Man of Steel will set up Justice League movie, hints director.

Options

Comments

• Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but that goes for any movie ever made, any well executed movie be box office gold

Bruh, you know whats up. It isnt about "fanboyism" or whatever dildoinski called it. ? is just cold hard facts.

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt we both say we would see a JLA movie?

I dont think ? are actually digesting the posts.

• Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL smh...were cats not in here questioning the popularity of WB/DC characters (or supposed lack thereof) and their ability to be successful on screen? Were cats not questioning the strategic moves of said company and their ability to successfully launch characters in a manner opposite to that of Marvel? Did I not just pose an argument by which WB/DC could legitemately do so? Can't speak for anybody else but I had no issues whatsoever digested yall arguments. It seems you're having issues digesting mine however.

And for the record, no not every well executed movie is box office gold. A well executed World's Finest or JL movie however definitely would be based merely on the characters involved. AGAIN, my point is, good script and good director, JL doesn't need a build up like Avengers and it will be just as successful, if not moreso.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    if DC had ? they'd give us a black adam pg 13 film starring the rock about his past in Egypt
    and a Lobo film wich there is one rumored to be...and rock is in the running...id rather see him play teth though
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no idea how you would pull off an aqua man film though...only thing I can think of is some kind of Atlantis vs the surface movie premise...and they can do Atlantis like they did jar jar binks people in star wars episode 2...CGI wise
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    I have no idea how you would pull off an aqua man film though...only thing I can think of is some kind of Atlantis vs the surface movie premise...and they can do Atlantis like they did jar jar binks people in star wars episode 2...CGI wise

Yo if they followed the Justice League cartoon episode about Atlantis for the JL film it'd be dope...

If you haven't seen it, Aquaman is fearful that the 'surface dwellers' will attack so he made a device that would melt the polar icecaps as a backup...His brother (who wants to be king) sets off the device and the League stop him
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    Lol yea that's what I want to see...a ? who will ride dolphins to the final boss battle...

Wonder Woman...Black Widow

Flash...Hawkeye

Superman...Captain America

Batman...Iron Man

Green Lantern...Hulk

(somebody)...Thor

the visual of the bolded had me lmao!
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL smh...were cats not in here questioning the popularity of WB/DC characters (or supposed lack thereof) and their ability to be successful on screen? Were cats not questioning the strategic moves of said company and their ability to successfully launch characters in a manner opposite to that of Marvel? Did I not just pose an argument by which WB/DC could legitemately do so? Can't speak for anybody else but I had no issues whatsoever digested yall arguments. It seems you're having issues digesting mine however.

And for the record, no not every well executed movie is box office gold. A well executed World's Finest or JL movie however definitely would be based merely on the characters involved. AGAIN, my point is, good script and good director, JL doesn't need a build up like Avengers and it will be just as successful, if not moreso.

Overzealous fan post^. Because the cartoons are dope doesnt mean it will transition to a dope movie. And you keep saying the same ? . That they dont need a build up. I got a couple of things to say to that. One, if that was the case, JL would have been out long before the Avengers. Two, if they wanted just the fans money then they wouldn't have been betting on getting Superman done right first. Its not about the fans or what the fans know. Its about competing against the present stride in the Marvel brand in movies. I have said that to you in numerous ways.

Thats why Nolan is working on Superman. You cant possibly really think that if they just brought out JL without build up it would flourish. Half the fans would watch it...the other half would download it. Where the real money is, the general public, wouldn't even care about it. It would be crushed under Avengers weight. And thats even stacked high being that Avengers already been out so peeps are expecting a second outing on a formula they do know but refined to do better than JL first outing after numerous rocky starts for its solo members movies.

