ESPN 30 For 30 'Ghosts of Ole Miss' Tuesday, October 30, at 8 p.m.

Options
TheBossman
TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
James_Meredith_OleMiss.jpg
In 1962, the University of Mississippi erupted in violence over integration while swelling with pride over an unbeaten football team.

Via press release from ESPN...

30 for 30 Continues with Ghosts of Ole Miss October 30 on ESPN Latest 30 for 30 documentary chronicles the 1962 Rebel football team’s undefeated season against the backdrop of the integration of the university

ESPN Films’ 30 for 30, presented by Buick Verano, will premiere Ghosts of Ole Miss on ESPN/ESPNHD on Tuesday, October 30, at 8 p.m. ET. The film, directed by Peabody Award-winning filmmaker Fritz Mitchell, is told through the perspective of writer and Mississippi native Wright Thompson.

In the fall of 1962, on the eve of James Meredith becoming the first African American student to attend the University of Mississippi, the campus erupted into a night of rioting between those opposed to the integration and those trying to enforce it. President Kennedy sent the US Army to Oxford to put an end to the violence and enforce Meredith’s rights as an American citizen, but the riot resulted in two deaths and many injuries.

Against this backdrop, the Ole Miss football team was in the early stages of what would prove to be an unprecedented season in school history. Ghosts of Ole Miss explores the intersection of the Rebel football team with this seminal event in the civil rights movement, including tumultuous events that not only continue to shape the state half a century later, but also led to Thompson’s discovery of a personal family connection to the story.

“Ghosts of Ole Miss will shed light on a significant time in our country’s civil rights history while weaving in a sports story not familiar to most,” said Connor Schell ESPN Films vice president and executive producer. “Fifty years later, the topic resonates with all Americans and we are proud to showcase such an important story as part of the 30 for 30 series.”

Ghosts of Ole Miss features personal interviews with James Meredith, former players on the 1962 football team and students who witnessed the riot.

“This story is very personal to me, and I appreciate the care Fritz Mitchell and his team put into getting it right,” said Wright Thompson. “I hope the powerful and important message of the film connects with both people who lived through the civil rights era and those for whom it is something that exists in history books.”

The remaining films for this slate of 30 for 30 documentaries will air as follows:

· Tuesday, Oct. 30, 8 p.m. – Ghosts of Ole Miss (Fritz Mitchell)

· Saturday, Dec. 8, 9 p.m. – You Don’t Know Bo (Michael Bonfiglio)

Each 30 for 30 film will be available on iTunes and Amazon.com the day after its television premiere. The 30 for 30 Film Favorites Collection, a new gift set including the most popular titles from ESPN Films, is now available on DVD. 30 for 30-related updates are available at www.facebook.com/espn30for30 and www.twitter.com/30for30.

Comments

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks dope i always wondered what the white racists in the background of those type of pictures are up to now
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks dope i always wondered what the white racists in the background of those type of pictures are up to now

Same MFers would tell you they had 'a black friend'.
  • TheBossman
    Options
    still watching this with the nba starting up tonight.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol...the white folk thought that they were doing no wrong either...and they prolly still believe it.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol...the white folk thought that they were doing no wrong either...and they prolly still believe it.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Times have changed since then, Ole Miss was the last SEC football team to integrate, in 1972.

Number of white starters for Southeastern Conference teams in 2011:

SEC
    Vanderbilt-9/22
    Kentucky-8/22
    Auburn-6/22
    Alabama-5/22
    Arkansas-5/22
    LSU-4/22
    Ole Miss-4/22
    Tennessee-4/22
    South Carolina-3/22
    Georgia-2/22
    Mississippi State-2/22
    Floirda-1/22

http://www.castefootball.us/archives/the-racial-state-of-college-football-in-2011/
  • TheBossman
    edited October 2012
    Options
    smh ? brothas lost for not watching this. awell.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL, Florida was a QB controversy away from being 0/22 lmao
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This makes me hate crackas more (the bad ones)
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheBossman wrote: »
    Ghosts of Ole Miss features personal interviews with James Meredith, former players on the 1962 football team and students who witnessed participated in the riot.

