Lenny Kravitz to star in Marvin Gaye biopic

Options
trilladelic
trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
People_Lenny_Kravitz_0823d-217.jpg?uuid=KW0dqDjrEeKwH19VsZP1jw

Lenny Kravitz will play Marvin Gaye in a biopic about the late R&B singer, reports Rolling Stone. Kravitz, 48, will portray the the D.C. native during Gaye’s final years, when he battled addictions and tried to restart his career before he was killed by his father in 1984. This will be Kravitz’s first leading movie role; he’s had supporting parts in “The Hunger Games” and “The Butler.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/post/in-other-news-lenny-kravitz-to-star-in-marvin-gaye-biopic/2012/11/27/ef8ad436-38ea-11e2-b01f-5f55b193f58f_blog.html

yall think lenny can pull it off?

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i never really seen him act for real so ill take a wait and see approach. The real question is who will play his pops. and what about his ex wife who used to smash Frankie Beverly off aswell. She was gonna write a tell all book at one point but I think she fell back.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn kravitz is almost 50 already?! im gettin ? old man.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was pretty good in "Precious". But yea, they should get someone younger. I wanna see him battling with Motown, and the stuff with Tammy Terrell too...not just the later years. And yea, dude pops was crazy. He used to dress in drag around the house. Been waitin on this biopic for a minute. Has the potential to be better than 'Ray' (which was dope) if done right.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my dad wanted me to go out for the part of marvin gaye. i havent acted in one play in my life
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea let Lenny do it...I can't think of anybody else who can fit that role at the moment.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    i choose this guy

Michael_McDonald_Cover_Art.jpg
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could have gotten Jesse L. Martin from Law and Order.

JesseMartin__120914173927-275x381.jpg

He did Broadway Musicals before.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jesse L. Martin To Play Marvin Gaye In ‘Sexual Healing’, Replaces Lenny Kravitz
    gayemartin__130304181541-575x323.jpg
    After years of gestation and obstacles for a slew of competing projects, a Marvin Gaye feature biopic will be made after all. I’ve learned that Jesse L. Martin will play the Motown legend in the Julien Temple-helmed Sexual Healing, which is slated to start filming in later this month in Europe. Brendan Gleason is set to co-star. Law & Order alum Jesse L. Martin was previously attached to star in the James Gandolfini-produced version of Sexual Healing five years ago. Temple’s Sexual Healing made headlines in November when it tapped Lenny Kravitz for the lead, triggering objections from Gaye’s son, Marvin Gaye III, who asked Kravitz to drop out and threatened legal action against the film. Sexual Healing now appears on track, with Vassal Benford and Fred Bestall producing. The film focuses on the time Gaye spent in Europe in the early 1980s, when the soul singer attempted to get his addictions under control and career back on track with the help of British music promoter Freddy Cousaert (Gleason). Gaye was shot by his father and died in Los Angeles on April 1, 1984. Temple, a video and documentary director, previously helmed Absolute Beginners. Martin, repped by manager Bob McGowan and ICM Partners, recently starred in the NBC pilot The Secret Lives Of Husbands And Wives, which remains in contention for fall. He also has extensive music credentials, including originating the role of Tom Collins in the Broadway production of Rent.
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/jesse-l-martin-to-play-marvin-gaye-in-sexual-healing-replaces-lenny-kravitz/

well what do you know..
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    ^ well damn...i thought lenny was a good choice but i hadn't even thought about jesse martin. great replacement.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Straight to VHS
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did the same damn thing for nina simone biopic, picked zoe friggin saldana of all people
  • BlaqueHoney01
    BlaqueHoney01 Members Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I would love to see this, but I don't think it will happen because the family is against it.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options