Thats how a consumer thinks. Im talking business. You talking general fandom
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And by no means am I suggesting it is. The caveat here is execution. A well executed World Finest or JL film will do Avengers numbers (and in my opinion likely surpass them). I'm speaking to that 1.5 billion worldwide gross. Cats can poo poo on Supes or WW all they want but the fact remains these are extremely recognizeable entities globally. You put together a well executed team up film with these entities and the general audience will flock in droves. People need to really sit back and think about a flim in which Superman and Batman are on the same screen together and imagine the type of excitement THAT alone would generate. Not only would it rival Avengers domestically it would ? overseas.

My ? , not extremely popular entities, but arguably the most recognizable popular culture icons in the world. A person would literally have to go to the deepest reaches of the Amazon rain forest or the jungles Paupa New Guinea, then find some muthafuckas who have either limited or no contact with the outside world to find people who don't know who Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman is. The most recognizable characters in the world are Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man, you can make strong arguments for Betty Boop, Popeye, and that big head Hello Kitty ? .
    darkone360 wrote: »
    Lol yea that's what I want to see...a ? who will ride dolphins to the final boss battle...

the visual of the bolded had me lmao!

Word, that ? is funny as hell. There's a GIF of Aquaman doing just that.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options

My order goes:

Micky Mouse, Homer/Bart, Superman, Bugs then Bats
  • Maximus Rex
    edited December 2012
    Options
    And Disney owns Marvel...your point is what? You sidestepping bruh

The discussion is not what company owns what but the familiarity of Marvel/DC characters with the general public and how it would affect ticket sales when the JLA comes to the big screen. Money talks.

I don't care who owns what. The point remains. People will recognize the patriotic CA, or the angry man turned green raging machine Hulk, and the arrogant playboy who dons the Iron Man suit than they will DC characters.

Those characters are household names. ? even I have heard some folks get Superman and Batman confused as Marvel characters.

I'm just being realistic here. What's the last DC movie that people recognized? Batman? Does the general public even know that was a DC movie? Meanwhile you got Iron Man movies, the drama over the Ed Norton version and Eric's with the Hulk. XMen movies. All these things, you know off jump, are Marvel.

People remember in the opening scene of any marvel movie, turning of comic book pages with the red background appearing behind white letters that say Marvel. So when they see a Marvel product, they will go to it due to the branding. When Marvel makes something, they are putting their stamp on it.

DC, at the current moment, have nothing to offer besides Batman. And even in the Batman movies with Chris Nolan, DC has not established their name brand.

It's called smart business and branding. Something DC has trouble with (with the big screen of course), especially with Marvel making so many moves as of late.

I'm all for a JLA movie. But DC needs to get their brand name out there to the general public. I'm not talking about the fans because you can't guarantee fans will support it, no matter what you say. They gotta make a believable statement. Superman is in the right direction but can the other character movies follow?

In a Puffy voice, You know we had to do a remix, right. Now let's travel to an alternate timeline. It's 1996 and we're in a Rap Room on the new internet provider America Online. The previous discussions were about how the ? media made what was initially a beef between Death Row Records and Bad Boy Records, into bi-coastal feud between rappers from the East and West Coast. Since the room is frequented by comic book fanboys, the discussion turns to Marvel Comics Entertainment seemly inability to not only put out a decent movie, but to get such a film to the big screen, we join the discussion in progress with the re-edited portions underlined and italicized.

.....your point is what? You sidestepping bruh. The discussion is that Marvel, (with the exception of Spider-Man and The Hulk) the general public is relatively unfamiliar with Marvel characters, plus Marvel is making wackass movies that the general public doesn't know or give a ? about. That's why The WB makes movies with Superman and Batman, the general public knows these characters and Warner Brothers knows how it would affect ticket sales, if there'e enough interest to possibly bring a JLA to the big screen. Money talks.

The point remains. People will recognize Superman who is not only patriotic, but as an American icon, or The Batman, the angry man who grew up an orphan and a victim of a violent crime, and people still remember the Wonder Woman series from the '70's starring Lynda Carter than they will Marvel characters.

Those characters are household names. ? even I have heard some folks get Spider-Manand The Hulk confused as Marvel characters.

