HS football players befriend disabled girl and stop her bullies

Options
sully
sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
QUEEN CREEK, Ariz. -- This story starts with high school hierarchy. The kind where kids like seniors Carson Jones and Tucker Workman sail through their classes and lead the undefeated football team.

“It's senior year, you know, it’s pretty exciting," Workman said. "It’s a rush, it goes by so fast but it’s fun."

At the same time, students like Chy Johnson just try to make it through the day.

“The girl threw trash at me," Chy said, describing one of the girls who bullies her.

The 16-year-old sophomore was born with a brain disorder, and kids picking on her because of her differences have always been a part of life. But this year, her mom had enough of her coming home crying every day. She decided to call on a family friend for help. It was Carson Jones, starting quarterback.

"I emailed Carson and told him Chy was having some issues," Elizabeth Johnson said. "I just wanted names...but he took it a step further and went and gathered her at lunch. And she’s been eating with them ever since!"
From first hour through the end of the day, Chy’s guys from the team make it a point to look after her. And this group’s newfound friendship has changed the high-school game.

“They’re not bullying her anymore because they’ve seen her with us or something," Jones said.

He and his friends are modest about their small act, but to Chy, their efforts have made high school is a new world -- a safe one.
"They save me because I won’t get hurt again," Chy said.

It's all because a group of boys broke those silly social rules. They've now earned a grateful and loyal friend.

"It feels good to know that we helped someone else, because you know, we’re doing good, everything for us is going well, but someone else needs to feel good, too," Workman said.

"They’re not mean to me, because all my boys love me," said Chy. "So much."
Chy Johnson and Carson Jones will be acknowledged by the Arizona State Legislature in 2013 for their anti-bullying efforts.

Comments