RIP Big East...Big East Appreciation Thread

Options
almighty breeze
almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
Big East was created to be a Catholic, Basketball driven power conference for schools with dough but not necessarily a huge campus/student body. Morphed into a lethal force and for long strecthes the best basketball conference in the country with easily the best tournament and some legends made in that alone

While i'm kinda glad the schools finally stood up to the nonsense going on this is very bittersweet for any hoops head out there.
Big East was clawing for survival which is understandable but ? got way out of wack-Tulane, Houston, Boise State- whaaat?

Name some of your favorite Big East Players and Moments
im looking vids up now be back t drop some later...forgiveness if this was done. i aint looking past 3 pages

Comments

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UConn is the one team getting ? with this whole thing
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was at the uconn vs Syracuse 100 overtime game. Never forget that, I always go to the big east tournaments sucks that it won't be around anymore
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i have conference re-alignment and expansion but it is what it is and i'm glad to see that the ACC looks to be on track to regain the CBB crown that they gave away when they tried to become a football conference
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The Big East was the first and I think still the only conference to have three teams in the Final Four. Back in 85 they had St. John's, Villanova, and Georgetown.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaCUy0yf9Zo&feature=share&list=PL9C16182F5E676F84

• ShadyWorldOrder
    ShadyWorldOrder Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ray Allen Uconn hit the GW vs Allen Iverson, Victor Paige and the Hoyas in the Big East Campionship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLjMQTuCrQ
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • almighty breeze
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    The Big East was the first and I think still the only conference to have three teams in the Final Four. Back in 85 they had St. John's, Villanova, and Georgetown.

also had 11 & 9 teams in the tournament. only conference to do that

• ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the ville running through these ?
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got too greedy trying to stay relevant in football
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

your right but as a uconn fan our bandwagon ass community should blame itself for part of that. Louisville beat us out for that latest ACC spot because they support their football and basketball teams for better or for worse. Up here in CT ? only support the team if its a final 4 contender. The attendance for louisville despite 0 national titles on the last decade is nearly sellouts every game. Here in bandwagonville storrs/hartford they have won 3 titles and even in title years we haven't got sellouts for every game.

Had fans packed the football games and basketball games for a decent or slightly above average team and not just the years they had record success they might be in the ACC right now. But people only show up in good times.

• killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

your right but as a uconn fan our bandwagon ass community should blame itself for part of that. Louisville beat us out for that latest ACC spot because they support their football and basketball teams for better or for worse. Up here in CT ? only support the team if its a final 4 contender. The attendance for louisville despite 0 national titles on the last decade is nearly sellouts every game. Here in bandwagonville storrs/hartford they have won 3 titles and even in title years we haven't got sellouts for every game.

Had fans packed the football games and basketball games for a decent or slightly above average team and not just the years they had record success they might be in the ACC right now. But people only show up in good times.

Didnt Calhoun also diss the realignment movement or was that someone else?
  • DubbGotti614
    DubbGotti614 Members Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Options
    All is welcome to the big ten
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RIP

Prob. My favorite college bball conference of all time
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So they are going to be the A-10.

The Big East should have stayed a basketball conference. Still dont see why they panties got in a bunch when Tulane joined. Them Mfer had San Diego State and Boise state playing temporary.
  • bigev240
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    So they are going to be the A-10.

The Big East should have stayed a basketball conference. Still dont see why they panties got in a bunch when Tulane joined. Them Mfer had San Diego State and Boise state playing temporary.

I didn't get that either why they got mad because Tulane was joining the Big East. They kinda felt the same way with East Carolina joining as a football only school.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea i think it was the fact that Tulane joined and was given more of a say than all those other schools just b/c they got a football team.. I heard they want to add Butler.,Xaiver and maybe St Joe's to make it 10 teams.. But villanova not having St Joes in the conference
  • bigev240
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Yea i think it was the fact that Tulane joined and was given more of a say than all those other schools just b/c they got a football team.. I heard they want to add Butler.,Xaiver and maybe St Joe's to make it 10 teams.. But villanova not having St Joes in the conference

They might switch St. Joes with VCU.
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just came in here to say ACC or die mfers!!!
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tragic, the alma mater joined a death trap. At least the Knights can get some get back from the L's they took to USF back in the day. I-4 rivalry renewed.. til one of them leaves too.
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big East basketball is the one of the 1st sporting events I watched when I really started paying attention to sports.
  • almighty breeze
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Lest We Forget

http://youtu.be/OgbvdFW5qoQ

Which is Nothing compared to this

[url="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1s4nKik8WA[/url]

The Big East. So Bout It Bout It
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Georgetown was one of the first teams I can remember following back when I first started watching college basketball. They always had solid teams.