I'm just being realistic here. Every time Marvel ties to put out a major motion picture it ends up in "production purgatory," or it's a "craptacular," ? hat does straight to video, like The Punisher with Drago, the Captain America movie, and that hella weak Fantastic Four movie where The Thing look hella fake and Johnny didn't "Flame On!" until the end of the movie. The only have relatively decent Marvel projects outside of animation was the Hulk series with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. The Hulk TV movies were cool once you got past the part Daredevil was in a black uniform and Thor was written and portrayed out of character and he kept calling The Hulk a "green troll." Do people even realized that superheros belong to separate companies? Does the general public even know that The Incredible Hulk," a Marvel inspired T.V. series?

People remember in the opening scene of any [/u]Superman movie, with opening cords of the string section, the cellos and the basses, but if you don't know the music then, you'll definitely know the piece when the horns kick in. The theme to Superman is only rival by the theme to Star Wars on the epicness scale. So when they see a DC product, they will go to it due to the branding. When DC makes something, they are putting their stamp on it.[i/]

Marvel at the current moment, have nothing to offer possibly Spider-Man. And even in then, Marvel would have long way to go to established their name brand.

It's called smart business and branding. Something ]Marvel has trouble with (with the big screen of course), especially with Warner Bros. making so many moves as of late.

I'm all for a Marvel movie. But Marvel needs to get their brand name out there to the general public. I'm not talking about the fans because you can't guarantee fans will support it, no matter what you say. They gotta make a believable statement. Spider-Man would be in the right direction but can the other character movies follow?

Not to pick on Doc Chemix, but I did that "lil remix," to illustrate a point, that I'm hoping that you're all now enlightened to. Change the date, the name of the company, and the characters, and we could of been EASILY talking about Marvel. I'm telling my age, but those of you that are old enough to remember, will tell that for the longest time, Marvel couldn't even get a movie based on one who it's characters to theaters, let along make a decent one. That's one of reasons why it took so long for Marvel movies to come out, due to legal entanglements Marvel made with other companies to make movies. You also had to factor in the fact about fifteen years ago, Marvel was suffering from severe financial problems, and had filed bankruptcy. This was around the time Ron Perelman was heading the company and the every title, (with the exception of Spidey,) was mutant related, they had all of those ? variant covers. Marvel came very close to not existing.

The key to the a successful JLA franchise is the script and the execution. If you focus on that, and not worry about the cross town rivals are doing DC will be fine.

Also ? seem to forgot what cemented this genesis and exploration into the superhero film genre. It was a second or maybe even third tier character, that only ? fanboys knew about on top of being black. Now if somebody would have told us that Blade would be the character would spark the interest in movie studios exploring the possible financial viability, we all would have been "Get the ? out of here," for all of the reasons I just stated. We all would've been like, if anything they're going to be Spidey, possibly X-Men, or maybe even a solo Wolverine movie.

• Maximus Rex
    Options
    willhustle wrote: »
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    so ? telling me a JLA movie wont outsell a Avanger movie at the boxs office when it comes out

I hate to say it be true but ever since WB has been distributing the Superman movies the last 3 in the franchise has been horrible Superman III was the worst out of them. Superman returns was just boring as ? and Bryan Singer tried to go back and use the formula and continue the storylines of Superman I & II which made it look very outdated.

That was the problem with Superman Returns the tie-in to the Donner film, my potna Chuck and were like, "what the ? is Superman is returning from and why?" At that point when that film was released Superman IV: The Quest for Peace was released nineteen prior to Superman Returns why in the ? are you trying to tie them in? ? made absolutely zero sense.
  • Still Cool Beans
    edited December 2012
    Options

Overzealous fan post^. Because the cartoons are dope doesnt mean it will transition to a dope movie. And you keep saying the same ? . That they dont need a build up. I got a couple of things to say to that. One, if that was the case, JL would have been out long before the Avengers. Two, if they wanted just the fans money then they wouldn't have been betting on getting Superman done right first. Its not about the fans or what the fans know. Its about competing against the present stride in the Marvel brand in movies. I have said that to you in numerous ways.

