I got a question for the reason board

Options
king hassan
king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cat's always say "so and so not bumping out here" or when such and such record came out it did'nt get no play in my area.. My question is, do you cover your whole area or jus that people in your circle did'nt bump it. I can't say "? in South Shore was'nt bumping whatever, can't cover the whole South Shore. And if a record like "Illmatic" that came out in 1993, which I know cats in Cali was bumping because I was 20 and living out there at the time, how can a cat say what was going on if he was 8 or 9 or even born. That's like me saying Issaac Hayes was'nt getting no play in 1979 when I was six years old, I don't remember that ? . But the first thing that comes out is "record sales". It was a lot of bootlegging going on back then, dub tapes were everywhere, if one cat had it, best believe the whole block was dubbing it. And just because you did'nt dig it don't mean everybody did'nt because you did'nt

Comments

• b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn youre old
  • king hassan
    Options
    damn youre old

Yeah man
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hassan you said nobody in chicago was bumpin reasonable doubt like that in 96,Which is false cuz Iive here just like you do and the ? in my apt complex use to bang brooklyns finest and politics as usual daily that ? had the loudest sound system I ever heard.He had a tracker wit 18's in the bacc wit some crazy amps

You did what you're accusing these other cats of doing
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i feel what u sayin big homie,

but wu-tang didnt get no play round these parts lol....of course its a few "cultured" dudes who listened to different ? here and there...but if i went outside and started asking people right now, c.r.e.a.m would most likely be the only thing that comes up

yeah, i was a kid when "cuban links" came out lmao.....
  • king hassan
    Options
    Hassan you said nobody in chicago was bumpin reasonable doubt like that in 96,Which is false cuz Iive here just like you do and the ? in my apt complex use to bang brooklyns finest and politics as usual daily that ? had the loudest sound system I ever heard.He had a tracker wit 18's in the bacc wit some crazy amps

Never said nobody was bumping it, plenty of cats were, I was saying that it was'nt getting bumped where they put it on this supreme status. I cleary remember 1996 and a lot of cats in the Chi was bumping your west side cats like crazy that year, Jay Z was in the mix to. Master P's Ice Cream Man was bumping and Camp Lo.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly I stopped paying attention to what other ? listened to when my uncle was trying to force feed me No Limit albums in the late 90s. I rarely make those kinds of arguments myself, but when I do, I'm usually talking about my immediate circle of family & friends.

I made almost the exact same argument in a different topic about what a classic really is.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never said nobody was bumping it, plenty of cats were, I was saying that it was'nt getting bumped where they put it on this supreme status. I cleary remember 1996 and a lot of cats in the Chi was bumping your west side cats like crazy that year, Jay Z was in the mix to. Master P's Ice Cream Man was bumping and Camp Lo.

Who You talkin bout pyschodrama and triple darkness? I remember that 'Im cold' song got mad tick

Luchini was gettin bumped cuz I couldn't understand nothin them ? was sayin besides the hook

I just said in another thread I remember Ice cream man that summer cuz I remember bout it and break em off somethin
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember a wutang clan getting some heavy play but newyork people stay moving hear so idk
  • king hassan
    Options

Who You talkin bout pyschodrama and triple darkness? I remember that 'Im cold' song got mad tick

Luchini was gettin bumped cuz I couldn't understand nothin them ? was sayin besides the hook

I just said in another thread I remember Ice cream man that summer cuz I remember bout it and break em off somethin

I was thinking more Crucial Conflict lol. And Twista dropped that dope album in 96 as well. But truthfully, I hated "Ice Cream Man" that beat was blah lol
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think its an age thing....Sometimes I'm like how can a poster from Louisiana speak on what cats in North Carolina listen to but some of these cats speak so confidently about knowing what others listen to.....lol....This cat I kno moved up north from Florida and sun was going word for word with de ja vu {uptown baby}...Dude got offended when we said that we was shocked that he was down with the song.....I didnt say why but shouldve said log on to this site....lol
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol sounds like tommy
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    when they say "nobody" they mean in general ... and in general no one was really bumping Reasonable Doubt like that anywhere even in NY .... there were a few cats here and there that were up on it ... like i had one friend that loved that album .... and i had another friend that was obsessed with that album in the 90s .... and there were alot of people up on jayz but it was mostly due to AINT NO ? getting radio play ... and then you had hip hop heads who knew of jayz but jayz was amongst monster mceez in the 90s it was like JAYZ WHO?? lol ... mostly everyone was pumping Nas Pac, Snoop, Dre & Wutang for the most part during the mid 90s .... ? KRS-1 and Run DMC were probably getting more shine then Jayz was during those times lol .... exaggerating but you get my drift lol ......