^^^ hopefully this will be closer to the truth of the matter. i wonder if they've even changed a bit.
    TheBossman wrote: »
    smh ? brothas lost for not watching this. awell.

smh @ me not watching this. guess i'll wait until december.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol, no kidding. reminds me of:

290px-Little_Rock_Desegregation_1957.jpg
    Hazel Bryan Massery (born Bryan, c. 1941) was a student at Little Rock Central High School during the 1950s. She was depicted in an iconic photograph that showed her shouting at Elizabeth Eckford, one of the Little Rock Nine, during the integration crisis. In her later life, she would attempt to make amends for this and briefly became friends with Eckfordd

In 1998, Massery told The Guardian, "I am not sure at that age what I thought, but probably I overheard that my father was opposed to integration.... But I don't think I was old enough to have any convictions of my own yet." Later in life she changed her mind; she had thought of Martin Luther King as a "trouble-maker", but realized "deep down in your soul, he was right".[citation needed]

In 1963, having changed her mind on integration and feeling guilt for her treatment of Eckford, she took the initiative of contacting Eckford to apologize. They went their separate ways after this first meeting, and Eckford did not name the girl in the picture when asked about it by reporters.[1]

Soon after, the friendship began to fray as Eckford began to believe Massery "wanted me to be cured and be over it and for this not to go on... She wanted me to be less uncomfortable so that she wouldn't feel responsible anymore." Massery also began to revise parts of her story to present the photo as an isolated incident (when she'd been involved in racist dialogue after it) and attempted to avoid implicating her family as a source of racial views. The friendship quietly dissolved in 1999, and she retreated from the public eye, speaking of her public actions as a mistake. The two women have only spoken twice since, both times in 2001 (the first being a call to Eckford during 9/11),[1] though the Masseries sent a condolence card after Eckford's son was killed.[1]

Since the friendship ended, Eckford has spoken of Massery as being exhibitionist and profiteering, and a "born-again bigot"; some view this as overly harsh, as Massery has been one of a small handful of white Little Rock students who have apologized for their actions and had done so earlier and with far more frequency.[1] Eckford has also stated that Massery helped her a lot during their brief friendship and she would like the chance to tell her this.[1]

i guess that people rarely ever change in the end. you can go from being a white racist to being a white sympathizer, but what's the point when you're so brainwashed and ignorant that you still can't empathize with blacks and see them as equal human beings just like yourself?
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^Bottom line cracka always gonna be a cracka no matter what the situation is
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw the re broadcast yesterday and cot damn! The thing that shocks me the most is not the hate against black folks cause ive known that....but the resentment against the northern white folks like kennedy and the national guard troops. Ive always known of this hate but this video made me see they hate the yankees almost as much as they hate black folk.

Just from the tone of the riots and southern folk I can see more of why they assasinated the kennedy's.
  • TheBossman
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    I saw the re broadcast yesterday and cot damn! The thing that shocks me the most is not the hate against black folks cause ive known that....but the resentment against the northern white folks like kennedy and the national guard troops. Ive always known of this hate but this video made me see they hate the yankees almost as much as they hate black folk.

Just from the tone of the riots and southern folk I can see more of why they assasinated the kennedy's.

like they said in the film, they were saying "the south will rise again" as late as the 90's like the southern laws (jim crow) was going to come back or some ? , smh.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't see it, but didn't need to, I'm WELL aware of the history ...having lived in Mississippi for the longest. The area around Oxford is still heavy racist as ever..........
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    at least those players somewhat admitted they thew molotov cocktails and ? even though i suspect some of them went a lil further than that. But to put it in persepctive how many ? would go on tv and admit they looted during the rodney king riots?
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the brotha looked nervous, lol......
  • TheBossman
    Options
    who James Meredith? nah, he really wasn't tho.