Thats why Nolan is working on Superman. You cant possibly really think that if they just brought out JL without build up it would flourish. Half the fans would watch it...the other half would download it. Where the real money is, the general public, wouldn't even care about it. It would be crushed under Avengers weight. And thats even stacked high being that Avengers already been out so peeps are expecting a second outing on a formula they do know but refined to do better than JL first outing after numerous rocky starts for its solo members movies.

Thats how a consumer thinks. Im talking business. You talking general fandom

Nonsense. I'm talking general audience. Once again, READ my posts. In every one of them I've spoken to the knowledge of the general audience. The general audience already knows the DC Trinity. You can't possibly be trying to argue that they don't? Comparing the familiarity of the general audience with the Avengers pre-phase 1 to that of the DC Trinity, there is no comparison. That is specifically why in order for the Avengers to succeed at the level it did it was absolutely necessary to have solo films. To intro the general audience to those characters.

The reason why a JL movie hasn't been made already is due to WB's incompetence and lack of vision, which has been on display for years. Bad idea after bad idea. Bad decision after bad decision. Now if you want to argue that a JL movie wouldn't be successful because of WB's lack of competence and that they're bound to ? it up, then by all means have at it. You won't get an argument from me. But don't tell me a JL movie can't be massively successful because of lack of lead up films like Avengers. Child please. LOL @ you thinking the general audience is so sophisticated to think "wait this movie with Batman and Superman isn't gonna have any solo lead up films like the Avengers, meh I'll pass." You can't be serious lol. All the general audience cares about is wow factor. To be entertained. Three well known entities in a blockbuster movie (two of which are the most recognizable on the planet; not amongst fanboys but the masses) + action packed trailers = general audience interest peaked.

But I can see right now that we're never gonna agree on this because you seem to honestly believe that a film in which Batman and Superman share the same screen isn't enough to secure the interest of the general audience. Ok buddy lol
  • Still Cool Beans
    edited December 2012
    Options

The discussion is not what company owns what but the familiarity of Marvel/DC characters with the general public and how it would affect ticket sales when the JLA comes to the big screen. Money talks.

I don't care who owns what. The point remains. People will recognize the patriotic CA, or the angry man turned green raging machine Hulk, and the arrogant playboy who dons the Iron Man suit than they will DC characters.

Those characters are household names. ? even I have heard some folks get Superman and Batman confused as Marvel characters.

I'm just being realistic here. What's the last DC movie that people recognized? Batman? Does the general public even know that was a DC movie? Meanwhile you got Iron Man movies, the drama over the Ed Norton version and Eric's with the Hulk. XMen movies. All these things, you know off jump, are Marvel.

People remember in the opening scene of any marvel movie, turning of comic book pages with the red background appearing behind white letters that say Marvel. So when they see a Marvel product, they will go to it due to the branding. When Marvel makes something, they are putting their stamp on it.

DC, at the current moment, have nothing to offer besides Batman. And even in the Batman movies with Chris Nolan, DC has not established their name brand.

It's called smart business and branding. Something DC has trouble with (with the big screen of course), especially with Marvel making so many moves as of late.

I'm all for a JLA movie. But DC needs to get their brand name out there to the general public. I'm not talking about the fans because you can't guarantee fans will support it, no matter what you say. They gotta make a believable statement. Superman is in the right direction but can the other character movies follow?

