Non-Biased thread: What is a classic?

Options
ohhhla
ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in The Reason
Like my homie said Food & Liquor is classic, I told him no because it had no impact.

He said ? had no impact, I'm literally out of it from that comment.

I love Food & Liquor but the ? ain't no classic.

I used to think so, too.

What is the hip hop definition of a classic?

Comments

• FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm convinced that nobody knows. That ? from life+times was hollering Flockavilli was a classic a few days ago.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    An objective view takes impact into account but ultimately when we think of say What's Going On? by Marvin Gaye none of us have first have knowledge of what it was like when it was released, so how do we judge its impact? Clearly we don't. I've always seen What's Going On as a classic album because of the music featured within and how much time has passed without time diminishing its greatness.

Ultimately that's the mark of a true classic: quality over time.

With hip-hop though, which is an artform less than 40 years old, we don't really have the "time" element because there hasn't been a helluvalot of time that has passed. For instance, I once saw in an FYE $5 bin true classics like Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On and Eric B. & Rakim's Paid In Full. I mean put on your thinking cap, that Marvin album is about 10 years older than Paid In Full, how are they equals? How is Illmatic equal to Thriller? It can't be. Not nearly enough time has passed.

So we can't use time (unless its time relative to the age of the artform, which is fair), but we can assess quality over time. A rap album released in 1995 or 1984 is young in the realm of music but old in rap years.

In the end, quality matters more than time, more than impact because its the only thing that can be assessed for the next generation. People will not remember how many records it sold or how many awards it got in 15 years, all they will care about is if it holds up and is still high quality material today like it was when it was released.

Fin.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't really put it into words. You just KNOW a classic when you hear one...you can feel it...
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when critical acclaim meets commercial success and touches pop culture
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Just like in say basketball there are different ways to judge an all time great player. Wilt and MJ. Both impacted the game but their styles were different.
    There is not one definite way to judge a classic.

Jay Z Reasonable Doubt was a classic but it didn't have "impact" right away. But Ready To Die had immediate impact.

To me it's how the album is perceived overtime.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    Just like in say basketball there are different ways to judge an all time great player. Wilt and MJ. Both impacted the game but their styles were different.

Jay Z Reasonable Doubt was a classic but it didn't have "impact" right away. But Ready To Die had immediate impact.

I feel that Food & Liquor was a great album and used to be classic.

Since it lacks impact it's not anymore.

Someone said that there's only 30 classic albums.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Jamaica wrote: »

I feel that Food & Liquor was a great album and used to be classic.

Since it lacks impact it's not anymore.

Someone said that there's only 30 classic albums.

Food & Liquor was a good album but it goes back to my argument about being perceived overtime. FnL doesn't get the "Get Rich or Die Trying" or "College Dropout" treatment and those are more recent classics.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think when a piece of music is so strong that is can represent a period in time, that is when it is really classic.

Take this song for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmbhYKDKfU

Cheesy as ? now that you hear it... but this song really embodies that period of the 90s well. Not only did it get a lot of spins, but it was a big part of the night club scene as well which strengthened its impact. People hear this song and go back to that period of time - the dress, the drinks, the night life, who was famous at the time, which clubs were poppin, what was going on in current events and all of that.

Songs themselves are powerful, but the memories and good times we associate with the songs due to their presence at those times is what makes a classic a classic... in my mind anyways.
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    a classic is any album i say is classic
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    if it can stand the test of time, it's a classic.

if it's some ? that was hot for weeks or a few years but now sound boring as ? ....it ain't no classic.