd is soo underated, he put up 29, 15, and 6 in that game. top 5 Pg of all time for sure
  • afromo
    afromo Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kobe does this alot
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    afromo wrote: »
    kobe does this alot

was gonna say this
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kobe does this alot

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been playing ball for years and I kick my leg out for balance on fall away shots and off balance shots.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I been playing ball for years and I kick my leg out for balance on fall away shots and off balance shots.

yeah I was just about to say this

I thought it was more just natural form vs. trying to intentionally draw a foul

what I hate in the NBA is the Dwade/Paul Pierce pump-fake then just into the defender move

that's a ? call that wouldn't had slid 15 years ago

being able to get calls like that is what has hurt the quality of the league
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what I hate in the NBA is the Dwade/Paul Pierce pump-fake then just into the defender move

man co mfing sign dog i was just about to say that.. but i think the leg ? is more intentional than u think, but i can deal with that its the bolded i cant stand. and Dwade was the first one i thought of.. thats some ticky tack ass ? IMO
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

where you think they got that from they been doing that in the league for a while.
  • vageneral08
    Options
    actually the kobe rule is no ? to the ref about a foul call
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

thats the whole league. you rarely see ANY player cop to even the most obvious call, unless he one of them "6 fouls off the bench"?

• CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kobe does this alot

was gonna say this

jusdre313 wrote: »

man co mfing sign dog i was just about to say that.. thought of.. thshit IMO[/
    ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agree 100%, the fact that ? like that can be used is pretty much why I stopped watching the NBA consistently. They claim that they banned that ? lat year, but they still gave the shooter the foul from time to time. Wade got away with it a lot in the playoffs.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agree 100%, the fact that ? like that can be used is pretty much why I stopped watching the NBA consistently. They claim that they banned that ? lat year, but they still gave the shooter the foul from time to time. Wade got away with it a lot in the playoffs.

the rule was if you jump straight up they can't jump into you. But if you jump towards the shooter its a foul and it should be.
  • vageneral08
    Options

thats the whole league. you rarely see ANY player cop to even the most obvious call, unless he one of them "6 fouls off the bench"?

Naw bruh he does it on EVERY call even the obivious ones where he know he ? up and still ? about it
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I dont understand...your upset at the offensive player for getting the defensive player to fall for a fake?? How does that make sense?
  • blackjack2012
    blackjack2012 Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rage wrote: »

I dont understand...your upset at the offensive player for getting the defensive player to fall for a fake?? How does that make sense?

I think he's referring to them pump faking then jumping awkwardly into the defender
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think he's referring to them pump faking then jumping awkwardly into the defender

Ok...but the defender still fell for the pump fake. Hows it any different than being in the post...pump faking and then going to the rim and getting fouled?

I dont have sympathy for a defender that falls for the fake and gets hit with a foul while jumping up. Now if you kick out your legs while your in the air along with the defender...thats an offensive foul.
  • blackjack2012
    blackjack2012 Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ok...but the defender still fell for the pump fake. Hows it any different than being in the post...pump faking and then going to the rim and getting fouled?

I dont have sympathy for a defender that falls for the fake and gets hit with a foul while jumping up. Now if you kick out your legs while your in the air along with the defender...thats an offensive foul.

I agree somewhat , I can pull up some vids of players that do that and sometimes it looks ridiculous
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the Paul Pierce Head Fake... even when playeres jump straight up, the guy on O still jumps into them to get the call and Durant use to do that move where if a guy has his hand in Durant face he would bring it right up into the defenders hands and draw calls
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options