In a Puffy voice, You know we had to do a remix, right. Now let's travel to an alternate timeline. It's 1996 and we're in a Rap Room on the new internet provider America Online. The previous discussions were about how the ? media made what was initially a beef between Death Row Records and Bad Boy Records, into bi-coastal feud between rappers from the East and West Coast. Since the room is frequented by comic book fanboys, the discussion turns to Marvel Comics Entertainment seemly inability to not only put out a decent movie, but to get such a film to the big screen, we join the discussion in progress. I underlined portions

your point is what? You sidestepping bruh. The discussion is that Marvel, (with the exception of Spider-Man and the Hulk) the general public is relatively unfamiliar with Marvel characters, plus is Marvel making wackass movies that the general public doesn't know or give a ? about. That's why DC makes movie with Superman and Batman, the general public knows these characters and Time Warner knows how it would affect ticket sales, if there'e enough interest to possibly bring a JLA to the big screen. Money talks.

The point remains. People will recognize Superman who is not only patriotic, but an American icon, or the angry man who grew an orphan and a victim of violent crime, and people still remember the Wonder Woman series from the '70's starring Lynda Carter than they will Marvel characters.

Those characters are household names. ? even I have heard some folks get [Spider-Manand The Hulk confused as Marvel characters.

I'm just being realistic here. Every time Marvel ties to put out a major motion picture it ends up in "production purgatory," or it's a craptacular ? hat does straight to video, like The Punisher with Drago, the Captain America movie, and that hella weak Fantastic Four movie where The Thing look hella fake and Johnny didn't "Flame On!" until the end of the movie. The only have relatively decent Marvel projects outside of animation was the Hulk series with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. The Hulk TV movies were cool once you got past the part Daredevil was in a black uniform and Thor was written and portrayed out of character and he kept calling The Hulk a "green troll." Do people even realized that superheros belong to separate companies? Does the general public even know that The Incredible Hulk," a Marvel inspired T.V. series?

People remember in the opening scene of any Superman movie, with opening cords of the string section, the cellos and the basses, but if you don't know the music then, you'll definitely know the piece when the horns kick in. The theme to Superman is only rival by the theme to Star Wars on the epicness scale. So when they see a DC product, they will go to it due to the branding. When DC makes something, they are putting their stamp on it.[i/]

Marvel at the current moment, have nothing to offer possibly Spider-Man. And even in then, Marvel would have long way to go to established their name brand.

It's called smart business and branding. Something ]Marvel has trouble with (with the big screen of course), especially with Warner Bros. making so many moves as of late.

I'm all for a Marvel movie. But Marvel needs to get their brand name out there to the general public. I'm not talking about the fans because you can't guarantee fans will support it, no matter what you say. They gotta make a believable statement. Spider-Man would be in the right direction but can the other character movies follow?

Not to pick on Doc Chemix, but I did that "lil remix," to illustrate a point, that I'm hoping that you're all now enlightened to. Change the date, the name of the company, and the characters, and we could of been EASILY talking about Marvel. I'm telling my age, but those of you that are old enough to remember, will tell that for the longest time, Marvel couldn't even get a movie based on one who it's characters to theaters, let along make a decent one. That's one of reasons why it took so long for Marvel movies to come out, due to legal entanglements Marvel made with other companies to make movies. You also had to factor in the fact about fifteen years ago, Marvel was suffering from severe financial problems, and had filed bankruptcy. This was around the time Ron Perelman was heading the company and the every title, (with the exception of Spidey,) was mutant related, they had all of those ? variant covers. Marvel came very close to not existing.

The key to the a successful JLA franchise is the script and the execution. If you focus on that, and not worry about the cross town rivals are doing DC will be fine.

Also ? seem to forgot what cemented this genesis and exploration into the superhero film genre. It was a second or maybe even third tier character, that only ? fanboys knew about on top of being black. Now if somebody would have told us that Blade would be the character would spark the interest in movie studios exploring the possible financial viability, we all would have been "Get the ? out of here," for all of the reasons I just stated. We all would've been like, if anything they're going to be Spidey, possibly X-Men, or maybe even a solo Wolverine movie.

Gave you a GOAT for that. And the script and execution is exactly what I've been arguing. The general audience is already familiar enough with DC characters that lead ups are not absolutely necessary in order to succeed.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    JGL needs to do a nightwing movie and they need to cut that ? with calling his name robin, let him reveal his true identity as ? Grayson.