Jayz aint have ? on lock until Vol 1 dropped ........ it was a wrap after that
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was living in Harvey when reasonable doubt came out and I as bumpin it too. So I know in the chi it was getting play.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    salute to the ole head King Hassan

i didnt know duke was that old
  • king hassan
    Options

I was living in Harvey when reasonable doubt came out and I as bumpin it too. So I know in the chi it was getting play.

Man what was the name of that radio station @ the time used to play Outkast "Elevators" and Akynele "Put It in Yur Mouth" all the time in 96, was it power 106, cant remember lol. My cousins was living in Harvey on 158 and Myrtly of I'm not mistaken lol
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, thread starter older than Cicely Tyson.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usually a lot of cats will say "so and so wasn't bumpin" because they don't know what's happening outside of their circle. To take the example of "Reasonable Doubt", in most of my circle of friends, the only track anyone cared for was "Dead Presidents" and at that it was for the beat, not the rhymes so no one really bought the album. I didn't check for anything Jay Z related until the "Streets Is Watching" videotape came out. That alone prompted me to pick up both Reasonable Doubt and Vol1 'cause some of the tracks from the "movie" were from Reasonable Doubt with "Friend or Foe" part's one and two being my favorite segments.

But I was the outlier, nobody in my circles were checking for Jay.

That's not to say that Detroit on a whole wasn't checking for his ? , I'm pretty sure they were some folks that was checking for him, but when you consider that the first video he dropped on MTV for the album was "Sunshine", most were probably like "? is this dude doin? I'll pass" and still wasn't trying to see his ? .
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, if the argument is centered around older records it makes sense but the person making the argument is playing themselves because, back in the day cats were still fighting to get Hip Hop on the radio. So, only major markets would even have Hip Hop shows on the airwaves. Unless you were the type of person that dug in the crates, or hung out at Hip Hop events you either didn't hear any Hip Hop at all or you got what was being pumped locally.

I find myself laughing at folks who make this argument because, the artist that are mostly bought up and even said are\were better then the artist that were making noise is purely absurd. Even if the listener wasn't into artist who they say didn't get burn. I bet the artists they did listen to knew about the artists they say didn't get burn.

Example. Dudes saying well Wu-Tang aint get play in they area but they listen to Bun B. Raekwon let's it be known he been down with Bun since ____. So, it shows who the real Hip Hop cats are and those that just show up to yap they gums while showing how ignorant they are about Hip Hop.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't give a ? what other cats in my area listening to cuz they listen to mostly garbage. I be puttin all them up on good music
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Florida was not ? with illmatic like that by Florida I mean black
  • king hassan
    Options
    PK_TK_187 wrote: »
    West Coast wasnt ? with Illmatic like that
    dudes need to quit making ? up

This is a perfect example of an young idiot talking reckless
    LOL and like I stated earlier I was in Cali when Illmatic dropped, they were ? with it, it just there was a lot of ? popping at the same time too so they were playing other ? too as well. I'd go to somebody crib and hear that, ? , Chronic, The Wu, Black Moon, ? was just not close minded and the market did'nt have a million rappers either, and like someone said, maybe his circle did'nt mess with it but my circle was big. Wonder if my man was a teen or grown in 1993
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My extra large coffee is too small
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    *illmatic wasn't truly appreciated by the masses until significantly after its initial release post*
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even I had a Mighty Ducks jersey in the early 90's and I was a lil ass kid.
  • emanuel08
    emanuel08 Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options

I remember a wutang clan getting some heavy play but newyork people stay moving hear so idk

yep, especially white dudes but i dont remember anyone bumpin nas until 96

off topic , naughty by nature always got love down here