"Why Doesn't MTV Play Music Videos"... MTV responds and ethers our generation into non-existence.

Options

Comments

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn..the part about getting old hit my soul

i look at pop culture right now and im like wtf ? ....

I hate the fact that pop stars are a good 5-10 years younger than me. With even ? music than I can imagine.

But we done this to ourselves. Downloading in excess and watching the likes of youtube all the time does this to you.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Funny video, but I'm not buying the "illegal downloading" argument as the sole reason for music industry being in the shape it's in, especially an industry with a documented history of ? over artists, prior too and after these technological advances.

• HipHopIsCool
    HipHopIsCool Members Posts: 95
    Options
    some people mad that the ether was about them and illegal downloading .....
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They started fazing out Music Videos long before reality TV and internet really hit... TRL would only play like 20 sec of a video on the countdown..
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a classic example of an industry blaming its constituents for its fuckery.

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Amotekun wrote: »
    This is a classic example of an industry blaming its constituents for its fuckery

pretty much.

MTV was playing videos long enough that The Clipse first joint "The Funeral" got play on there ('99 IIRC) but the shows that people actually liked to watch on MTV were all cancelled to make room for more Real World knockoffs. The MAXX - cancelled, Liquid Television - cancelled, Daria - cancelled, Beavis and Butthead - cancelled (then brought back)...

? sucks, but at least there's MTV2 and whatnot.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    And it was cheaper to make reality TV shows that were ? mindless than spend money to keep playing videos.

Where did you get your education homie? So you are saying it is cheaper to pay the "actors", producers, camera men,caterers & the licensing fee for generic reality show music, than it is to put the same 20 videos on rotation all day? That makes no sense.

They don't show videos because the reality show bring in more money. Why would anyone watch a videos show in 2012 when you got youtube & countless other ways to see them whenever you want.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    And it was cheaper to make reality TV shows that were ? mindless than spend money to keep playing videos.

Where did you get your education homie? So you are saying it is cheaper to pay the "actors", producers, camera men,caterers & the licensing fee for generic reality show music, than it is to put the same 20 videos on rotation all day? That makes no sense.

They don't show videos because the reality show bring in more money. Why would anyone watch a videos show in 2012 when you got youtube & countless other ways to see them whenever you want.

This is true: Record labels pay for videos out of the recording artist's budget, then they send them out to video outlets like MTV and BET to get spins. If anything, the labels pay the video channels to get rotation, meaning a source of revenue for MTV was cut off when they decided to go 98% reality tv. This is where the advent of MTV2 and the rest of the sub-networks came from; to regain that revenue stream flowing from videos that they lost.

Reality shows do cost money... a lot of money. Far cheaper than a sitcom, but waaaaaaaaaaaaay more money than a typical video rotation block with a VJ running it.

... And most of that ? is scripted too, so you have to include script writers in the budget for "reality" shows.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems like natural progression given the circumstances and current technology. *shrug*
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i have no idea what any of these new rappers even look like
  • --vincenzo--
    --vincenzo-- Members Posts: 142
    edited November 2012
    Options
    mtv never made a single cent off record sales, they couldnt care less if anyone goes out and actually buys the cd, i fail to see the relationship (check out youtube all these nicki minaj, justin bieber videos still get like a 100 million viewers even without "outlandish" funding, so people arent bothered by not having speedboats in the videos obviously...)

and i mean if they were about ratings they would produce stuff like how i met your mother, big bang theory, games of thrones etc.

truth is mtv is just a pretty much irrelevant niche channel that always had poor ratings since its beginning in the 80s because it almost exclusively appeals to a very small demographic. therefore they choose to produce reality tv since it is cheap as f*ck and they don't have to pay ASCAP every single time they choose to re-run a jersey shore episode --->>>> more $$$ for mtv
  • Gooner
    Gooner Members Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i played the 2 parts where she walked away a few times to see a backshot
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    downloading had nothing to do with it. There were shows like Love Lines, beavis and butthead, daria, my so-called life, house of style, liquid televsion, and of course the real word that took up the time slots where music videos would normally be shown way before any of us knew what downloading was and it arguably started with remote control. All of these shows had success and non of them were about music. Nice try and nice presentation though.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MTV WAS dope back in the days.
    Let´s keep it real.It went corporate.Corporations are afraid of taking chances but chances makes millionaires and billionaires.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MTV Jams and VH1 Soul >>>
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im sure there was some ether in there somewhere but I was just focused on the many ways I would smash Natalie
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    MTV Jams and VH1 Soul >>>
    centric
  • CNNwatwat
    CNNwatwat Members Posts: 17
    Options
    YEA..THOSE DAYS BEEN OVER, LET EM GO
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • can'tyoutell
    can'tyoutell Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When trl died it was pretty much an indication that music on tv was done. the end of an era.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Y'all ? can stop watching jersey shore if you don't like it. I ain't watched mtv in so damn long
  • Dr. Stitch
    Dr. Stitch Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And the fact that essentially anyone with a computer can make a music video now, its watered down the music video industry...music videos used to be assosiated with "larger than life" artists that one could only dream to live like!! Not these shallow, ordinary clown ass muppets that call themselves musicians...
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't watched any music channel in over a decade and that is being 100% real. Man I feel old. :(

But on the real MTV and BET got stale because they started doing the same ? the radio stations did and that's play whoever paid the most over and over again. It was cool when they would show new artist from time to time but those instances were few and far between
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even know what channel MTV or MTVJams is on.

It's been at least 5 years since I've watched either.