Even though that last Dark Knight movie sucked ass, precede with it into MoS, make a movie with Flash (Seann William Scott), make a Aquaman, WW and Martian Manhunter series like Green Arrow, reboot GL corps with all the Lanterns.

If done like so, that JL ? would be dope.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    i wish they'll go with John Stewart as the lantern if they do make it

who can play a good John Stewart?
  • Maximus Rex
    Options

Jamie Foxx, actually I would like to see the charter members of the JLA, since no incarnation of the Justice League wver had, Superman, The Batman, Diana, Barry Allen, Aquaman, Hal Jordan, or J'onn J'onzz.
  • Sour-Cream
    Options

The all state insurance ?

dennis-haysbert-for-all-state.png?w=560

(j/k)

Will Smith
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sour wrote: »

(j/k)

Will Smith

Will is good and all, but him and Denzel don't have to be every black blockbuster character do they?
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    I say will cause he's young and looks like John Stewart.

LOL @ Denzel though
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    I say will cause he's young and looks like John Stewart.

LOL @ Denzel though

Young? The ? is like 40 years old and since when does a light skin ? look like dark skin on. The same with the All State ? , too. old to begin the training. However, if MM is in it and J'onn is CGI, the All State ? would be the ill voice for the Martian Manhunter.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You forgot that Bats/Supes predates any of the Marvel superhero, and WW isn't well known. And the Nolan Batman movies have established the brand name.

I love both DC and Marvel, and I think done right JL will be something to counter Avengers, because JL stories as a rule are more darker.

Stop acting like a blind Marvel fanboy (at least that what it's sounds like when you typed). Fans will support it, don't worry.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options

(j/k)

Will Smith

You mean Dennis Haysbert aka President Palmer lmao. Nah, won't make sense. But, if you include Checkmate (the DC Universe version of a CTU from "24" is the best way to explain it) , he could easily play one of the chess pieces (King or Bishop) that are the directors of one of the Checkmates hq.

John Stewart will have to be a young dude, but a Marine Corps looking dude (since John was in the Armed Forces). And will have to be belivable as something with a strong "will" since his will is as strong or stronger than Hal Jordan at times.

I wonder who the enemy in the JL movie will be ? If they want to start off with a bang, get it started with Prometheus (with Darkseid pulling the strings in the backgorund).
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    Technically you're right, DC characters do pre-date Marvel characters, but not by much Cap and Namor are Golden Age heroes that debuted in either 1940 or 1941. What happened was the superhero genre fell of in the '50's, (with the exception of Supes, The Batman, and Wonder Woman.) When the Silver Age started and DC remixed its universe with that multiverse ? , Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Steve Ditko started what we now know as the Marvel Universe. Stan Lee (along with the new characters he helped create,) re-introduced Cap and Namor. Don't be surprised if Namor and the original Human Torch pop up in the new Cap movie.

When you say "well known," do mean instantly recognized or familiarity with her skill set? Wonder Woman is arguably the third most recognizable superhero on the planet, behind Supes, and The Batman.

Do you mean JLA stories are darker of late, because back in the day, DC characters were one diminisonal with no depth. That's why the Marvel books took off, Stan Lee, developed the characters into something more than "hero fights villian."
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    How did I sleep on Taye Diggs

.Taye-Diggs-JOHN-STEWART-GREEN-LANTERN-PRIVATE-PRACTICE-CAPTAIN-AMERICA-WARNER-BROTHERS-ACTOR-SUPERHERO-SUPERMAN-BATMAN-JLA-LEEE777.gif

• Sour-Cream
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Lonnie as Green Lantern?
    CommonGreenLantern.jpg

Roger Cross
    roger_cross_as_john_stewart_green_lantern_by_parisnjones-d4zvprf.jpg

26183L.jpg