Ladies, Would You Marry A Man Without Getting A Ring?

Options
NeighborhoodNomad.
NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would you marry a man without ever having a "wedding" ring?

What is the significance in a ring?

Im very non traditional and somewhat unorthodox, that being said, I cant imagine ever wearing a "wedding" ring, nor do I ever plan on getting one for my wife.

So would you marry that man?
Why/Why not?

Comments

• NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    Yes. I'm non-traditional as well and plan on exchanging a fiscally worthless, sentimentally priceless memento. Plus, I rarely wear rings anyway. Perhaps hand crafted his&her necklaces. Something with a more significant meaning than a price tag for sure.

I like that.

• NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    yes, the wedding ring is a pretty new phenomenon in my culture anyway. i do have/wear one, my husband doesn't, he doesn't wear any jelwery tho

That's whats up. They don't do that in Africa/In your culture?
    Is there anything tangible that signifies marriage?
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    yes, in my culture the man or his family usually pay a dowry to the girl's family. it can be anything, money, jewelry, livestock, property

usually it is jewelry put the concept of a wedding ring is fairly new. something we've adopted from being here

I just learned something new...

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need to find one of these women. ? paying all that money for some material ? when we could use it to make our lives better instead.

A lot of chicks get married for the wedding and not for the marriage.

You just spoke some real ?
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hear of dudes actually financing a two to three year loan over a ring..that's just silly to me.

It would depend on the reason. Lack of money is understandable.
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dislike weddings. the planning is a headache.

my wedding photo consists of me and hubby kissing in our work uniforms. Me in scrubs and him in ? coveralls. I took my lunch early and he met me at the courthouse. We got married and went back to work, lol. At the time he was making $10/hr blowing insulation for a roofing company. I was a CNA. That photo means more to me than any pic i could have taken in a white dress surrounded by bridesmaids because it reminds me how far we've come.

That's love girl!!
    You have a beautiful baby (keep jamel from giving advice to the little man, lol)

=))
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    My Parent's got married at my Aunt's house and they are still married. That extravagant wedding ? is a big waste of money. If u really love someone the cost of a wedding or getting a ring should not matter imo. I'm her's and she's mines that's all that matters
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    My Parent's got married at my Aunt's house and they are still married. That extravagant wedding ? is a big waste of money. If u really love someone the cost of a wedding or getting a ring should not matter imo. I'm her's and she's mines that's all that matters

big weddings are for females bruh .... if she aint trippin about it dudes always prefer to keep that ? low-key...

but ...you know what i never understood .... how come the dude only get a wack ass wedding "band" while the female is out here stuntin' with some multi carat rock tho? ....? .... i want to shine too dammit!
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I want my ring ? .

@Moreno.Kitamura

Baby G...what's poppin?

Any pics from last night?

• Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not non-traditional or unorthodox and I wouldn't want my marriage/husband to be that way either; just my personal preference. So yes I got a ring. Nothing extravagant that required financing, but it's decent. He wears a simple Tungsten band (he hates flashy).

Agreed about the large weddings though. They're a hassle and I could think of 10 ways to better spend that money. We had a very small simple wedding and I was perfectly fine with that....actually it was my idea. Imagine all the money I saved that I can now spend on Jack Daniels. WIN.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ima take a arts and crafts class
  • sweetheart93
    sweetheart93 Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    No. Because I want a ring. No other reason.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lotta logic in this thread sprinkled with the usual byrd seasoning
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    I was married for two years before we bought rings.

When we got married, we were really young & broke. But we didn't want something as superficial as jewelry and a ceremony to make us hold off getting married. Tomorrow ain't promised.

So we did the courthouse thing. Hubby bought me a ring on our second anniversary and tbh I barely wear it. I wear latex gloves for work so it cuts thru every pair. It stays in my jewelry box 90% of the time.

Rings don't matter, tbh. My uncle married my aunt pat & tied a string around her finger 20 years ago. He said 'if she loves me she'll stay regardless." 20 years later & she has enough rings for her hands, toes & mine too.

i dislike weddings. the planning is a headache.

my wedding photo consists of me and hubby kissing in our work uniforms. Me in scrubs and him in ? coveralls. I took my lunch early and he met me at the courthouse. We got married and went back to work, lol. At the time he was making $10/hr blowing insulation for a roofing company. I was a CNA. That photo means more to me than any pic i could have taken in a white dress surrounded by bridesmaids because it reminds me how far we've come.

Billy-D_Approves.gif
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    I want my ring ? .

What does a ring signify to you?

Would it matter if it was a cubic zirconia or something hand-crafted like @sixsicksins said?
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    No. Because I want a ring. No other reason.

why?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6,385 ✭✭
    Options
    I love it @skyler white.
    Thats really beautiful. Weddings are just so not me, at all. What you and your husband did was so romantic, far more than any pre planned ceremony with memorized scripts and such.

Wish you both nothing but love and happiness.
  • sweetheart93
    sweetheart93 Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    why?

Because I just want a ring. I would get him a ring if I asked him to marry me.